Dog licks his butt...constantly!

Old April 6th 09, 10:27 PM
AllenB AllenB is offline
Junior Member

Default Dog licks his butt...constantly!

Our 5 year old border mix has developed this habit of constantly licking his butt. It's disgusting. He leaves wet marks everywhere! We take him to the park to throw the ball almost every day and wear him out. There is not rhyme or reason as to when he does this. He has his anal glands expressed regularly. Anyone have dogs who have had this issue?
Allen
Old April 7th 09, 02:59 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"AllenB" wrote in message

Our 5 year old border mix has developed this habit of constantly licking
his butt. It's disgusting. He leaves wet marks everywhere! We take him
to the park to throw the ball almost every day and wear him out. There
is not rhyme or reason as to when he does this. He has his anal glands
expressed regularly. Anyone have dogs who have had this issue?
Allen

Of course, any change like this deserves a visit to the vet, but also look
for any recent changes in diet or environment. Sometimes dog food formulas
are changed without notice, sometimes dogs can develop allergies, or this
could be a sign of anxiety.

Muttley often licks his butt for a while and leaves wet marks, but I don't
consider it particularly disgusting. It is just a dog's way of keeping
himself clean. If it upsets you terribly, and you project your emotions to
your dog, he may pick up on that and do this as a calming signal or a form
of OCD.

I'm sure others with more experience will offer other suggestions. I have
not had to deal with many problems with my dog.

Paul and Muttley

Old April 7th 09, 03:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
FurPaw

AllenB wrote:
Our 5 year old border mix has developed this habit of constantly licking
his butt. It's disgusting. He leaves wet marks everywhere! We take him
to the park to throw the ball almost every day and wear him out. There
is not rhyme or reason as to when he does this. He has his anal glands
expressed regularly. Anyone have dogs who have had this issue?
Allen

What does your vet say? Has he been tested recently for worms?
Allergies?

Good for your for giving him adequate exercise - but that doesn't
seem to be the solution to the problem. Seriously - consider the
possibility that his butt itches or burns or is otherwise
uncomfortable, and try to find the cause of that. It is quite
likely to be a medical problem.

FurPaw
--
Don't believe everything that you think.

To reply, unleash the dog.
Old April 7th 09, 03:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
sionnach

"AllenB" wrote in message

Our 5 year old border mix has developed this habit of constantly licking
his butt. It's disgusting. He leaves wet marks everywhere! We take him
to the park to throw the ball almost every day and wear him out. There
is not rhyme or reason as to when he does this. He has his anal glands
expressed regularly. Anyone have dogs who have had this issue?

Only when there has been an underlying physical problem. I'm betting there
*is* a "rhyme or reason" to the dog, even if you haven't picked up yet on
what it is.
Off the top of my head, here are some facts that are missing from your post:

How long has it been since he "developed this habit"?
You say "he has his anal glands expressed regularly" - who does the
expressing? Have they been expressed since this problem began, and if so,
what effect did it have?
Has he been checked for worms?
Has he been bathed with anything?
Have you changed his food, and/or is it possible that the formula of the
food you buy has changed?
Have you had your carpets cleaned, or had your lawn treated?

Old April 7th 09, 11:28 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
~shady angel~[_3_]

"AllenB" wrote in message

Our 5 year old border mix has developed this habit of constantly licking
his butt. It's disgusting. He leaves wet marks everywhere! We take him
to the park to throw the ball almost every day and wear him out. There
is not rhyme or reason as to when he does this. He has his anal glands
expressed regularly. Anyone have dogs who have had this issue?
Allen

--
AllenB

Do you worm regularly? with a decent wormer?