Bush pooper....

Old December 26th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

Default Bush pooper....

The last 6 months I've been blessed with 2 wonderful Greyhounds...My 6 year
old who had a full racing life has a number of idiosyncrasies...The most
interesting of which is his desire to poop on top of bushes...I take pride
in always cleaning up after my pals...Cleaning bushes is not fun...In
addition he poops at least 3-5 times per walk...They have a massive run
which they can use at will and he does but he still must go numerous times
on our daily walks...Numbers 3,...4 and 5 are not shall we say firm and it
becomes a mess...Not sure that there is a solution but maybe someone has
some insightful words...I've even considered some type of spray I could
carry but?????...I remember an urban legend a few years back that a spray
was being developed which used a chemical to freeze it and then make it easy
to remove...Seems like someone could developed something...Anyway...Good
tidings to all and most importantly good health...GG

Old December 27th 06, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 14:27:52 -0800, "Gary G"
, clicked their heels and said:

The last 6 months I've been blessed with 2 wonderful Greyhounds...My 6 year
old who had a full racing life has a number of idiosyncrasies...The most
interesting of which is his desire to poop on top of bushes...I take pride
in always cleaning up after my pals...Cleaning bushes is not fun..

Then don't let him do that.

.In
addition he poops at least 3-5 times per walk...They have a massive run
which they can use at will and he does but he still must go numerous times
on our daily walks...Numbers 3,...4 and 5 are not shall we say firm and it
becomes a mess..

Excitement can do that, but I don't take dogs for a walk until they
eliminate in the yard. Think of the walk as a part of the praise for
going where needed.

.Not sure that there is a solution but maybe someone has
some insightful words.

Diet is obviously a factor, but so are expectations at home. If you
make a point that elimination is yard only, it will happen. But you
have to choose to do that.

Even if you allow him to poop on a walk, don't let him keep stopping
and pooping (which is probably some marking behavior). Be literal -
WALK, don't stop. Being the one who decides how the walk goes, is the
biggest factor here.
--
Janet Boss
Old December 27th 06, 12:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Gary G" wrote in message
The last 6 months I've been blessed with 2 wonderful Greyhounds...My 6

year
old who had a full racing life has a number of idiosyncrasies...The most
interesting of which is his desire to poop on top of bushes...

.........Heh! Think that it's largely a male dog thing - to get the scent
the highest they can. As to the many poops per walk, after spending life as
a track dog he probably wants to leave his scent as many places as possible.

Good tidings to all and most importantly good health...GG

........Same to you Gary.....all the best

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old December 27th 06, 01:56 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky

"Gary G" said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

And how would you recommend I let him know not to poop on a
walk?...

She gave 3 different ways in her post.

1. Make sure he poos in your yard before he leaves. The walk is
the reward for this behaviour.
2. Diet, to a certain degree, is responsible for soft stools.
3. Don't let him do it - keep walking. Reward when he goes
somewhere more suitable.

You'll probably find #3 the easiest to implement.

Old December 27th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
**~~**~~**

POOP-FREEZE Aerosol Freeze Spray for Animal Waste Pick-Up
http://www.poop-freeze.com/
http://www.amazon.com/POOP-FREEZE-Ae.../dp/B0007RS46S

Old December 27th 06, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 15:43:44 -0800, "Gary G"
, clicked their heels and said:

And how would you recommend I let him know not to poop on a walk?...

He doesn't get to go for a walk until he's pooped in the yard. Once
on the walk - keep WALKING. Did you read my post?

--
Janet Boss
Old December 27th 06, 02:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Janet B" wrote in message
news
Even if you allow him to poop on a walk, don't let him keep stopping
and pooping (which is probably some marking behavior). Be literal -
WALK, don't stop. Being the one who decides how the walk goes, is the
biggest factor here.

.........so if my over 10 yr old with a fragile back tries to stop to poop I
should drag her along?

Old December 27th 06, 03:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Gary G

As I said or didn't you read my post he does poop in the yard...I believe
that his living in a crate for his track life taught him to get as much out
as possible whenever he is out...I totally disagree with your rigid answers
to this and am sorry to have asked...Seems your ideas and mine are quite far
apart...Thanks anyway...GG

Old December 27th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:52:36 GMT, "buglady"
, clicked their heels and said:

........so if my over 10 yr old with a fragile back tries to stop to poop I
should drag her along?

If she's that fragile, perhaps walks should be very short. And as I
posted (twice now!) - poop happens in the yard, BEFORE the walk.
--
Janet Boss