E-Collars - with Vibrator?

Old March 23rd 04, 05:55 PM
J1Boss

I have a deaf Dal here in rescue, and I did some reading on deaf dogs.
Apparently some people use a vibrating collar to help train them.

low level stim is useful with deaf dogs as well - the vibration isn't much
different.

Janet Boss
Best Friends Dog Obedience
"Nice Manners for the Family Pet"
Voted "Best of Baltimore 2001" - Baltimore Magazine
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
http://photos.yahoo.com/bestfriendsobedience

Old March 23rd 04, 11:33 PM
sionnach

"Lazy Senior" wrote:

Has anyone had an
experience with a zapper / vibrator collar. Would the vibrator be
similar in results to the beeper I use on the Innotek?

I think that's going to depend on your dog, and possibly on how strong
the vibration is.
The DT Systems collar I use with my JRT has a "pager" function like that;
it works for getting her attention if she's just trotting along doing
nothing, but when she's hunting something she doesn't seem to notice it.
Of course, when she's just trotting along, I don't NEED the pager because
all I have to do is call her; 99.9999 % of the time I don't need the "zap",
either, even when she's hunting.
Since she was already trained to come when called, the only time I use the
collar is if she's heading into danger and is so intent on what she's doing
that she can't hear me.

BTW, beeping collars don't work with her; the beep apparently sounds like
a mouse to her, so she starts hunting around for the source of it. G

But getting back to the point... since your dog is already trained to a
beeping collar, and you have no way of knowing if he'll notice or pay
attention to a vibrating collar, my suggestion would be to find a model that
beeps.

I feel my Innotek is underpowered since my dog ignores all
power settings except #4 which is maximum.

FWIW, I also own a new-model Innotek 300 (the model with the digital
transmitter), which was quite reasonably priced (less than $150), has beep,
continuous, and momentary settings, and goes up to a level 10 (levels are
instantly adjustable from the transmitter). The dog I occasionally use it
with responds to both the beep and to level 1-2 on it; 3-4 is VERY strong
with this collar, and I can't imagine needing anything higher than a 5 with
it, even with an insensitive dog like a Lab.

Old March 23rd 04, 11:39 PM
J1Boss

I can't imagine needing anything higher than a 5 with
it, even with an insensitive dog like a Lab.

I can't remember what model of Innotek I have, but I had a pointer ignore a
neck-muscle-pulsing 9.

Old March 24th 04, 12:43 AM
sionnach

"J1Boss" wrote in message
I can't imagine needing anything higher than a 5 with
it, even with an insensitive dog like a Lab.

I can't remember what model of Innotek I have, but I had a pointer ignore

neck-muscle-pulsing 9.

Hm. Just out of curiosity, under what circumstances, and at what distance?
Personally, I'd be inclined to suspect collar failure if that happened,
especially if the dog was at a distance and/or if there were trees or some
other terrain which could affect range.