Dog haters

Old January 9th 11, 01:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Dog haters

On Jan 8, 10:25*pm, Holly wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. When I had some time to calm down, I tried
to look at things more objectively. I understand what you are all
saying. Not everyone likes dogs, and that's fair enough(even if I have
a hard time understanding it). But I am not the only Dog owner on this
trail who let's their dog roam loose. I really have to wonder why
somebody who doesn't like dogs would go walking in an area where there
are sure to be loose dogs going up to them.

Unless it is a designated "dog area", people have a right to hike,
stroll, etc, where they choose, with the expectation that they won't
be accosted by an off-leash dog.
Old January 9th 11, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Jan 8, 10:25*pm, Holly wrote:
I really have to wonder why
somebody who doesn't like dogs would go walking in an area where there
are sure to be loose dogs going up to them.

Years ago, I used to take my dog to an unofficial dog park.
Basically, a city park where a bunch of us congregated after work
every day. There was a large area in the middle of the park with poor
drainage, resulting in very muddy dog for those who couldn't be
bothered to train their dogs to stay out of it. There were people
who used to walk through the park (generally on the circular path)
coming home from a bus stop after work. I remember several dog owners
asking "why does the guy in the white pants have to walk through the
park and get annoyed when our muddy dogs run up to him?" Well, I
probably wouldn't have made that choice, but it was his right to make
it and the owners of the dogs had a responsibility to not allow their
dogs to approach him. Imagine!

Old January 9th 11, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Sun, 9 Jan 2011 05:36:29 -0800 (PST), Janet
wrote:

On Jan 7, 5:25*pm, Holly wrote:
My dog Jasper absolutely loves to meet new people. When we're out on
the walking trails, he likes to run up to other people to greet them .
He would never bite or hurt anybody, he just wants to say hi, and for
people to pet him. I had a rather upsetting *incident today . we were
out on our regular walking route, when we encounter this youngish
looking guy(I'd say maybe about late 20's early 30's) *coming towards
us from opposite directions, so Jasper immediately runs over, and
started sniffing his leg. He just walked around Jasper and kept on
walking, totally ignoring him.

Me: Don't worry, he's perfectly friendly.
Him: I don't care, I don't want to play with your dog, leave me alone,
not everyone loves dogs you know.

I was in absolute shock. I really can't believe the nerve of this
asshole. Would it have killed him to just take few moments to pet
Jasper. What kind of a loser doesn't like dogs anyway.

I just needed to vent

Seriously? Your dog shouldn't be approaching people without your
permission. YOU need to realize that not everyone will think your dog
is the most wonderful thing that has ever existed. No, not even
guests in your home.

Well, I disagree with that last sentence. I don't let my dogs jump on
people in my home and I expect them to show manners when greeting
people. However, I will not "put the dogs away" for guests who don't
like dogs or anything like that. This is their home, and guests who
don't like dogs can go visit someone else.

Old January 9th 11, 06:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Holly" wrote

Thanks for all the replies. When I had some time to calm down, I tried
to look at things more objectively. I understand what you are all
saying. Not everyone likes dogs, and that's fair enough(even if I have
a hard time understanding it). But I am not the only Dog owner on this
trail who let's their dog roam loose. I really have to wonder why
somebody who doesn't like dogs would go walking in an area where there
are sure to be loose dogs going up to them.

Holly, unless it's specifically designated as a leash free dog park, it's
not legal to do that where I am. They also have lots of warning signs here
on those so stray folks who don't want to have a dog run up to them, won't
have that problem.

In my area, we also have 'pet free' parks where you are not allowed to bring
any pets. Thats so folks with babies and toddlers or dog allergies can have
a place to be with no fear of problems. It's been a bit of an issue as even
service dogs aren't supposed to be there. There's a popular dog park right
next to it though and most folks with service dogs accept this one as it's
also allergy based.

Sorry. Much as I like dogs, I have to side with the guy this time unless
that trail is specifically desgniated as a leash-free dog park.

Old January 9th 11, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote
Janet wrote:

Seriously? Your dog shouldn't be approaching people without your
permission. YOU need to realize that not everyone will think your dog
is the most wonderful thing that has ever existed. No, not even
guests in your home.

Well, I disagree with that last sentence. I don't let my dogs jump on
people in my home and I expect them to show manners when greeting
people. However, I will not "put the dogs away" for guests who don't
like dogs or anything like that. This is their home, and guests who
don't like dogs can go visit someone else.

Smile, I kinda agree and kinda disagree.

See, I do a fair amount of 'freecycle' and I have a standard post I use with
pickups. I not only give the address, I add notes that if you call in
advance I will happily baby-gate off the dogs or in good weather put in
backyard for a bit. I add my phone number and leave it to them. I add that
Cash barks really loud as they drive up if he's lose and sounds scarey if
not a doggie person.

I let them decide if they wanna pet him over the baby-gate (almost all do
once they see him wagging tail so hard he's almost trying to become a
heliocopter). Oh, and he's trained to not bark at strangers once we open
the door so there isn't any barking over the baby-gate inside the house.

I also tell them they *must* warn me if they bring a toddler as I have a
*very* pretty cat who's also not at all toddler friendly. She's easy to
close off in a bedroom though. There have never been any problems with
Daisy-chan, but that's because I make a clear warning to prevent it. Poor
Daisy-chan, magnet for toddlers and can't stand'em.

Old January 10th 11, 02:24 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Um, to make this real simple..... Think law (as already mentioned), and
your pocket book.

In civil law (tort law, lawsuits) cases have been won, claiming assault
because a dog.... that only got it's nose off the owner's property... if
that.... frightened someone.

In my county, the law requires dogs off the owner's property to be under
direct owner control. Because dogs are animals and don't ALWAYS, 100%
of the time instantly respond to owner voice command, from the view of
practicality, that means a leash. Used properly.... not a flexi with
the dog 20 feet away from the hapless owner who forgets to reel the dog
in. It's the easy way to avoid a lawsuit.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old January 10th 11, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote:

Seriously? *Your dog shouldn't be approaching people without your
permission. YOU need to realize that not everyone will think your dog
is the most wonderful thing that has ever existed. *No, not even
guests in your home. *

Well, I disagree with that last sentence. *I don't let my dogs jump on
people in my home and I expect them to show manners when greeting
people. *However, I will not "put the dogs away" for guests who don't
like dogs or anything like that. *This is their home, and guests who
don't like dogs can go visit someone else.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said that even guests aren't
always going to think your dogs are the most wonderful things that
ever existed. Most of my guests are "dog people", but not all. I
am not offended if they don't want to pet my dogs, but I do NOT put my
dogs away either (if I have someone truly fearful, I would probably
not have them to my home, or WOULD put dogs away if it was a very
brief stay). If they don't want the dogs soliciting pets from them
(standing and wagging at them), I tell the dogs to leave them alone.
Not a big deal and no shutting my dogs away. If it is a large
gathering, which is generally the case, there are plenty of people to
provide attention to them. Rudy can charm anyone and Marcie pretty
much just hangs out under the ball holder, waiting for a sucker.

Old January 10th 11, 12:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Jan 9, 1:29*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

See, I do a fair amount of 'freecycle' and I have a standard post I use with
pickups. *I not only give the address, I add notes that if you call in
advance I will happily baby-gate off the dogs or in good weather put in
backyard for a bit. *I add my phone number and leave it to them. *I add that
Cash barks really loud as they drive up if he's lose and sounds scarey if
not a doggie person.

I don't let Freecycle people in my house. I Freecycle a fair amount,
but I leave the items outdoors, preferably at the END of my driveway.
I don't really have a need to interact with the folks picking up. It
is rare that I meet anyone I pick up from either. Most people leave
items outside.
Old January 10th 11, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Mon, 10 Jan 2011 04:32:17 -0800 (PST), Janet
wrote:

On Jan 9, 1:29*pm, "cshenk" wrote:

See, I do a fair amount of 'freecycle' and I have a standard post I use with
pickups. *I not only give the address, I add notes that if you call in
advance I will happily baby-gate off the dogs or in good weather put in
backyard for a bit. *I add my phone number and leave it to them. *I add that
Cash barks really loud as they drive up if he's lose and sounds scarey if
not a doggie person.

I don't let Freecycle people in my house. I Freecycle a fair amount,
but I leave the items outdoors, preferably at the END of my driveway.
I don't really have a need to interact with the folks picking up. It
is rare that I meet anyone I pick up from either. Most people leave
items outside.

Yeah...everyone has the prerogative to do what they want, of course.
We don't seem to have Freecycle here, or if we do I haven't really
found it; but I would not want a steady stream of strangers coming
into my house. And strangers' toddlers? No way.

Old January 10th 11, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote:

Seriously? *Your dog shouldn't be approaching people without your
permission. YOU need to realize that not everyone will think your dog
is the most wonderful thing that has ever existed. *No, not even
guests in your home. *

Well, I disagree with that last sentence. *I don't let my dogs jump on
people in my home and I expect them to show manners when greeting
people. *However, I will not "put the dogs away" for guests who don't
like dogs or anything like that. *This is their home, and guests who
don't like dogs can go visit someone else.

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said that even guests aren't
always going to think your dogs are the most wonderful things that
ever existed.

I realized when I re-read what you said that I had misread it, and
now, of course, I can't remember just what I thought you'd meant. I
certainly don't expect people to think my dogs are the most wonderful
things that ever existed. Why, there are even times when I don't
think that. ;-)

Most of my guests are "dog people", but not all. I
am not offended if they don't want to pet my dogs, but I do NOT put my
dogs away either (if I have someone truly fearful, I would probably
not have them to my home, or WOULD put dogs away if it was a very
brief stay).

One advantage of having a lot of dogs is that it's pretty unlikely
that someone who's really afraid of dogs is going to want to come
inside here. I might corral the dogs in another room too, if it was
for just a few minutes, but if the person was just stopping by to pick
something up or drop something off I'd most likely go outside myself.

If they don't want the dogs soliciting pets from them
(standing and wagging at them), I tell the dogs to leave them alone.
Not a big deal and no shutting my dogs away.

No, I do that too.

If it is a large
gathering, which is generally the case, there are plenty of people to
provide attention to them. Rudy can charm anyone and Marcie pretty
much just hangs out under the ball holder, waiting for a sucker.

We don't reallyhave big parties - our house isn't that big, even
without the dogs. What's a ball holder?