When a dog bites

Old October 21st 03, 09:27 PM
Kind2dogs

Default When a dog bites

I was wondering what happens in your town or city when there is a dog bite?

Where does it get reported?

Who comes out?

What do they want to know?

Do they quarantine the dog?

Do they take the dog or can you have the quarantine at home?

Paulette~

Old October 22nd 03, 12:06 AM
Lone Hansen

"Kind2dogs" wrote in message
I was wondering what happens in your town or city when there is a dog

bite?

Where does it get reported?

Who comes out?

What do they want to know?

Do they quarantine the dog?

Do they take the dog or can you have the quarantine at home?

Paulette~

- I don't know the answer to those questions. I do want to ask what is
considered a bite, is a nip or snap enough or does it have to be all teeth
resulting in a flesh wound ?

Lone

---

Old October 22nd 03, 12:57 AM
Tara O.

It differs depending on the severity of the bite and other pertinent
details. If a dog bites (not mauls) while unattended and off its property
then AC will personally quarantine the dog because the owner showed that
they can't be trusted to keep the dog supervised. If its a bite on the
dog's property and is not severe then AC will often let the dog remain at
the home under quarantine. If its a second offense the dog is confiscated
and can sometimes be returned depending on where/how the incident happened.
Three times and the dog is gone for good. If serious, disfiguring or
disabling injury is inflicted then the dog gets quarantined at AC then
euthanized after 10 days regardless of whether or not its a first offense.

Anything that doesn't break the skin is considered a nip and the owners get
a warning. If a second warning is issued, its accompanied by a fine. If a
third warning is issued, its accompanied by a larger fine (it varies in
range). If a 4th warning is issued then the dog can be confiscated or
ordered pts. Alot depends on the situation and sadly enough on who the AC
officer on call is. Different AC officers operate differently, even within
the same town. Some could care less and act like they're being bothered
when called. Some care alot and some are a bit too overzealous. I've found
this to be true of many town AC officers but then if they're paid next to
nothing, have a poor working environment and there's no incentive to care
about the job then they're not going to.

--
Tara

Old October 22nd 03, 01:17 AM
Kind2dogs

Subject: When a dog bites
From: "Tara O."
Date: Tue, Oct 21, 2003 7:57 PM
It differs depending on the severity of the bite and other pertinent
details.

Yup

If a dog bites (not mauls) while unattended and off its property
then AC will personally quarantine the dog because the owner showed that
they can't be trusted to keep the dog supervised.

Hmmmm
That is not like that here. Of course it does depend on a lot of things.

If its a bite on the
dog's property and is not severe then AC will often let the dog remain at
the home under quarantine. If its a second offense the dog is confiscated
and can sometimes be returned depending on where/how the incident happened.

WOW, I have to say nothing like that here.

Three times and the dog is gone for good.

Not here.

If serious, disfiguring or
disabling injury is inflicted then the dog gets quarantined at AC then
euthanized after 10 days regardless of whether or not its a first offense.

How often have you seen such happen?

Anything that doesn't break the skin is considered a nip and the owners
get
a warning. If a second warning is issued, its accompanied by a fine. If
third warning is issued, its accompanied by a larger fine (it varies in
range). If a 4th warning is issued then the dog can be confiscated or
ordered pts. Alot depends on the situation and sadly enough on who the
AC
officer on call is.

Yes

Now what do you mean sadly enough?

You think a dog that nips should be put to sleep?
Don't you think it is the owners most likely?

Different AC officers operate differently, even within
the same town. Some could care less and act like they're being bothered
when called.

Some care alot and some are a bit too overzealous. I've found
this to be true of many town AC officers but then if they're paid next to
nothing, have a poor working environment and there's no incentive to care
about the job then they're not going to.

Next to nothing? I believe here the starting pay is around 48 for the part time
officer and more of course for the full time officer.

In fact I am thinking now it is even more.

They have a brand new building, new vehicles,and are respected here by all of
us.

We also have five full time NRO's.

Paulette~

--