When Someone Offers Dangerous Advice

Old December 4th 03, 07:13 PM
Marshall Dermer

Default When Someone Offers Dangerous Advice

From time to time, people here offer others inappropriate advice. Though
this is unfortunate, the good part about this newsgroup is that many
contributors "speak" up and can set the record straight.

Nevertheless, a major problem is whether the person who sought
advice can sift out the good advice from the bad advice.

How can we protect the naive person who comes to RPDB from the
advice of someone who chronically offers bad advice?

Well, the usual approach is to exchange posts with the source of bad
advice. Often these messages become increasingly uncivil and the
person who originally sought advice may wonder about whom to believe.

My suggestion, is instead to develop a web page that addresses
chronic bad advice. The web page ought to rationally address the
bad advice and offer readers the option of "talking" with
those who deem the advice inappropriate.

In the future, when such bad advice is posted, regulars can refer
people to the well-crafted and, I would like to believe, credible
rebuttal.

I don't read many of Jerry's posts anymore, but years ago, when
I did, I helped create this webpage with the other RPDB regulars:

http://home.earthlink.net/~tdwillis/.../concerns.html

From time to time, I have offered bad or inappropriate advice
and have learned much from the follow ups. But "the trick" here,
I would think, is to protect the naive person who seeks advice
from those who chronically offer bad advice.

Best wishes,

--Marshall
Old December 4th 03, 07:31 PM
Jokerpit

Do not post if you dont know **** about what your talking
about..And just because you saw it one time or read or heard
about something doesn't mean it is true..

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
: From time to time, people here offer others inappropriate
advice. Though
:
[...]
: From time to time, I have offered bad or inappropriate advice

Old December 4th 03, 07:45 PM
Marshall Dermer

In article "Jokerpit" writes:
Do not post if you dont know **** about what your talking
about..And just because you saw it one time or read or heard
about something doesn't mean it is true..

I don't understand your response.

--Marshall

Old December 5th 03, 12:15 AM
Tricia9999

That's pretty much what happens right *here,* Marshall. Yes, sometimes
it gets a little nasty, but so what? It's a nasty world, outside of
that Ivory Tower of yours. Some day you'll probably have to come down
from that tower, and your experiences *here* will help to prepare you
for life in the REAL WORLD.

LOL. Off topic, but If only you knew how nasty it gets in the Ivory Tower. I
just finished speaking to someone who passed on finishing the PhD, because of
the vicious environment. I live with one of the IvoryTower residents and it
ain't all tea and crumpets, let me tell ya.