Ping: Melanie

Old January 20th 04, 02:30 PM
Gwen Watson

Penny Tose wrote:

Robin said that she assumed I am a big hat. This is not the case
although one of my dogs
has placed in the National Finals in the top 20 and been Nursery
Reserve and
another was first out of 150 dogs the first day of the National Finals
and has won
many well known trials. I give the big hats a run for their money.

Penny do you know Linda Bell by chance?

I am just curious as she was the person who
held the clinic or sort of clinic. It was a great experience.

Her Aussies were quite awesome and her training skill
with dogs was excellent.

Gwen

Old January 20th 04, 05:08 PM
Mary Healey

Melanie L Chang wrote:
When you are working to improve a breed of dogs, it is important to
preserve and improve type.

Contradiction, here. One cannot "preserve and improve" any more than
one can "stand still and move forward".

"Type" is a word that encompasses those
traits that are thought to distinguish the breed from others.

That's one aspect of type, yes. "Type" can also be independent of
breed, or distinguish subcategories within breed.

What this means is that there are two important components to the
definition of "breed": (1) commonality of ancestry and (2) distinguishing
characteristics.

You forgot the most significant component of the definition of "breed" -
arbitrary human constructs.

--
Mary H. and the Ames National Zoo: Regis, Sam-I-Am, Noah (1992-2001),
Ranger, Duke,

Old January 20th 04, 05:18 PM
Mary Healey

Penny Tose wrote:
I am delighted the AKC has only 30,000 or so registrations of border
collies. That shows that border collie breeders are avoiding the AKC,
which is a good thing.

Which is an arbitrary human thing. To define a breed by what it is not
is capricious, not "good".

Ping Melanie Dimpled Chad Dog behavior 4 November 13th 03 04:42 PM
Ping Melanie Dimpled Chad Dog behavior 0 November 13th 03 02:02 PM
Ping Melanie Dimpled Chad Dog behavior 0 November 13th 03 02:02 PM
Ping: Melanie/ Dog "Tents" Shelly & The Boys Dog behavior 0 August 10th 03 05:09 AM
Ping Melanie E-tags Sionnach Dog behavior 0 July 26th 03 06:57 PM