Kennel Cough

Old May 15th 11, 03:21 AM
Junior Member

Default Kennel Cough

Louie, my 4 year old Japanese Spitz has a hacking cough and the vet said it's kennel*cough*even though he was recently vaccinated with Bordatella. He has been prescribed antibiotics but it's been 8 days now and he's still coughing like crazy. I'm afraid I have to bring him back to the vet. Any suggestions?
Old May 15th 11, 10:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On 5/14/2011 10:21 PM, iAmTerri wrote:
Louie, my 4 year old Japanese Spitz has a hacking cough and the vet said
it's kennel*cough*even though he was recently vaccinated with
Bordatella. He has been prescribed antibiotics but it's been 8 days now
and he's still coughing like crazy. I'm afraid I have to bring him back
to the vet. Any suggestions?

The Bordatella vaccine is very close to useless since it doesn't cover
most types of it. Kennel cough is similar to a common cold and usually
goes away on it's own. If it hasn't improved in a few more days the dog
was misdiagnosed. I'd try a different vet. Average time for it to last
is 10 days though. Since it's caused by a bacteria the antibiotics are
useless and would only work to prevent a secondary infection. Your vet
can prescribe a cough suppressant or a bronchodialator.

Many people feel that the side effects of Bordatella are bad enough to
skip it since the actual disease is usually mild and the dog recovers on
it's own.

Char
Old May 15th 11, 01:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Sun, 15 May 2011 05:13:22 -0400, Char
wrote:

On 5/14/2011 10:21 PM, iAmTerri wrote:
Louie, my 4 year old Japanese Spitz has a hacking cough and the vet said
it's kennel*cough*even though he was recently vaccinated with
Bordatella. He has been prescribed antibiotics but it's been 8 days now
and he's still coughing like crazy. I'm afraid I have to bring him back
to the vet. Any suggestions?

The Bordatella vaccine is very close to useless since it doesn't cover
most types of it. Kennel cough is similar to a common cold and usually
goes away on it's own. If it hasn't improved in a few more days the dog
was misdiagnosed. I'd try a different vet. Average time for it to last
is 10 days though. Since it's caused by a bacteria the antibiotics are
useless and would only work to prevent a secondary infection. Your vet
can prescribe a cough suppressant or a bronchodialator.

You've got that backwards, Char. Antibiotics are effective against
bacteria but usually not useful against viruses except to prevent
secondary infection.

Old May 15th 11, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote:

[...]

Yep. you are right. That's what I get for posting so early in the
morning. Having said that it appears that antibiotics are not so good at
working on Bordatella in particular. Part of the problem is that
antibiotics only target certain diseases which has created some which
are immune to antibiotics. IOW each one has certain targets and does not
cover a wide spectrum. Colloidal silver OTOH has a much wider range and
does not create a resistance in bacteria, viruses and other causes of
disease. It just works on a lot more diseases.
Old May 15th 11, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"iAmTerri" wrote in message

Louie, my 4 year old Japanese Spitz has a hacking cough and the vet said
it's kennel*cough*even though he was recently vaccinated with
Bordatella. He has been prescribed antibiotics but it's been 8 days now
and he's still coughing like crazy. I'm afraid I have to bring him back
to the vet. Any suggestions?

About kennel cough:
http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+2102&aid=452

Does your dog have any other health issues?

...............Load him with with Vit C, A and E. Dose on human supplements
is for 150 lb. human. Probably your dog should get 1/3 of suggested dose.
Also maybe some B50 complex for stress. Get some herbal cough syrup and
adjust dose to size of dog. Put in steam filled bathroom for a while (like
people do with croup) or use cold steam vaporizer. This can last 2-3 weeks.
Sounds awful, but not very serious. Antibiotics may do nothing.. Since
you've given them, use some probiotics 2X a day for a couple of weeks.

Good site on vitamins:
http://neuro.vetmed.ufl.edu/Alt_med/...r/vitamin.html

Another: http://www.b-naturals.com/newsletter...s-supplements/

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 22nd 11, 05:16 PM
Junior Member

Thumbs up

Thanks so much for your insights. Louie is doing fine now but we had to make another visit to the vet to have him examined. He had a secondary bacterial infection and had water in his lungs thus the vet prescribed antibiotic for 15 days, an expectorant, and an immune-boosting supplement called Dog-gone Cough.

Louie is back to his old self and his appetite is better than ever, I don't have to coax him to finish his food during meal times and the coughing is now far between.

Thanks for all your concern.
Old May 22nd 11, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

"iAmTerri" wrote in message

Thanks so much for your insights. Louie is doing fine now but we had to
make another visit to the vet to have him examined. He had a secondary
bacterial infection and had water in his lungs thus the vet prescribed
antibiotic for 15 days, an expectorant, and an immune-boosting
supplement called Dog-gone Cough.

............To get that sick from kennel cough, he must have a weakened
immune system.

Louie is back to his old self and his appetite is better than ever, I
don't have to coax him to finish his food during meal times and the
coughing is now far between.

..............I'd make sure to keep this pup on probiotics for a month and
add some of those other vitamins too, particularly Vit C. for a while. Good
to hear he's better!

Old October 15th 11, 07:14 AM
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAmTerri View Post
Louie, my 4 year old Japanese Spitz has a hacking cough and the vet said it's kennel*cough*even though he was recently vaccinated with Bordatella. He has been prescribed antibiotics but it's been 8 days now and he's still coughing like crazy. I'm afraid I have to bring him back to the vet. Any suggestions?
I agree! You should really take the dog to the vet again. The dog may need higher antibiotics.
__________________
Pekingese training is not a joke. You need to have patience, dedication, perseverance, and heart. Do you have them all???
Old November 22nd 11, 12:56 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickePekingese View Post
I agree! You should really take the dog to the vet again. The dog may need higher antibiotics.
What is a cough?

A cough is a defense response of the respiratory system when irritated. All animals possessing a pulmonary system have the ability to react, thus an irritated larynx, trachea or lungs can provoke a cough in dogs. The cause of irritation can come from external stimuli such as pollutants, bacteria and virus in the air. Systemic reactions are also possible and these could involve allergens, presence of tumors or circulatory problems. As you can see a cough can be more than just "a cough". Just in case Harland meant "kennel cough" when asking about canine cough....here's some extra information.

Kennel cough

Kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis is an inflammation of the respiratory system due to the presence of pathogenic virus and bacteria in the air. Transmission is trough direct inhalation of the virus and bacteria shed in the air by a coughing sick dog. Symptoms are a persistent cough that could lead to light tracheitis or a severe pneumonia.

The disease is not transmitted to humans but is highly contagious to dogs.

In standard veterinary medicine, antibiotics are sometimes used to prevent secondary bacterial infections Cough syrups are often also prescribed by the veterinarian.
In selecting useful homeopathic remedies, one should look for complexes that provide relief to the respiratory system and stimulate the immune defenses of the dog. These products could be obtained from various homeopathic companies such as: Boiron, Homeocan, Vetnat, Heel, Reckeweg and others.

Last edited by Amos : November 23rd 11 at 06:56 AM.

Adopting dog with kennel cough jfish Dog health 3 February 27th 07 05:38 AM
I don't think this is kennel cough... Rocky Dog health 13 December 21st 05 06:39 PM
Kennel cough or something else hans Dog behavior 0 November 3rd 05 05:11 PM
Kennel Cough dollymarie Dog health 5 April 1st 05 04:30 PM
Kennel Cough? seagull Dog health 2 July 4th 03 02:34 AM