ADHD in Dogs

Old February 7th 04, 05:18 AM
Tee

Default ADHD in Dogs

Does anyone know if there's been serious research into whether or not dogs
can be afflicted by ADHD or ADD like people can? More than a few times over
the last 3 years I've heard of, and met, several dogs who I'd classify this
way. They have the same symptoms you'd note in children, can't seem to
concentrate, forget things almost immediately (due to lack of focus), often
tend to have massive energy outbursts, can be difficult with others,
hyperactive, spacey, and are really just a total challenge to live with and
even more challenging to train. Its not for willfulness, lack of trying to
please, or stupidity. The dog *gets it* with alot of repetition, but rarely
is able to remember to practice its knowledge in its rush to do something.
My vet believes it exists but he doesn't diagnose it. Not sure if its been
proven to exist in dogs or not (forgot to ask), if its been labeled, and if
its diagnosed & treated by behaviorists and vets.

--
Tara

Old February 7th 04, 05:31 AM
Rocky

Tee said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Does anyone know if there's been serious research into
whether or not dogs can be afflicted by ADHD or ADD like
people can?

Canine cognitive disorder/dysfunction. I looked this up
a few years ago.

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...?ARTICLEID=819
http://www.draxis.com/Company/Press_...97/0213cog.htm

Old February 7th 04, 06:18 AM
Tee

"Rocky" wrote in message
Tee said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Does anyone know if there's been serious research into
whether or not dogs can be afflicted by ADHD or ADD like
people can?

Canine cognitive disorder/dysfunction. I looked this up
a few years ago.

http://www.vetcentric.com/magazine/m...?ARTICLEID=819
http://www.draxis.com/Company/Press_...97/0213cog.htm

Thanks but the symptoms don't fit. These dogs aren't geriatric, don't act
lost or anything that closely resembles senility. They are hyperactive,
unable to mentally focus for any length of time, extremely impulsive, seem
to have no memory retention abilities and lose interest quickly. To someone
who doesn't know much about dogs, they'd be classified as dumb,
trouble-making, willful, disobedient & hyper (or any combination thereof).
In reality, they are smart enough to learn things, they just don't retain
the info long enough to practice it due to inability to focus. They are
highly distractable, impulsive, me-me-me dogs who seem to be constantly
doing something, whether actually in motion or thinking. Its like 3mo puppy
behavior x 10. I think its often confused with lack of training, lack of
this, lack of that, when I believe that there are dogs with this disorder
that simply cannot help their behavior, regardless of human efforts. I'm
very familiar with the problem in children and see a strong correlation in
*some* dogs (I do agree that many just simply lack some fundamental basics).
These dogs tend to be rehomed often as well.

--
Tara

Old February 7th 04, 06:59 AM
Tee

"culprit" wrote in message

a lot of people don't even believe it exists in children, let alone dogs.
:-)

I used to be one of those people...well I figured it existed but not on the
scale it does.

but yeah, i think there are probably ADD dogs out there. i hardly think

it
would be appropriate to try to treat it chemically though. you'd just

have
to try to learn how to live with them, i guess.

That's the problem though. For alot of these dogs few owners can live with
it..without relegating the dog to 24/7 outside living. I believe Prozac is
probably the medicine of choice for this problem in dogs although I'm not
entirely sure of that. IMO, if there's a medication to help, when the
problem is an internal one where training is made difficult to impossible,
then its kind of like punishing the dog for things it can't help, same with
kids. If there's a legitimate problem inside the brain, one that negatively
impacts their ability to function properly and be happy (not always being
yelled at or sent away), then it makes sense to treat it.

i think Lola has Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Separation Anxiety,

Obsessive
Compulsive Disorder and Panic Disorder. my cat Mo is surely

Schizophrenic
(he has long involved conversations with things only he can see). i think
Manu is the only normal one in the house.

My pets only have man-syndrome. IOW they hear what they want, when they
want, and all else is just noise.

--
Tara