husky/akita moving to hot climate

Old April 12th 07, 04:34 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default husky/akita moving to hot climate

I have a 4 yo/90lb akita/husky mix and am considering a job related
move to southern california from vermont.

Does anyone have direct experience moving a snow dog to a year round
warm environment?

I know it will mean some changes, but if the extra heat is going to
endanger his health I'm not going to take the job.

My vet says that with the right conditions he should be alright, but I
have my doubts.

Regards,
Stephen

Old April 12th 07, 06:17 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
flick

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a 4 yo/90lb akita/husky mix and am considering a job related
move to southern california from vermont.

Does anyone have direct experience moving a snow dog to a year round
warm environment?

I know it will mean some changes, but if the extra heat is going to
endanger his health I'm not going to take the job.

My vet says that with the right conditions he should be alright, but I
have my doubts.

I had Siberian Huskies in So. Cal. They were fine, even outdoors, with
plenty of water and deep shade. It's hot, but it isn't humid, which makes a
difference. We also didn't work them in the heat. They were not "yard
dogs" though; we left the patio door cracked so they could go in and out at
will most of the time.

flick 100785

Old April 12th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

I had a husky mix who the heat bothered when he got older and we just kept
him inside in the air conditioning. I would hope the dog isn't outside all
day anyway so the heat shouldn't be an issue if you have and AC.

Celeste

ps.com...

Old April 12th 07, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
pfoley

wrote in message
ps.com...
I have a 4 yo/90lb akita/husky mix and am considering a job related
move to southern california from vermont.

Does anyone have direct experience moving a snow dog to a year round
warm environment?

I know it will mean some changes, but if the extra heat is going to
endanger his health I'm not going to take the job.

My vet says that with the right conditions he should be alright, but I
have my doubts.

Regards,
Stephen

===============
When I take my Rottweiler to Florida in the winter for a few weeks, I leave
her indoors during the day with the ac on. Every day is not a hot day,
though, so sometimes she would lie down out in the yard in a shady spot.
When I walked her I would walked her early in the morning and again after
dinner at night when it was cool. She also minds the heat, but walking
before the sun comes out full force and then later when the sun goes down
seemed to work.
..

Old April 13th 07, 12:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Nerdlinger[_2_]

On Apr 11, 8:34 pm, wrote:
I have a 4 yo/90lb akita/husky mix and am considering a job related
move to southern california from vermont.

Does anyone have direct experience moving a snow dog to a year round
warm environment?

I know it will mean some changes, but if the extra heat is going to
endanger his health I'm not going to take the job.

My vet says that with the right conditions he should be alright, but I
have my doubts.

Regards,
Stephen

I have 7 yo husky, 12 yo husky/lab mix, and they do fine with plenty
of water and shade. they'll stand in their 10 gallon water bucket
while they drink to cool their paws sometimes, but it's usually after
a brisk session of chase/ankle biting lol. i live in orange county btw.

Akita and smaller dog? Jim Dog breeds 4 September 22nd 04 04:30 AM
Akita many many questions Gh0st1n5h3ll Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 11:09 PM
Akita many many questions Gh0st1n5h3ll Dog behavior 0 February 2nd 04 11:09 PM
Breed All About: Akita Gh0st1n5h3ll Dog behavior 8 February 2nd 04 04:53 PM
[husky] Who owns a Husky here? Melinda Shore Dog behavior 4 August 1st 03 02:29 PM