When Someone Offers Dangerous Advice

Old December 4th 03, 11:15 PM
Tricia9999

That's pretty much what happens right *here,* Marshall. Yes, sometimes
it gets a little nasty, but so what? It's a nasty world, outside of
that Ivory Tower of yours. Some day you'll probably have to come down
from that tower, and your experiences *here* will help to prepare you
for life in the REAL WORLD.

LOL. Off topic, but If only you knew how nasty it gets in the Ivory Tower. I
just finished speaking to someone who passed on finishing the PhD, because of
the vicious environment. I live with one of the IvoryTower residents and it
ain't all tea and crumpets, let me tell ya.

Old December 5th 03, 12:33 AM
Tricia9999

Yeah, the academy can get terribly political,
with tons of back-biting going on, etc. But it's usually all carried
out behind the scenes and quietly, AFAIK.

Nope, there are some pretty loud and ugly fights. Lots of big egos in that
world, ya know. Provides for fun gossip at all the nice pc parties though.

Old December 5th 03, 12:49 AM

Tricia9999 wrote:
Nope, there are some pretty loud and ugly fights. Lots of big egos in that
world, ya know. Provides for fun gossip at all the nice pc parties though.

[Insert standard "because the stakes are so low" joke].
I think it's inevitable to have that kind of behavior in
very small communities with lots of competition for scarce
resources.

The segment of academic life I found to be the most brutal
was music performance, believe it or not. It wasn't
unheard-of for instruments to be sabotaged, sometimes in
ways that injured musicians (one incident involved razor
blades between keys on a piano). It's not that uncommon,
though, for people going through the tenure process to find
that their articles have been ripped out of the journals in
the university library and crap like that. I've seen it
happen at several different schools. As a former libarian I
have more than one reason to be appalled by that sort of
thing.

(I bagged my Ph.D. sometime after the coursework and
sometime before The Book, when I was seduced by the siren
song of systems software. It was a good decision, in
retrospect.)

Bad taste is better than no taste -- Arnold Bennett