lost dog found, but already adopted

Old January 24th 04, 04:55 AM
Paula

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 10:57:03 -0500, "Sionnach"
wrote:

Also out of curiosity, isn't it normal practice to spay dogs *before*
they're made available for adoption? Or was it simply that she wasn't spayed
yet because she'd just become available?

Not around here. It is the law that they must be spayed before they
go home, but they still don't spay until after an adopter has been
found. I always figured it was a financial issue. They can't afford
to pay to fix dogs that are going to be put down, so they wait until
they are sure the dog is going to be adopted. I suppose if they had
no room and knew all dogs would be PTS if not spoken for, you might
see a shelter full of speutered available dogs, but I've only seen
shelters full of non-fixed or fixed when they got there dogs.

--
Paula
"Paula talks tough, and she wears vicious lipstick, but she lacks the
Old January 24th 04, 05:06 AM
Paula

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 08:10:06 -0600, Gwen Watson
wrote:

dianne marie schoenberg wrote:

Yes--and incidentally, that's the case in California too. From
SB 1785 (Hayden's Law):

SEC. 11. Section 17006 is added to the Food and Agricultural Code,
to read:
17006. Animals that are irremediably suffering from a serious
illness or severe injury shall not be held for owner redemption or
adoption. Newborn animals that need maternal care and have been
impounded without their mothers may be euthanized without being
held for owner redemption or adoption.

Dianne

I wonder do they call the owners if the dog is tagged at the
time he/she is brought in with an injury? I would sure hope
so. I think there is nothing worse then never knowing what
happened to your dog and always hoping in the back of
your mind someday he/she will return.

I don't know if they have to, but the local shelters around here have
pictures of dogs that they had to PTS before the waiting period was up
(not dogs PTS after the waiting period was over or they would have
wall to wall photo albums, unfortunately). They also have pictures of
the quarantined dogs so that those who are looking for a lost pet can
go through them even though the quarantine kennels are not accessible
by the public. I think that if a photo looks like your dog, they will
have someone escort you to the quarantine area to have a closer look.
I never had to use them, but always thought it was nice that they had
them and that they were prominently displayed. The kennel cards are
always left on the kennels as well, so even if a dog is out for vet
care or something else, you can see that it is not just an empty
kennel and can ask questions if any of the info is a possibility for a
dog you are searching for. Once when I was sent to pick up a dal that
was in a shelter, the cards on the empty kennels came in handy. It
would have been easier if they had a list of who's out today or
something, but it still worked when searching the kennels to have the
card.

Old January 24th 04, 02:23 PM
Sionnach

Not around here.

Just as a point of note, the question you're replying to- and the entire
exchange between myself and Janet - is in regards to a *specific* shelter,
namely the MD SPCA in Baltimore. Three of my current five companions-in-fur
are from that shelter, and Janet is on the board of directors. :-)

It is the law that they must be spayed before they
go home, but they still don't spay until after an adopter has been
found.

That's a fairly common practice, I think- as noted in one of Janet's
posts, it used to be that way at the MD SPCA.

I always figured it was a financial issue. They can't afford
to pay to fix dogs that are going to be put down, so they wait until
they are sure the dog is going to be adopted.

Financial and logistical, I would think... IOW a matter of not wanting to
waste time as well as money.
As a secondary point of note, the MD SPCA is a private shelter, not a
municipal one, and is fortunate enough to be fairly well-funded. Baltimore
also has a city pound, plus several smaller private rescue groups. (Not
shelters.)