My experience with female dog in heat

Old June 1st 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default My experience with female dog in heat

First female dog I have owned, so the first time i am dealing with the
female dog heat cycle.
After having a male dog die from bone cancer caused by getting him
neutered at an early age, my philosophy has changed on getting dogs
"fixed".
I am not going to advocate getting your dogs spayed or neutered for
now, just let you know what i went through the last few weeks or so.
You have three cycles.
The first cycle is where you notice blood droplets, if you have wood
or tile floors you may not notice it for a couple of days especially
if you have brown or red tiles. It took me a couple of days to realize
she was in heat. I did not notice any behavior changes. I started to
put her on a long leash for walks ( normally I allow my dogs to run
free which i know most of you think is wrong), but I really did not
need to as I later found out that during the first cycle they will not
get pregnant. The blood drops will change colour and become a lighter,
milky like colour red. No real change in behaviour that i noticed, she
was possibly drinking more water?
The second cycle is a bit more exciting and if you are a prude i would
suggest you stop reading. I have an 11-12 year old lab that is fixed
and she was showing herself to him quite often, the old guy had some
fun, for about a week, i assume she did as well, the only issue is
sometimes they would get stuck for about 5 minutes or so after wards.
I am sure plenty of you will have a lot of negative things to say
about "allowing " this, but save your breath. ( or typing). During
these two stages i did not have male dogs from miles away hanging
around the yard, in fact not one. Nor at the cottage where we have a
few wandering male dogs that i assume are not fixed and plenty of
neighboring dogs which i assume are fixed? No noticeable smells
either during any of the heat cycles, no real difference in behaviour
outside of her showing herself to my male dog during the second
cycle. She was not clamouring to get out, she was not running towards
the door every time it was opened, none of the stuff that I had heard
would happen did ( except for the blood spots and her being receptive
to my male dog). By the end of the third week i had her off leash
again and things were back to normal. It will be interesting to see if
the two dogs behave any different towards each other then they did
before this heat cycle happened? I assume dog sex is like homosexual
sex in that you do not develop a bond with your sexual partner so it
will probably not make a difference ( is that true Melissa? I was told
you people do not have long lasting relationships? Or are those just
lies like the ones you and your friends spew on these newsgroups? Oh
and sorry for not spacing this out like a Dan Brown novel to make it
easier for you to understand, but I tried to eliminate punctuation and
big words which seemed to have you really,really,really confused
before?)
So from my experience sure you need to look after your dog a bit more
if she is in heat, but the truth is it is not such a big deal to cope
with.
Old June 1st 09, 09:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet Boss

In article
,
wrote:

I started to
put her on a long leash for walks ( normally I allow my dogs to run
free which i know most of you think is wrong), but I really did not
need to as I later found out that during the first cycle they will not
get pregnant.

Pregnancy isn't the only risk to a bitch in heat. I see you are still
in denial about pyometra as well.

The second cycle is a bit more exciting and if you are a prude i would
suggest you stop reading. I have an 11-12 year old lab that is fixed
and she was showing herself to him quite often, the old guy had some
fun, for about a week, i assume she did as well, the only issue is
sometimes they would get stuck for about 5 minutes or so after wards.
I am sure plenty of you will have a lot of negative things to say
about "allowing " this, but save your breath. ( or typing).

You don't get to dictate what others type. Allowing ties is just a
really bad idea (do you have any idea what "getting stuck" is all
about?). When my bitch puppy was in heat, she too "flagged" to my
neutered male. As a responsible pet owner, I supervised and did not
allow it to go further than that, nor did I leave them alone
unsupervised. I would recommend that anyone reading this do the same.

During
these two stages i did not have male dogs from miles away hanging
around the yard, in fact not one. Nor at the cottage where we have a
few wandering male dogs that i assume are not fixed and plenty of
neighboring dogs which i assume are fixed? No noticeable smells
either during any of the heat cycles, no real difference in behaviour
outside of her showing herself to my male dog during the second
cycle. She was not clamouring to get out, she was not running towards
the door every time it was opened, none of the stuff that I had heard
would happen did ( except for the blood spots and her being receptive
to my male dog).

This was my experience as well, even though we have an intact male dog
on the other side of the fence, as well as went field training with
intact males around. OTOH, I wouldn't have dreamt of allowing them to
be freely available to her. In other words, I wouldn't have taken her
for walks on long leashes and hoped that I would be able to prevent a
determined male.

It will be interesting to see if
the two dogs behave any different towards each other then they did
before this heat cycle happened? I assume dog sex is like homosexual
sex in that you do not develop a bond with your sexual partner so it
will probably not make a difference

WTF is wrong with you? Do you have the SLIGHTEST CLUE what you're
talking about (no, don't bother answering, because it is very clear that
you do not).

( is that true Melissa? I was told
you people do not have long lasting relationships?

Who is Melissa and who is "you people"?

So from my experience sure you need to look after your dog a bit more
if she is in heat, but the truth is it is not such a big deal to cope
with.

I didn't find it to be a big deal either, but I wouldn't be as stupid as
you are. Go figure.

--
Janet Boss
Old June 1st 09, 10:00 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Janet Boss wrote:
Allowing ties is just a
really bad idea (do you have any idea what "getting stuck" is all
about?).

Oh, that's okay. Old butt sniffer strikes me as the kind of
guy who wouldn't be bothered at *all* by his dog breaking
its penis.

Who is Melissa and who is "you people"?

Bigots tend not to have a particularly fast hold on facts,
and aren't that bright to start with.

I didn't find it to be a big deal either, but I wouldn't be as stupid as
you are. Go figure.

I've had a few intact dogs, male and female (have an intact
male now, in fact). For me, on balance the disadvantages
outweigh the advantages and the health risks associated with
leaving them intact worry me a bit. Having an intact female
running around trying to breed any male she comes across is
a somewhat serious problem if you can't manage to keep them
apart. I don't think it's that likely that something will
go wrong, but if it does it goes very, very wrong.

Stalker Guy is yet another inexperienced dog owner who's
generalizing from a sample size of one intact bitch and, I
guess, *two* *whole* *heat* *cycles*! Wow! I think the
central question here is probably Stalker Guy's very
obvious, very deep sexual anxieties being projected onto his
dogs.

Old June 1st 09, 10:04 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phyrie

wrote in message

snip of misogynistic and homophobic ranting and report of irresponsible dog
handling

Paul, is that you?

Old June 1st 09, 11:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Wingnut[_2_]

wrote in message

snipped horrible story

Now beating head against wall, wondering *why* it took me so long to plonk
Reginald Pip (could that name possibly be real?).

Old June 2nd 09, 05:23 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Jun 1, 6:14*pm, "Wingnut" wrote:
wrote in message

snipped horrible story

Now beating head against wall, wondering *why* it took me so long to plonk
Reginald Pip (could that name possibly be real?).

Glad to see you and the retards were able to respond so quickly
Melissa ( or are they all you?). You idiots really have no idea about
anything do you?
If nothing else you are predictable and stupid.
Sorry if the story scared you so badly, more scars on an already
screwed up psyche.
It is incredible how you blind and maim your dogs and kill your
roommate's cats and choke your dogs and who knows how many other ways
you have mistreated and killed animals and you are outraged and scared
by a story of dogs doing something which is quite normal?
A broken penis??? Double the dose of your medications you delusional
freaks.
I assume wingnut is your real name.
Old June 2nd 09, 06:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

wrote:
On Jun 1, 6:14 pm, "Wingnut" wrote:
wrote in message

snipped horrible story

Now beating head against wall, wondering *why* it took me so long to plonk
Reginald Pip (could that name possibly be real?).

Glad to see you and the retards were able to respond so quickly
Melissa ( or are they all you?). You idiots really have no idea about
anything do you?
If nothing else you are predictable and stupid.
Sorry if the story scared you so badly, more scars on an already
screwed up psyche.

Yes. Your post was an amazing expression of
your scars. One I could have gone without.
Killfiling will prevent my further exposure
to the messed up psychological games you play
with your dog (slop on top of food = love,
and now dog's tied in your living room = sex
to you. That was more information than I ever
wanted about you, and I am far from a prude)

It is incredible how you blind and maim your dogs and kill your
roommate's cats and choke your dogs and who knows how many other ways
you have mistreated and killed animals and you are outraged and scared
by a story of dogs doing something which is quite normal?

That's not the story you wrote. You just
don;t know that.....self awareness not being
your strong suit.

Old June 2nd 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sionnach

wrote:

A broken penis??? Double the dose of your medications you delusional
freaks.

Yes, a broken penis, O Ignorant One.

The males of many mammal species, including canines, have a "baculum" aka
"os penis" - a small bone in the penis.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Os_penis

Like any other bone, the os penis can get broken, and the most common cause
of a fractured os penis is mating; for domestic dogs, this is most likely to
occur if something goes wrong during the tie.

And a fractured os penis, in addition to being painful, can be
life-threatening if it lacerates and/or obstructs the urethra; even if it
doesn't, it often requires surgery to correct. In some cases, the penis
actually has to be amputated to enable the dog to urinate.
http://cal.vet.upenn.edu/projects/sa..._33/33mast.htm - scroll
down to "fractures of the os penis".

My female in heat Brandi Dog breeds 1 November 21st 06 08:21 AM
Female dog heat Kathf Dog behavior 5 August 17th 05 03:10 PM
Female in heat (I think) ms Dogs - general 1 August 11th 03 04:42 AM