Retired Service Dogs

Old February 6th 05, 05:15 AM
Greta

Default Retired Service Dogs

I understand that most retired service dogs are German Shepherds, Golden
retrievers, Labs and a few Boxers. Has anyone had experience with these
adoptions and how they might compare to an older rescue dog of the same
breeds?
Thanks
Greta
Old February 6th 05, 05:32 AM
Natalie Rigertas

Greta wrote:
I understand that most retired service dogs are German Shepherds, Golden
retrievers, Labs and a few Boxers. Has anyone had experience with these
adoptions and how they might compare to an older rescue dog of the same
breeds?
Thanks
Greta

The big difference from your average house pet is that these dogs were
always occupied with the job they were trained to do. So going into
retirment is much like a busy person who suddenly doesn't have a job.
Also, they were used to being with a person all the time, and now they may
not be with someone all day. So you need to make sure that the pet is
kept occupied when you are home, and spend a lot of time actively with the
dog

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 6th 05, 05:41 AM
Greta

Natalie Rigertas wrote:

Greta wrote:

I understand that most retired service dogs are German Shepherds, Golden
retrievers, Labs and a few Boxers. Has anyone had experience with these
adoptions and how they might compare to an older rescue dog of the same
breeds?
Thanks
Greta

The big difference from your average house pet is that these dogs were
always occupied with the job they were trained to do. So going into
retirment is much like a busy person who suddenly doesn't have a job.
Also, they were used to being with a person all the time, and now they may
not be with someone all day. So you need to make sure that the pet is
kept occupied when you are home, and spend a lot of time actively with the
dog

natalie

Thanks Natalie for your input. I am a retired active 74 years old. I
lost my 13 year old Lab/Golden/Collie mix in December to liver cancer
(age 13). Because of my age I hesitate to go the puppy route - doesn't
seem fair to the dog - which lead me to explore the retired service or
rescue route.
Greta
Old February 6th 05, 05:57 AM
culprit

"Greta" wrote in message

Thanks Natalie for your input. I am a retired active 74 years old. I lost
my 13 year old Lab/Golden/Collie mix in December to liver cancer (age 13).
Because of my age I hesitate to go the puppy route - doesn't seem fair to
the dog - which lead me to explore the retired service or rescue route.

from what i understand, many people keep their service dog until the dog is
too unhealthy to work, or the dog dies. i don't think it's easy to find
them retired.

there are a lot of older dogs in rescue groups and shelters, many of which
have known backgrounds. it might be easier to find an older dog in your
area this way.

try: http://www.petfinder.com/, and in the age search category, select
"senior".

good luck...

-kelly

Old February 7th 05, 04:52 AM
Natalie Rigertas

culprit wrote:

from what i understand, many people keep their service dog until the dog is
too unhealthy to work, or the dog dies. i don't think it's easy to find
them retired.

This is very true. Many prefer to go without a second service dog (some
organizations only let you have one dog in the home, this used to be very
common, not as much now) while their current one is retired and living
with them, instead of giving that dog up.

natalie

--

What fresh hell is this?
--- Dorothy Parker
Old February 6th 05, 02:11 PM
HouseODogs

Our rescue, Virginia German Shepherd Rescue, www.shepherdrescue.org takes
in senior GSDs on a pretty regular basis. Most of the older dogs are such
wonderful creatures. We adopted a dog, (his name is Bandit) to a guy who
told us on his application that the did not want to meet any dog that was
less than 7 years old. He had always adopted older dogs in the past and it
had always worked out fantastic for him. I wish we could clone that guy!

Anyway, most rescues will try to make the right placement between you and
the dog - we want to get the perfect match! We factor in the dog's
personality, activity level, training, etc. and then try to find the new
home that best suits the dog.

We actually placed a dog that had been a retired stud dog for Guiding Eyes
for the Blind. He was beautifully trained and had a fantastic temperament.

Yours in GSDs and rescue,

Lea