Anal gland question

Old February 2nd 05, 06:37 AM
Jinxy

Default Anal gland question

I've never had to deal with anal glands before so I'm not sure if my dog has
a problem. Today he has started majorly licking his anus area. When I looked
at his "hole" it was all black in colour. I got a cloth and wiped away
black gunk. Don't know if it was poo. What I did notice though was a smell.
I've read many of times that anal gland smell is real bad...this wasn't. It
smelled like ear junk..that brown to black tarry ear stuff. You will know
this smell if your dog suffers chronic ear problems. It's not putrid or
strong.. I tried sqeezing but I'm afraid I'm probably not doing it right. I
know where to place my fingers..but nothing comes out. Does this sound like
a anal gland problem?

Old February 2nd 05, 11:10 AM
buglady

"Jinxy" wrote in message
I got a cloth and wiped away
black gunk. Don't know if it was poo. What I did notice though was a

smell.

...........how are the stools - normal? Could be anal glands, could be
worms. Best to have the vet show you how to empty the anal sacs.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old February 2nd 05, 04:28 PM
Jinxy

"buglady" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jinxy" wrote in message
I got a cloth and wiped away
black gunk. Don't know if it was poo. What I did notice though was a

smell.

..........how are the stools - normal? Could be anal glands, could be
worms. Best to have the vet show you how to empty the anal sacs.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Stools are normal...and just wormed him a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't
tested for worms but a stray cat I took in threw up a full size tape worm.
So all the pets got wormed in case.

Old February 2nd 05, 05:36 PM
Jinxy

"Jinxy" wrote in message

"buglady" wrote in message
k.net...

"Jinxy" wrote in message
I got a cloth and wiped away
black gunk. Don't know if it was poo. What I did notice though was a

smell.

..........how are the stools - normal? Could be anal glands, could be
worms. Best to have the vet show you how to empty the anal sacs.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Stools are normal...and just wormed him a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't
tested for worms but a stray cat I took in threw up a full size tape worm.
So all the pets got wormed in case.

Ok I just attempted to squeeze the anal glands and goo did come out. At
first quite a good blob..but then just tiny amounts at a time. It was like
squeezing a boil or something The right side feels quite big..the left not
so big. When I went to wipe away the stuff it is dark brown to black mixed
with blood. As I continued it was more blood than dark stuff. I wonder if
it's impacted or abscessed? How long shall I continue to squeeze? How do you
know if you are done? Assuming the glands are not impacted.

Another question is...I always use disposable surgical gloves (supermarket
bought) when working on the dogs. Do these provide 100% safety from anything
leaking through assuming there is no holes in them? I always thoroughly wash
my hands after, but after doing the above procedure I think I could smell
the gunk on my fingers So I sterilized my hands LOL again. I'm just
paranoid because I have become allergic to some antibiotics and don't want
to get any infection or whatever.

Old February 2nd 05, 09:00 PM
Matt

Take the poor thing to a vet. Jeezy weezy. How would you like it if
your non doctor friends came over, stuck the fingers up your ass, and
squeezed until goo came out?

Good god. Why don't you just stick your arm all the way up the dogs
ass, see if you can find it's heart, and squeeze it until something
comes out?

It's a living thing, lady - not some ****ing science fair experiment
kit.

I swear you people ****ing terrify me.

Old February 2nd 05, 11:36 PM
Jinxy

"Matt" wrote in message
oups.com...
Take the poor thing to a vet. Jeezy weezy. How would you like it if
your non doctor friends came over, stuck the fingers up your ass, and
squeezed until goo came out?

Good god. Why don't you just stick your arm all the way up the dogs
ass, see if you can find it's heart, and squeeze it until something
comes out?

It's a living thing, lady - not some ****ing science fair experiment
kit.

I swear you people ****ing terrify me.

**** off. Most people do their dogs anal glands and don't assume you are
posting to a lady you dumbass.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:03 PM
buglady

"Jinxy" wrote in message
Stools are normal...and just wormed him a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't
tested for worms but a stray cat I took in threw up a full size tape worm.
So all the pets got wormed in case.

..........tapes aren't thrown up - roundworms can be.

Old February 3rd 05, 01:04 PM
buglady

"Jinxy" wrote in message
When I went to wipe away the stuff it is dark brown to black mixed
with blood. As I continued it was more blood than dark stuff. I wonder if
it's impacted or abscessed? How long shall I continue to squeeze? How do

you
know if you are done?

........;you're done. If there's blood you need to get your dog to the vet.
If these are abcessed you'll probably need antibiotics.

Old February 3rd 05, 03:56 PM
Matt

Blow me lady.

Old February 3rd 05, 04:21 PM
Jinxy

"buglady" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Jinxy" wrote in message
Stools are normal...and just wormed him a couple of weeks ago. He wasn't
tested for worms but a stray cat I took in threw up a full size tape
worm.
So all the pets got wormed in case.

.........tapes aren't thrown up - roundworms can be.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Really? When I went to the vet to pick up some dewormers for the stray
cat..I brought along the sample of worm. They said it was a tapeworm. It was
very long, flat, and segmented. I know from reading on the net usually those
kinds of worms are busted off when they come out of the rear end..which of
course looks like rice. Oh well the wormer they gave is suppose to be for
tape and round.