Ingrown dew claws

Old February 13th 06, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Ingrown dew claws

buglady wrote:
"Kathleen" wrote in message

But the dew claws had grown into a circle and the tips were imbedded in
his flesh. There was no place to start with either the clipper or the
grinder. There is no doubt in my mind that the dog needs to be seen by
a vet, and I told the girl as much, but I suspect that finances are a
major issue. The only way I can imagine to do it would be to use a
cutting wheel head on the dremel to (carefully!) remove a chunk of the
middle of the claw, then back the amputated tip end of the nail out of
the flesh. And I don't know if I'm up to that.

.........what a savior you were to this pup! How did he take to all the
grinding and cutting? If he was OK, I think I'd just bite the bullet and do
it if you can make yourself. Does he react when you touch the nail? Take a
really good look at it and maybe draw a crayon line where you want to cut,
get a couple of people to gently restrain him and give one a go. Maybe put
something between the nail and the paw to keep from going too far. How many
dew claws does he have? OTOH I wonder if a groomer would have a
technique/tool for this situation? Perhaps worth a call.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Another thing to try is using the big orange handled clippers that cut
with a more scissors action. ( I have done this on clients' dogs with
overgrown nails.) Take them and work them so that the edge of the nail
at the place where it is grown into the flesh is in the cutting
position. Then clip. If you don't have someone that can restrain the
poor dog's head you may want to muzzle him. also be prepared with some
quickstop though you probably won't need it. And once the nail is no
longer imbedded you can either "shave" bits of it off with either set
of clippers or maybe get the dremel in to grind it down.
Good luck and I'm glad someone cared enough to take care of the old
boy's feet.

Beth

Old February 13th 06, 01:46 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

wrote:
buglady wrote:

"Kathleen" wrote in message

[...]

I've got a pair of wire cutters that would probably do the trick. And
while I'd be game to try the one side, the other is embedded so deeply
that I'm not sure that the claw isn't impinging on or even wrapped
around the inner structures of the leg. I've never seen anything like it.

The girl's mother has agreed to take the dog to the vet. She was amazed
to see the old boy gallumphing around the backyard. But if he hasn't
been seen to by the end of the week I'll take him myself next week.

Kathleen

Old February 13th 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

On Sun, 12 Feb 2006 18:46:20 -0600, Kathleen
wrote:

The girl's mother has agreed to take the dog to the vet. She was amazed
to see the old boy gallumphing around the backyard. But if he hasn't
been seen to by the end of the week I'll take him myself next week.

Kathleen

Bless your heart! It is people like you who make me continue to
believe that there are good heart & minds in the world!
-----
Kim/Dreamspinner3
Visit My Homepage: http://members.tripod.com/dreamspinner3/
Old February 13th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
says...
But if he hasn't
been seen to by the end of the week I'll take him myself next week.

You're a saint!

jw