Doberman Pup with Demodectic Mange Question

Old March 14th 04, 04:41 AM
Hal Jordan

Default Doberman Pup with Demodectic Mange Question

Hello,
We have a great Doberman male pup, found small bare spots on his coat,
after a scrape and a look under the microscope found that he has
Demodectic mites. We have scheduled the Vet to begin a regiment of
dips. Until then, I am curious of the "home remedies" course of action
and thought I'd see if anyone had treatments that have been successful
for them in this type of case.

I was told benzoyl peroxide might help some but it seems a bit weak
for that even at the strength of 10%.

Another question, what is the best way to increase a dog's immune
system Vitamins?? We have him on Science Diet Puppy Food for Large
Breed Dogs and we mix in a bit of Diamond Puppy Food for the best of
both foods and we have given him vitamin E and Fish Oil to help his
skin, our other Dobe had a skin rash early on and those vitamins
helped, plus we use a bit of sunflower or peanut oil on their food.

I thought about giving them some human vitamins till I get him some
for dogs....but I think they are about the same and might be better in
quality.

Any remedies?

Thanks!!

Hal

Old March 14th 04, 05:03 PM
ZPL

You are doing well with the supplements. I myself am not a Science Diet
person, but we each find what works for our animals. I found that a good
pediatric vitamin worked well - plus, they are flavored. You might want to
look at a bottle of biotin - gives the oils a jump start.

One suggestion - Don't drag out the dip therapy if the breed is not
sensitive to ivermec. My current dog was a demodex dog - every hormonal
surge brought about another session of dips. She's a bullmastiff, so there
were alot of growth surges. It got to the point where she would not go any
where near the tub if the dip was being mixed. That wasn't a problem until
she got past the 70 pound mark.

I switched to the Ivermec shot, it cleared the situation right up. Plus,
the dog now gets into the tub by herself!

Old March 17th 04, 03:44 AM
Hal Jordan

Great idea with the ped. vitamins and biotin, I'll be putting those on
the list for my next trip to the drug store. I am going to ask the vet
about the Ivermec shot, anything better than the dip is good by me.

On the dog food, I have always used Science Diet but we used
Diamond a few years back on an abused wolf we rescued that had some
digetive troubles, I liked that it has no corn and has a lot of Omega
vitamins but I am still not sure of the quality in comparison.

Thanks for the suggestions!

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 10:03:42 -0600, "ZPL" wrote:

You are doing well with the supplements. I myself am not a Science Diet
person, but we each find what works for our animals. I found that a good
pediatric vitamin worked well - plus, they are flavored. You might want to
look at a bottle of biotin - gives the oils a jump start.

One suggestion - Don't drag out the dip therapy if the breed is not
sensitive to ivermec. My current dog was a demodex dog - every hormonal
surge brought about another session of dips. She's a bullmastiff, so there
were alot of growth surges. It got to the point where she would not go any
where near the tub if the dip was being mixed. That wasn't a problem until
she got past the 70 pound mark.

I switched to the Ivermec shot, it cleared the situation right up. Plus,
the dog now gets into the tub by herself!

.. .

Old March 14th 04, 06:00 PM
Robin Nuttall

Hal Jordan wrote:

Hello,
We have a great Doberman male pup, found small bare spots on his coat,
after a scrape and a look under the microscope found that he has
Demodectic mites. We have scheduled the Vet to begin a regiment of
dips. Until then, I am curious of the "home remedies" course of action
and thought I'd see if anyone had treatments that have been successful
for them in this type of case.

I was told benzoyl peroxide might help some but it seems a bit weak
for that even at the strength of 10%.

See if your vet has something called Goodwinol Ointment. And there are
some indications that with localized demodex (around head and neck) just
being patient may result in it going away on its own. I do NOT like the
dips, they are extremely strong. I had a dobe many years ago who had
demodex, I dipped her according to instructions, and she lost
consciousness for about 6 hours. Quite, quite scary.

Another question, what is the best way to increase a dog's immune
system Vitamins?? We have him on Science Diet Puppy Food for Large
Breed Dogs and we mix in a bit of Diamond Puppy Food for the best of
both foods and we have given him vitamin E and Fish Oil to help his
skin, our other Dobe had a skin rash early on and those vitamins
helped, plus we use a bit of sunflower or peanut oil on their food.

The truth is, the tendency to get demodex is almost always something
that is inherited. You're correct to target the immune system--a weak
immune system is the primary cause of the disease, and dogs who get
demodectic mange should not be bred.

So being as a weak immune system is genetic, I'm not sure there's a
tremendous amount you can do to boost it. In fact, the best thing may be
to do nothing. Our instinctual response to things like demodex, staph
(bumpy, pimply coat), etc, is to throw meds and antibiotics at them.
Unless your puppy has a serious problem that demands antibiotics, try to
avoid them at all costs and let him work through the issue. For
instance, if the puppy had a bladder infection I'd do antibiotics. but
if it had a pimply chin, I would not. Try to give the dog's own immune
system a chance to kick in and fight the minor puppy issues that come along.

Old March 16th 04, 09:41 PM
Hal Jordan

Thanks for the response Robin, I had read about the Goodwinol Ointment
I was not sure if it was over-the-counter or not. I don't like the
sounds of the dip, the stories I have heard, like yours, makes it all
the less my preferance...and the $50 per visit for 6 weeks doesn't
sound good either but we'll do what it takes.

Thank you,

Hal

mange melinda Dog health 10 December 31st 04 09:15 AM
General Question on dog Obedience joe Dog breeds 1 September 9th 04 10:04 PM
Skin Rash/Mange/And Dips C.L. Dog health 48 March 9th 04 11:05 PM
several questions about mange Ted Shoemaker Dog health 2 September 18th 03 09:51 PM
several questions about mange Ted Shoemaker Dog health 0 September 18th 03 09:23 PM