General Question on dog Obedience

Old September 9th 04, 05:23 PM
joe

Default General Question on dog Obedience

Just a general question on obedience. My dog readily listens to me,
my wife and my kids. However He does not take commands from others as
well. Is he supposed to?

My opinion is that as long as he is well mannered (no jumping,
mouthing ...) he does not. I've had several discussions with friends
and we have differing opinions. The question I always ask them is "if
a burglar breaks in, should your dog sit when th eburglar tells him
to?"

Thanks for your opinion!
Joe
Old September 9th 04, 10:04 PM

On 9 Sep 2004 09:23:09 -0700 joe whittled these words:
Just a general question on obedience. My dog readily listens to me,
my wife and my kids. However He does not take commands from others as
well. Is he supposed to?

Depends upon (a) his breed and (b) what you want. It is unrealistic to
expect some breeds to be obedient to strangers. One of my German
Shepherd's good qualities was that she would obey only me, or a person I
handed the leash to. I doubt I could ever have trained her to work for
just anyone. OTOH my Tsuki's good quality is that he will work
for just about anyone who knows what they are doing. If I had desired
him NOT to work with others I would have had to train him that way.

My opinion is that as long as he is well mannered (no jumping,
mouthing ...) he does not. I've had several discussions with friends
and we have differing opinions. The question I always ask them is "if
a burglar breaks in, should your dog sit when th eburglar tells him
to?"

Yes, it depends upon what you want from your dog. I've had protective,
single person dogs. Now I have very social dogs. I used to prefer the
former, now I prefer the latter. The other side of your burglar question
is what do you want to happen when one of your kid's friends forgets a
jacket and pops back into the house to get it? For folks with kids the
dog who shows the burglar the silverware leaves you with a lot fewer
worries.

--
Diane Blackman
http://dog-play.com/

Dog Purchase Question - Info Please punchy Dog breeds 1 October 26th 03 11:38 PM
supplement question CCDOX Dog health 0 October 9th 03 03:05 AM
ESS Feeding Question Darby Wiggins Dog breeds 6 July 18th 03 03:00 PM
Question for breeders Tara O. Dog breeds 12 July 13th 03 03:28 PM
Dew Claw Question Suja Dog breeds 9 July 8th 03 06:51 PM