How many walks a day for a Doberman?

Old March 13th 04, 06:21 PM
Terry Stone

Default How many walks a day for a Doberman?

The dog websites say that a Doberman requires lots of exercise, but they
never put a figure on it. How much exercise? I can walk a dog in the
morning and at night in the local park. Is this sufficient? I am worried
the dog would get bored and fat.

Old March 13th 04, 06:56 PM
Kurtis D. Rader

On Sat, 13 Mar 2004 17:21:14 +0000, Terry Stone wrote:

The dog websites say that a Doberman requires lots of exercise, but they
never put a figure on it. How much exercise? I can walk a dog in the
morning and at night in the local park. Is this sufficient? I am worried
the dog would get bored and fat.

I've never owned a Doberman, but currently have a Border Collie, GSD,
Chow/Shepherd and Staffordshire Terrier. All are active breeds and the
Collie is very active. We do a brisk 4.2 mile walk every day and I think
that is barely sufficient.

Old March 13th 04, 11:40 PM
Jo Wolf

A bored, unexercised Dobe is 1.) going to drive you nuts with
restlessness, and 2.) likely to be destructive around the home, and 3.)
is going to be like a rocket clipped to the leash.

Just walking is Not going to provide enough exercise unless you walk all
day. grin A Dobe needs a good run PLUS a couple of very long, brisk
walks everyday. It also needs training and continuing mental exercise.

It's almost like "if you have to ask, it's too much", in this case,
talking about exercise instead of money. Also, remember the Dobe's size
as an adult. By the time the Dobe is trotting along nicely, you are
running. Trotting is more natural to most dogs than merely walking...

A Great Dane adult would adapt better to two long walks (human jogging)
a day than would a Dobe.... but would still need some running each
week.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia

Old March 14th 04, 11:36 AM
Diana

"Scott" wrote in message
How old is your dog, a pup? I think it would make a difference.

Terry Stone wrote:

You took the words right out of my keytboard!

As a pup, until the bones are fully developed, you want to be pretty
careful - a guide I was told is 5 mins per month of age - eg, my 8month old
weim pup gets around 40mins per day.

it also depends a lot on what else you are doing with the dog - if you are
working from home, training, driving around with the dog, you are going to
be keeping his mind occupied, so he'll require less physical exercise.

When he is adult he can walk pretty much as far as you want to take him,
though a variety of places is better than the same park day in, day out. its
more fun for you too.

Oh, and finally, the more you give, the more they want - 2 hours a day
should be quite sufficient with a bit more or less on the odd day,
especially if spread out over a day - eg, I used to walk my GSD for 20mins
in the morning, 40 mins at lunchtime, and 1.5 hours in the evening, with a
stroll around the block later at night.

Diana

Old March 14th 04, 05:53 PM
Robin Nuttall

Terry Stone wrote:

The dog websites say that a Doberman requires lots of exercise, but they
never put a figure on it. How much exercise? I can walk a dog in the
morning and at night in the local park. Is this sufficient? I am worried
the dog would get bored and fat.

It depends, in part, on who you get your dog from. But for the most
part, 2 onleash walks a day are not going to be enough.

As a rule, Dobermans need both mental and physical exercise. They are
smart dogs and if you don't give them something to do, they will find
something all on their own--and you probably won't much care for it.

There is no specific recipe for how much exercise your dog will need. I
find, for my dogs, that about an hour or so of offleash running, 5-6
days a week, is what they need to be civilized. In addition to that
time, they also are trained 4-5 days a week in agility, and occasionally
my older dog plays with obedience and tracking.

HOwever. Part of this will also depend on what kind of bloodlines you
get. My dogs are from a mix of Euro/American lines, have a lot of drive,
and need a lot of exercise. You may be able to find a dog with much
lower drives, who may not need as much mental or physical stimulation,
but generally dobes are not very good couch potato dogs.

Seriously, if you want something you can just walk couple of times a
day, you might consider a rescue greyhound. Low maintenance, want a blow
out every once in awhile, but otherwise happy to sleep lots.

Old March 15th 04, 05:20 PM
atl1960

I agree with Robin regarding exercise. I have a show-quality Doberman
with American/South American pedigree, and he definitely requires more
exercise than leash walking. I live in a high-rise condo, so it's a
challenge. Fortunately, I live adjacent to a large city park, and
also take him to my country home on the weekends.

In any event, I've owned Dobermans for 20+ years and found they need
much more exercise than leash walking, irregardless of pedigree. And,
I don't think jogging or roller-blading is enough. They need
quick-burst and high-speed type of running. That seems to fit well
with their intuition and breeding. Personally, I think these dogs
need at least an hour a day of off leash running/playing...and more if
possible. If not sufficient exercise, their health will suffer, and
they will get very bored/restless. Look for bad behaviors to develop
if they're not exercised and socialized adequately.

Dobes are very smart dogs, and must be handled accordingly. They need
lots of attention, and if not receiving it, will find a way to get
your attention...good and bad!

P.S. There probably isn't a more lovable and dependable dog on the
planet!
Old March 16th 04, 02:15 PM
Terry Stone

Thanks everyone for your considered replies. I would love a Doberman, but
they sound like a lot of work. More than 2 hours a day!

Thanks again,

Terry.