Green Lipped Mussel Extract, etc

Old October 5th 03, 11:47 AM
phil

Default Green Lipped Mussel Extract, etc

Does this extract contain any Chondroitin?

Can it be administered with a supplement ('Fortiflex') that contains
Chondroitin?

If the Fortiflex hasn't had any effect on the dogs' problem (in this
case a 6 year old male Golden Retriever who has some difficulty
getting his back legs up after lying for a while) will the Green
Lipped Mussel Extract help at all?

Thanks,
Phil

Old October 7th 03, 04:03 AM
Jo Wolf

Phil, I'm familiar with this Forti-flex stuff and couldn't find anything
on it quickly...

Here's my experience with green lipped mussel... dried... in the form of
a product called Glyco-flex, made by Vetri-Science. I have used it for
years for my bilaterally hip dysplastic Border Terrier. It takes a few
weeks (up to 6) to take effect. The same is true of most of this type
of supplement, to include glucosamine. Fred was soon moving like a
young dog... running, up and down stairs... starting when he was 8 1/2
yo. At 13 I added glucosamine, just on general principles... he was an
old dog and old dogs, like old people, get a bit stiff and creaky. He
died at a few months short of 16, still moving like a much younger dog.

Chondroitin tends to pass through dogs too fast to be of much effect.
In my joint protection program, I would use the Glyco-Flex, possibly
with glucosamine as needed. I'd also add some vitamin C, and maybe some
MSM. Actually, now I'd look for a single product that included as many
of these as possible....

There are some very good product descriptions on the K.V. Vet Supply web
site.... good reliable company with reasonable prices... I'm not
getting any kickbacks... sigh... go to
www.kvvetsupply.com

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia