How to determine the adult weight of a dog while still a pup?

Old November 4th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default How to determine the adult weight of a dog while still a pup?

Hi Y'all,
I am trying to estimate the weight that a 4 month old puppy may become
when she is an adult. I have Googled the subject and found 2 locations
addressing the my question. One of them indicated a puppy usually grows
up to be double his/her weight at 3months. The other site indicated it
was 4 months. Neither of those seem accurate to me.
Does anyone know of a method of estimating the adult weight of a dog
especially when you are dealing with an unknown breed. I am guessing
Pit bull is the likely breed in this case.
Thanks for any info on the subject.

Be Free.....Judy

Old November 8th 08, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet said..
For most medium-large breeds, the rule of thumb is double 4 month
weight. I tend to like them leaner than that. Google Pitcairn growth ~ a
chart I have used for years that seems fairly accurate.
Janet,
Thanks for the information. I will check out the growth chart you
mentioned. I used to track my Dobe pups weight but that was decades ago
and I can't recall what they weighed at 4 months. This pup weighed in
at 24 pounds and I am reasonably sure she is about 4 months. I think
45-50 pounds seems likely for her adult weight. It will be interesting
to find out.

Be Free.....Judy