Aggressive Behavior Help

Old February 2nd 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default Aggressive Behavior Help

We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become
very aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started
with biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to
that. He was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and
attention deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac.
Unfortunately, while things improved for a short time, they are now
worse and we are at our wits end as we love him so much but he is
dangerous to live with. Please send any information or advice you have
as it relates to the Eurasier breed and how we might handle this.Kind
regards.
Old February 2nd 08, 07:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Finn" wrote in message
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become very
aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started with
biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to that. He
was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and attention
deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac. Unfortunately, while
things improved for a short time, they are now worse and we are at our
wits end as we love him so much but he is dangerous to live with. Please
send any information or advice you have as it relates to the Eurasier
breed and how we might handle this.Kind regards.

Shakes head, Prozac, I've heard it all now

Redman

Old February 2nd 08, 10:34 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Finn" wrote in message
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become very
aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started with
biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to that. He
was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and attention
deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac. Unfortunately, while
things improved for a short time, they are now worse and we are at our
wits end as we love him so much but he is dangerous to live with. Please
send any information or advice you have as it relates to the Eurasier
breed and how we might handle this.Kind regards.

Serious ? why would you give a dog Prozac when it's been shown to have
massive side effects in Humans? There are massive lawsuits coming out of the
woodwork against Eli Liily the manufacturers. Here's a piece from the UK
Telegraph newspaper from April last year:
Dr Roger Mugford, a leading animal psychologist, said vets were not keen on
the development of drugs to treat animal behaviour, a view expressed at a
recent meeting in Birmingham of the British Small Animal Veterinary
Association. "A number of speakers, including me, were all of one mind that
pharmacological help with any anti-depressant or mood modifying drugs
diminishes the better you are at your behavioural management," he said. "The
more skilful you are at behaviour modification, at getting the animal
husbandry right - diet, exercise, lifestyle and so on, the less the need for
drugs." Dr Mugford said there were also concerns that Prozac had some
unpleasant side effects in humans, which could suggest that some dogs might
become aggressive when taking it.

Redman

Old February 3rd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Finn wrote:
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become
very aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started
with biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to
that. He was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and
attention deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac.
Unfortunately, while things improved for a short time, they are now
worse and we are at our wits end as we love him so much but he is
dangerous to live with. Please send any information or advice you have
as it relates to the Eurasier breed and how we might handle this.Kind
regards.

I'd never heard of the Eurasier breed before your post. I've now looked
at a picture and know nothing more. My comments, therefore, are general.

You're asking for advice and information from a bunch of people who have
never met you, never met your dog, never seen in person the behaviors
you're describing. Giving advice about "biting" and "dangerous to live
with" would be stupid under those circumstances. That might be why no
one has answered your questions.

He's only 7.5 months old, so my first guess would be that the bites were
normal untrained puppy behavior and that he needs obedience training,
but a veterinary behaviorist who has met your dog has said otherwise.
I'd say either to go with the advice given by the expert who has seen
your dog, or tell us why you don't trust that advice. If you don't care
for the advice of one expert, get another expert. Prozac is something
that does help some dogs under some circumstances, but really, "attacks"
are a problem that can't be helped on usenet.

--Lia

Old February 3rd 08, 03:49 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On Feb 2, 9:17*am, Finn wrote:
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become
very aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started
with biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to
that. He was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and
attention deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac.
Unfortunately, while things improved for a short time, they are now
worse and we are at our wits end as we love him so much but he is
dangerous to live with. Please send any information or advice you have
as it relates to the Eurasier breed and how we might handle this.Kind
regards.

Julia is right. Aggression can't be solved on the internet.
Old February 3rd 08, 03:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Julia Altshuler wrote:
Giving advice about "biting" and "dangerous to live
with" would be stupid under those circumstances. That might be why no
one has answered your questions.

Yes, exactly.

Old February 3rd 08, 09:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Finn" wrote in message
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become very
aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started with
biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to that. He
was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and attention
deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac. Unfortunately, while
things improved for a short time, they are now worse and we are at our
wits end as we love him so much but he is dangerous to live with. Please
send any information or advice you have as it relates to the Eurasier
breed and how we might handle this.Kind regards.

I'd advise you get help from a qualified trainer or behaviorist in your
home. Perhaps your vet can give you a referral. The descriptions of the
behavior of the dog are very scary.

I have met a Eurasier and because they are closely related to one of my
breeds have looked into them - and being a "one person dog" and protective
isn't uncommon but what you have described above is uncommon in ANY breed
and is very, very serious. Please get help.

Old September 23rd 12, 12:50 AM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become
very aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started
with biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to
that. He was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and
attention deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac.
Unfortunately, while things improved for a short time, they are now
worse and we are at our wits end as we love him so much but he is
dangerous to live with. Please send any information or advice you have
as it relates to the Eurasier breed and how we might handle this.Kind
regards.
Hi. please, where did you get your eurasier from. I got mine from buffspike eurasiers, swindon. my dog showed the same traits as yours but also suffered severe medical problems, he had jps surgery at 4 months, had a twisted gut, had to have his spleen removed and was so randomly aggressive at 17 months that he had to be put to sleep. in his 17 months he bit 13 times. something is wrong with his breeding and i am trying to warn people from having puppies from his bloodline. the breeders i got him from avoided all contact with me when the first problems began. i broke my heart when i had to have him put to sleep last week and i want to prevent other people from going through the same heartache. if anyone else is having problems with the eurasier temperment please please contact me as i want to bring this problem well and truly out in the open. they have to stop breeding from bad lines or we will be living with ticking bombs just like i did. thankyou for reading
Old October 12th 12, 01:49 PM
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
We have a 7.5 month old Eurasier (male, now neutered) who has become
very aggressive toward me (his primary caregiver). His attacks started
with biting my feet right after he was fed and are now not limited to
that. He was diagnosed by a veterinary behaviorist as having anxiety and
attention deficit with impulsivity and is now taking Prozac.
Unfortunately, while things improved for a short time, they are now
worse and we are at our wits end as we love him so much but he is
dangerous to live with. Please send any information or advice you have
as it relates to the Eurasier breed and how we might handle this.Kind
regards.
Don't worry, I thing Its your carelessness about his physiology.
Its cover just home made experience.just give him sweet food by your own hand for a few days and see result.

dog diet

Last edited by micle62 : October 13th 12 at 03:07 PM.