Next heat cycle after false pregnacy?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 11th 18, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default Next heat cycle after false pregnacy?

On Wednesday, May 1, 2002 at 12:30:00 PM UTC-7, Ray wrote:
Andrea J Chee wrote in
:

In article , Chuck
writes

We had our two year old Thai Ridgeback bred, but she had a false
pregnacy. Never had this happen before with a dog, so when can I expect
her to go into heat again?

False pregnancy is essentially part of a bitch's normal cycle - unlike
people, they go through the same hormonal changes whether they are
pregnant or not, or whether they are mated or not. That part of the
cycle is called met-oestrus when they aren't pregnant. Some bitches
respond to the hormones and have a visible false pregnancy, others
don't, but the hormone cycle is still happening in both. So her cycle
should remain the same regardless whether she's had a false pregnancy
or not.

I'm a little concerned that you're mating a bitch without knowing the
normal cycle though. It implies that you may not have done enough
homework to get your girl through her pregnancy and delivery safely, to
keep most of the puppies alive (expect to lose some even with the very
best care - sometimes you get lucky, but even the best breeders
regularly have pups that don't make it), or to make sure that the pups
won't suffer from expensive and heartbreaking genetic disorders as they
grow up.

If you have your girl's best interests at heart, get some books and do
some general research on bitches/mating/pregnancy/whelping. You'll also
need to find out what breed-specific health testing the parents should
have before they're mated, which known problems in the breed you need
to avoid, and so on - this may take some time in what is a
comparatively rare breed, and you may need to speak to some responsible
existing breeders. To get you started, you may wish to look up luxating
patella and dermoid sinus, which are known inherited problems in the
breed.

- ANDREA

Whoa Andrea.....better reign in that condescending holier than thou reply..
Who made you judge of other peoples abilities? Who said they did not know
what a normal cycle was?

I raise Rhodesians, which are very similar to Thai Ridgebacks. My bitches
having a false pregnancy due to an unsucessful mating will go into heat 3-5
months after the false pregnancy. There are many factors that will affect
when the bitch will go into heat again depending on whether there was no
conception, if there was a miscarriage, or if it was just a false pregnancy
with no mating. You may not know if there was a miscarriage very early in
the pregnancy.

As for saying that, "her cycle should remain the same regardless whether
she's had a false pregnancy or not." Sorry, you got that wrong. My bitches
have proven that statement to be false several times.

Ray

You seem to be the most reasonable human being here and I'm having no luck in research so maybe you can advise me....I'm not looking to breed my girl but here's the situation ....
We adopted a beautiful pittador 2 years old about 53 days ago. She is showing EVERY single sign of dog pregnancy. There is nothing wrong with her the vet couldn't confirm anything when we first took her in at first symptom and now she's seemingly going back to normal nipple and such but no puppies.....obviously 'false pregnancy' these people who had her were horrible and have zero information for me..... no they didn't charge me for her it was straight up adoption anything they surrendered her to us..... but.... just so I know roughly what to expect when does anything heat (blood visible) cycle happen after this type of false experience for her? Again I don't want to breed her but would like to kind of know what to expect

Next heat cycle after false pregnacy? [email protected] Dog health 0 January 6th 18 09:43 PM
Prewash Cycle Shelly Dog behavior 2 April 24th 07 11:51 AM
blindness and the day/night cycle booger Dog health 1 November 6th 05 05:31 AM
My bitch and heat cycle...Help ms Dog health 1 May 30th 05 12:20 PM
Akita - False heat? Please help ShaWin Dog behavior 4 March 10th 05 02:27 AM