How to stop dog attacking door...

Old May 26th 06, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default How to stop dog attacking door...

Folks, I'm at wits end.

I have a 15 month old Sheltie that insists on attacking the door
whenever anybody leaves. It doesn't matter what door, as long as the
door leads outside. I've tried treating him for good behaviour,
crating him for a minute before and after somebody leaves, holding him,
etc. Nothing seems to work.

Can somebody please give me an idea of how to correct this behaviour?

Thanks very much in advance.

Old May 27th 06, 01:07 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Dog Charging Through the Door
By Fred Hassen, Head Trainer "Sit Means Sit" Dog Training

I often have problems with clients' dogs that like to charge through
doors-----especially the sliding glass door in the back. It is
especially a problem if the client has multiple dogs. Let's start with
the sliding glass door, and this can be carried over to any type of
door. What has caused this problem in the first place?

Every time that you have opened the door, it has been a written
invitation for the dog to come through. In other words..... (door
sliding) = (dog charging). This has also been verified again and again,
therefore proving to the dog that he is exactly right each and every
time. The first thing we have to do, is to show the dog that (door
opening) = (step back). Here is how we do that:

The second that you open the door, you are immediately to kick your
feet one after the other right into the space provided. When you see
the dog next to the door, walk up to the door, slide it open---then
immediately kick your feet through the opening. Do not wait to see if
the dog steps back or not. For now, just kick your feet through either
way. Then shut the door and continue going about your business.

We are instilling in the dog that (door opening) = (feet are coming
out). We are verifying it each time. Doesn't matter how many dogs are
out there. About the 4th time that you do this, the door will open and
the dogs will automatically step back. In fact, they will probably even
step back as they see you approaching the door.

At this time, you want to start overlaying a "wait" command to the
opening of the door----or a similar word. Now, once you open that door,
and they are waiting on command----they will start to get brave (trust
me on this), and when they see that no foot is coming out even though
you said "wait", they will move forward to test the water. Immediately
bring the feet back out and repeat the "wait" command. Reinforcement
never ends, and it's under control now---just keep it that way.

For other articles, please see www.SitMeansSit.com

Old May 27th 06, 07:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

wrote in message
ps.com...
Dog Charging Through the Door
By Fred Hassen, Head Trainer "Sit Means Sit" Dog Training

I often have problems with clients' dogs that like to charge through
doors-----especially the sliding glass door in the back. It is
especially a problem if the client has multiple dogs. Let's start with
the sliding glass door, and this can be carried over to any type of
door. What has caused this problem in the first place?

The dog isn't charging through the door, he is attacking it.
I seriously would not advise anyone to kick their feet through the gap when
they open the door. They could get bitten.
Alison

Old May 27th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

On 26 May 2006 17:07:35 -0700, , clicked their heels
and said:

Dog Charging Through the Door
By Fred Hassen, Head Trainer "Sit Means Sit" Dog Training

what a weird approach.

--
Janet Boss