New - considering rescue / rehomed dog

Old October 31st 03, 02:28 AM
Supergoof

Default New - considering rescue / rehomed dog

Hi there

Firstly, is there a difference between rescue and rehoming/rehousing?

We're trying to get a Newfoundland puppy from a reputable breeder, but if
that's not going to be possible in the next few months we're considering a
rehomed one instead.

We currently have an 11yo speyed female lab cross who is very good-natured
but has been known to be a little jealous of other dogs getting too close to
us when we're sitting down, but she's fine with those she knows like my
brother's dog and her litter-mate, who is my mother's dog.

I'm trying to find out what are the pros and cons of getting a rehomed dog,
particularly a Newfoundland, especially since this would be our first Newfie
(we've done a lot of reading and asking those who have them about the breed,
I guess my main concern is, is a rehomed dog the best choice as the first
one of a particular breed).

I know any behavioural or health problems would very much depend on what
situation the dog has come from. Are there any 'red flags' that we should
really watch out for?

How do you best integrate a second adult dog into a household with an
existing dog?

Any pointers to resources or FAQs would also be appreciated.

thanks
Rachel
(New Zealand)