Bump On Dog's Eyelid

Old January 17th 08, 04:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ulysses

Default Bump On Dog's Eyelid

My Golden/Border Collie mix has a bump on her eyelid near the outer/upper
edge of her eye. Do dogs have tear ducts in that location? It looks like a
clogged duct or some kind of infection. It does not seem to bother her but
it looks like it should be a bit uncomfortable. I could not find any
diagrams of dog eyelid anatomy. Any links?

I made an appointment for her but it's not until next week. Anyone have any
suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks.

Old January 17th 08, 01:19 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Ulysses" / wrote in message
My Golden/Border Collie mix has a bump on her eyelid near the outer/upper
edge of her eye. Do dogs have tear ducts in that location? It looks like

clogged duct or some kind of infection. It does not seem to bother her

but
it looks like it should be a bit uncomfortable. I could not find any
diagrams of dog eyelid anatomy. Any links?

..........easy to find with anatomy eye dog
http://www.ipohvet.com/index.php?opt...=37&Itemi d=5
4

......not tear ducts, those are in the same place as humans - inner corner of
eye. There's some lacrimal glands there. Good you're having it checked
out.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 17th 08, 05:52 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ulysses

"buglady" wrote in message

"Ulysses" / wrote in message
My Golden/Border Collie mix has a bump on her eyelid near the

outer/upper
edge of her eye. Do dogs have tear ducts in that location? It looks

like
clogged duct or some kind of infection. It does not seem to bother her

but
it looks like it should be a bit uncomfortable. I could not find any
diagrams of dog eyelid anatomy. Any links?

.........easy to find with anatomy eye dog

http://www.ipohvet.com/index.php?opt...=37&Itemi d=5
4

.....not tear ducts, those are in the same place as humans - inner corner

of
eye. There's some lacrimal glands there. Good you're having it checked
out.

Thanks for the link--that's just the picture I was looking for. The bump
appears to be in the location of the lacrimal gland just like you said. Now
I just need to find out what a lacrimal gland is.

Old January 17th 08, 05:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Rocky[_2_]

"Ulysses" / said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I made an appointment for her but it's not until next week.
Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

You're seeing your vet, so no suggestions from me, just
anecdotal stuff. My only experience with such growths is the
tiny one on Rocky's lower eyelid. It's been there for about 5
years and hasn't grown and doesn't bother him and I won't worry
about it until it does.

FWIW, a friend's dog had a similar benign growth which grew
quickly after being tiny for years and had to be removed.

Old January 18th 08, 03:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Ulysses" / wrote in message
Now
I just need to find out what a lacrimal gland is.

...........off the top of my head I 'd say they help lubricate the
eye......with tears.

Old January 18th 08, 05:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Ulysses

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Ulysses" / said in
rec.pets.dogs.health:

I made an appointment for her but it's not until next week.
Anyone have any suggestions in the meantime?

You're seeing your vet, so no suggestions from me, just
anecdotal stuff. My only experience with such growths is the
tiny one on Rocky's lower eyelid. It's been there for about 5
years and hasn't grown and doesn't bother him and I won't worry
about it until it does.

FWIW, a friend's dog had a similar benign growth which grew
quickly after being tiny for years and had to be removed.

Thanks. From what I've read (thanks to buglady's link) it sounds like it
might be the lacrimal gland but so far it does not sound like "Red Eye" or
"Dry Eye" so I guess that's something. The bump is about 1/8" in diameter
and is near the outer corner of her eye at the top. Sometimes it looks a
little bigger and sometimes a little smaller.

Old January 18th 08, 07:24 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
FurPaw[_2_]

Ulysses wrote:

Thanks. From what I've read (thanks to buglady's link) it sounds like it
might be the lacrimal gland but so far it does not sound like "Red Eye" or
"Dry Eye" so I guess that's something. The bump is about 1/8" in diameter
and is near the outer corner of her eye at the top. Sometimes it looks a
little bigger and sometimes a little smaller.

Joining in late - Oppie had a lump on an eyelid that was
diagnosed (IIRC) as an infected hair follicle. It got to be
about 1/4" in diameter and took a long time to go away, even with
antibiotic ointment treatment. The eyelashes in the area fell
out and a short strip of them never did grow back.

FurPaw
--
"Every gun that is made, every warship launched,
every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense

To reply, unleash the dogs.

Lump/Bump on dog's ear Dog health 2 November 4th 06 06:57 PM
Any home or homeopathic remedies for wart on dog's eyelid? Dolchas Dog health 0 March 23rd 04 02:09 AM
What should I do re dog's wart (or growth) on eyelid? Dolchas Dog health 5 March 19th 04 02:01 AM
Bump under skin JM Dog health 14 October 18th 03 06:59 PM
Bump under skin JM Dog health 0 October 16th 03 04:38 PM