New mousetrap is Muttley's oyster

Old February 19th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Default New mousetrap is Muttley's oyster

Janet Boss wrote:

Paul's cat met it's demise because Paul wouldn't get out of bed to let
her in at night. Let's not suggest he get another.

Oh good grief! Is *that* what happened?

--
Shelly
Old February 19th 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

"Janet Boss" wrote in message
In article NJAuj.4352$0%3.1857@trnddc06,
"\(the\)duckster" wrote:

How do you think you two would get along with a cat?

Paul's cat met it's demise because Paul wouldn't get out of bed to let
her in at night. Let's not suggest he get another.

Oh, bad idea. Thank you for bringing me up to speed.

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

--
Janet Boss

Old February 19th 08, 01:42 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

Oh good grief! Is *that* what happened?

Really sad, isn't it? He was so worried that Muttley would injure the
cat, and then....... So much for his bucolic country life. Photon's
life was ended by a car.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 19th 08, 01:49 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

Really sad, isn't it? He was so worried that Muttley would injure the
cat, and then....... So much for his bucolic country life. Photon's
life was ended by a car.

I had no idea. Poor cat. How hard would it have been to let her
in? To keep her separated from the dog? This stuff isn't rocket
science, yaknow?

--
Shelly
Old February 19th 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

How hard would it have been to let her
in?

In my best whiney voice: It would have meant getting out of
beddddddddddd. Paul was comfy. His cat was not. She was crying at the
door to be let in and he was too lazy to get up and open the door. So
he found her dead the next morning. I guess he wasn't as worried about
her wellbeing as he had said.

--
Janet Boss
Old February 19th 08, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Janet Boss wrote:

In my best whiney voice: It would have meant getting out of
beddddddddddd. Paul was comfy. His cat was not. She was crying at the
door to be let in and he was too lazy to get up and open the door.

WTF?! Even if I were warm and comfy and totally-****ing-lazy, the
noise of a crying cat would have ruined it all. I'd have to get up
and let her in, just for my own sanity, if not because it's the
Right Thing To Do.

So
he found her dead the next morning. I guess he wasn't as worried about
her wellbeing as he had said.

Not worried at all, apparently. Ugh.

--
Shelly
Old February 19th 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"\(the\)duckster" wrote:

How do you think you two would get along with a cat?

Paul's cat met it's demise because Paul wouldn't get out of bed to let
her in at night. Let's not suggest he get another.

Oh, bad idea. Thank you for bringing me up to speed.

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

Of course, Janet will make it sound like it's all my fault, just to try to
make me feel worse than I already do. Let me try to explain in more detail.

My cat Photon was an indoor/outdoor cat who alternated between staying
outside or inside, and sometimes she would let me know by scratching at the
door, meowing, or in other ways. When I got Muttley, he was cat aggressive,
and I had to keep them separated. When she was inside, she would hide in
the crawl space under the floor, except for times when I had Muttley
tethered outside or contained in another part of the house. I was making
some progress in socializing them, and I was able to hold her while Muttley
watched from the other side of a screen door.

On one particular night, I had been working very late, while Photon was
outside, and I was just about asleep, when I thought I heard some sounds
that might have been her wanting to come in. Sometimes I had found that
this was not the case, and it was a nice evening in October. She had food
and water outside, and if she came in I would have had to tie Muttley
outside, or else she would just run under the floor, while he would get
excited and stare at the hole where she went. Even so, if I had heard
continued or more urgent sounds, certainly I would have taken these
precautions and let her in. But I heard nothing more, and went to sleep. I
probably should not have even mentioned this insignificant detail, because
those who have an agenda to discredit me or make me into a monster can and
have used this as ammunition.

The next day when I went outside, I expected to see her crawl out of the
bushes or wherever it was that she usually spent the night. I called and
there was no response. But that was also not unusual. Sometimes she would
be gone for a day or longer, and meet me when I got home at night.
Sometimes I knew she was probably crossing the road because I would hear
cars slow down and honk their horns just before she would appear on the
porch. At night, sometimes I would see her in the road and call to her and
try to make her realize the danger. She had a sense of the danger and would
quickly run to safety when she heard a car whizzing by. But I had a sense
of dread that morning. Later, as I started off to go to work, I saw her
lifeless body by the side of the road against a loose rock wall. So, I
brought her remains back to the house, let Muttley sniff her one last time,
wrapped her in an old shirt, and buried her under a white pine tree up on
the hill where sometimes she would play.

Now, Janet et al, please leave this alone. All of us here have tragedies
that we have shared, and nobody wants to be reminded of any possibility
that their actions may have contributed to the injury or demise of a
beloved pet. If you can't do this, it seriously reflects on a viscious side
of your character that should be addressed.

Paul and Muttley (and the spirit of Photon, RIP)

Old February 19th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

"Shelly" wrote in message
Janet Boss wrote:

In my best whiney voice: It would have meant getting out of
beddddddddddd. Paul was comfy. His cat was not. She was crying at the
door to be let in and he was too lazy to get up and open the door.

WTF?! Even if I were warm and comfy and totally-****ing-lazy, the noise
of a crying cat would have ruined it all. I'd have to get up and let her
in, just for my own sanity, if not because it's the Right Thing To Do.

So he found her dead the next morning. I guess he wasn't as worried
about her wellbeing as he had said.

Not worried at all, apparently. Ugh.

See my more detailed reply to Duckster. Janet has an agenda to make me feel
worse than I do about this incident, and she has added her own dramatic and
inaccurate "details" to make it sound like I was totally uncaring and lazy.
But that's what "mean people" do, I guess. They lash out at those they
dislike with whatever ammunition they care to assemble. Any benefit of
doubt or interpretation of a tiny detail is twisted to reflect their own
worst case take on the incident. And she will not "leave it", but rather
enjoys stirring up negative sentiment any time she gets a chance for a new
jab. It's immature and hateful.

Paul and Muttley

Old February 19th 08, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
See my more detailed reply to Duckster. Janet has an agenda to make me feel
worse than I do about this incident, and she has added her own dramatic and
inaccurate "details" to make it sound like I was totally uncaring and lazy.

As opposed to largely uncaring and lazy.

Anyway, what I don't understand is why, having had one pet
run down by a car, you'd be so cavalier about letting dogs
run.