Who wants my lab?

Old February 18th 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

Default Who wants my lab?

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Why? Somebody's dear sweet Atty (she's not mine this
morning) decided to roll her head through deer poop or some
type of poop whilst out for her morning business.

Deer poop doesn't really adhere and, in my experience, isn't
particulary stinky. Any geese around?

The worst I've seen was a dog who'd found a human, uhm,
"campsite."

Geese do fly over, but I never see them in the yard. The deer have a path
through our yard, and I've seen deer droppings in the yard frequently - and
clean it up alot, she loves to snack. Whatever she rolled in, it was all
over her neck and face, and rubbed in/ground in to her fur pretty good.
Whatever it was, it has a very heavy ammonia smell.

Sue and Atty

Old February 18th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
William Clodius

Rocky wrote:

snip
The worst I've seen was a dog who'd found a human, uhm,
"campsite."

Ho about a knocked over porta potty.
Old February 18th 08, 07:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Rocky" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

I'm open to hints on how to desmell the house - I didn't
realize the smell until I went out to try to find what she
rolled in and came back in.

Febreeze or Glade for the quick fix, bleach'n'water if it's on
lino or tile, Petastic if on carpet or furniture, garbage can if
on pretty much anything else.

This time of year, I do all that first and then open windows and
doors whilst putting on a sweater. I get lots of wind, so house
odours flush quickly.

Glade didn't touch it. bleach won't work - all but the kitchen is carpet -
the kitchen is wood. I've got baking soda on the carpet now, and it seems
to have helped. I think I'll open the house again for a few minutes. It
just seems to be permiated in the air - she didn't get a chance to rub it
into the carpet or furniture, thank goodness. All of the towels I went
through are on the front porch. I'm hoping when I vaccuum up the baking
soda I don't make it worse by infecting the sweeper and, well...... I see a
horrible cycle starting!

Thanks to all who have offered suggestions.

Sue and Atty

Old February 18th 08, 07:59 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

"
said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

*Unless of course you're cooking liver, in which case even
-100F isn't too cold to open up the windows.

Amen to that. I made liver treats for Yoda once. Never
again. I don't love him THAT much.

I do that stuff on the BBQ, outside - though I once made lamb
liver treats inside, but on a windy summer day.

Old February 18th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Suja" wrote in message

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message:

Glade didn't touch it. bleach won't work - all but the kitchen is

carpet -
the kitchen is wood. I've got baking soda on the carpet now, and it
seems
to have helped.

You're going to think I'm kidding, but for Indian food overpowers the
foulest of stenches. Even goose poop and rolled in dead animal stench.
Of
course, then you'd have a hell of a time getting rid of stale Indian food
smell.

What I've done to successfully eliminate odors is to boil some water with
drop of some sort of essential oil or extract in it. I've tried
sandalwood
oil, lavender and orange, and they all work pretty well. In a pinch, I
boil
water with a few crushed cloves and cinnamon sticks in it, and it makes
the
house smell wonderful too.

Suja

I'd take stale Indian food smell right now! Maybe I'll go cook some liver.
It *can't* be worse!
I've got some essestial oils from Atty's vet that we've used holisitcally.
I think I'll go see what's in the arsenal.
Thanks.

Sue and Atty

Old February 18th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Sue and Atty

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message

"Suja" wrote in message

snip
What I've done to successfully eliminate odors is to boil some water with
drop of some sort of essential oil or extract in it. I've tried
sandalwood
oil, lavender and orange, and they all work pretty well. In a pinch, I
boil
water with a few crushed cloves and cinnamon sticks in it, and it makes
the
house smell wonderful too.

Suja

I'd take stale Indian food smell right now! Maybe I'll go cook some
liver. It *can't* be worse!
I've got some essestial oils from Atty's vet that we've used holisitcally.
I think I'll go see what's in the arsenal.
Thanks.

Sue and Atty

Juniper and melrose. I'll report back.
Sue and Atty

Old February 18th 08, 08:06 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message:

Glade didn't touch it. bleach won't work - all but the kitchen is

carpet -
the kitchen is wood. I've got baking soda on the carpet now, and it seems
to have helped.

You're going to think I'm kidding, but for Indian food overpowers the
foulest of stenches. Even goose poop and rolled in dead animal stench. Of
course, then you'd have a hell of a time getting rid of stale Indian food
smell.

What I've done to successfully eliminate odors is to boil some water with a

Old February 19th 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Beth In Alaska

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
t...
Lab for sale - real cheap. At this point, she's free. Here I sit, 6:30
am, windows and doors open in February, and 1 dog who's had a bath already
today. Why? Somebody's dear sweet Atty (she's not mine this morning)
decided to roll her head through deer poop or some type of poop whilst out
for her morning business. And somebody decided to send her back to the
bedroom and wake me up to tell me so I could give her a bath.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Gee, and I was hoping to get to sleep in this morning.

Who wants her?

You can add in a bonus poop rolling corgi to sweeten the deal.

Old February 19th 08, 02:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

"Judy" wrote in message
"Sue and Atty" wrote in message
t...
And somebody decided to send her back to the
bedroom and wake me up to tell me so I could give her a bath.
GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Gee, and I was hoping to get to sleep in this morning.

Who wants her?

Sue and Atty

I believe it's the Somebody who sent her back to wake me up who would be
offered for free to the first taker.

Judy

Perhaps you have seen this card before, but I just rec'd it for my 50th.

Things your dog does to celebrate your birthday:

1. Wet nose master at 5:30 a.m.
2. Go out and pee on the world.
3. Make poopy
4. Snif poopy.
5. Seriously think about eating poopy.
6. Eat funny looking bug instead.
7. Toss up bug contents onto rug.
8. Drink from magic well.
9. Roll in filth, lavish Master with kisses.
10. Crawl onto couch, sleep 17 hours, start over.

The pictures were pretty funny, too. Enjoy your day. I'm a big fan of
labs!

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

Old February 19th 08, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Suja wrote:

"Sue and Atty" wrote in message:

Glade didn't touch it. bleach won't work - all but the kitchen is

carpet -

the kitchen is wood. I've got baking soda on the carpet now, and it seems
to have helped.

You're going to think I'm kidding, but for Indian food overpowers the
foulest of stenches. Even goose poop and rolled in dead animal stench. Of
course, then you'd have a hell of a time getting rid of stale Indian food
smell.

What I've done to successfully eliminate odors is to boil some water with a
drop of some sort of essential oil or extract in it. I've tried sandalwood
oil, lavender and orange, and they all work pretty well. In a pinch, I boil
water with a few crushed cloves and cinnamon sticks in it, and it makes the
house smell wonderful too.

I kill two birds with one stone by nuking a bowl of water with a few
cloves, a strip of orange or apple peel or a little of that bottle of
fake vanilla I bought by accident. Even a dollop of jam will work.
Smells great and makes it easy to clean the microwave. My husband cried
foul, though, when I used a spoonful of cocoa, leading him to believe
that there were brownies forthcoming.

Use a pretty big bowl because you're going to be boiling the contents.
In my microwave it takes about two minutes to take 2 cups of cold tap
water up to a full boil, and I set the timer for an additional 3 minutes
from there.

Then let it stand for with the door closed for about ten minutes to let
the steam soften the goobers. Remove bowl and bottom tray (if present)
for cleaning. Dump the water and spices (or whatever) into the disposal
while running hot water.

Wipe down the interior of the microwave with a damp cloth (microfiber,
by preference) to removed the crusties. Rinse, wring and wipe again.
The house will still smell nice but you don't necessarily want a
lingering sweet odor in the microwave itself if you're preparing
something savory.