[OT] - Ping techy folks - Is my HD dead??

Old November 2nd 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Rocky[_2_]

Default [OT] - Ping techy folks - Is my HD dead??

Marcel Beaudoin said in
rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows
will start loading (or at least the Windows Loading screen
shows up) and then I hear a loud grinding noise. I get a
very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts down and starts up again
in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down
properly...bhlahblahblah".

I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one,
and my data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as
buying a new hardrive, installing windows and then I am
good to go? (followed by updating all of my drivers)

Probably, yes.

Old November 2nd 08, 09:21 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Paul E. Schoen

Default - Ping techy folks - Is my HD dead??

"Melinda Shore" wrote in message
In article W7ZOk.5603$fF3.1948@edtnps83,
Dale Atkin wrote:
If it's a bad CPU fan, the problem should be more intermittent. One time
booting it up, it may get right to the desktop, and run for 20 minutes.
Next
time, it may only get as far as starting windows.

The correct answer to nearly every technical question is "It
depends," and that's the answer to this one as well. My
first guess would be the disk drive but I certainly wouldn't
rule out either the CPU fan or the power supply fan as the
source of the noise based on the symptoms so far.

One way to find out would be to boot up the computer using a system disk.
I'm not sure I have one for XP, but I do have a "rescue CD" that might
work. But I know I have bootable floppies for previous versions of Windows,
such as 95, 98, and Me. It will at least allow you to run the computer in
command mode (like MSDOS), and you can poke around the hard drive to see if
you can read the directories. If the computer runs like that without making
noises (or if it makes noises when reading the HD), then the HD is the
likely suspect. Otherwise, a CPU or PS fan will make noises and eventually
possibly cause overheating and shutdown.

HTH,

Paul and Muttley

Old November 3rd 08, 04:50 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

One way to find out would be to boot up the computer using a system disk.
I'm not sure I have one for XP, but I do have a "rescue CD" that might
work. But I know I have bootable floppies for previous versions of
Windows, such as 95, 98, and Me. It will at least allow you to run the
computer in command mode (like MSDOS), and you can poke around the hard
drive to see if you can read the directories.

You'll (likely) need some kind of boot disc that can read NTFS, so windows
95, 98, Me discs are out. I don't recall off the top of my head if the
WindowsXP boot has a rescue environment (something is telling me it does,
but I don't know how complete it is).

You could also try selecting "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" and see if you
can get anywhere (won't necessarily tell you what is wrong, but at least you
might be able to copy some files to your backup drive.

Da;e

Old November 3rd 08, 03:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

Default [OT] - Ping techy folks - Might not be my Hard drive

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, Marcel Beaudoin
wrote in . 1.4:

When I start up my computer, the BIOS loads, and windows will start
hear a loud grinding noise. I get a very rapid BSOD, and then it shuts
down and starts up again in the DOS "Your computer did not shut down
properly...bhlahblahblah".

I have two harddrives on the computer, with windows on one, and my
data on another harddrive. Will it be as simple as buying a new
hardrive, installing windows and then I am good to go? (followed by
updating all of my drivers)

Update time

I spent some of the weekend, poking around inside my computer.

I took the sides off, and started it up, trying to figure out which of my
HDs the noise is coming from. Turns out it is not coming from my HDs, the
clicking/grinding is coming from one of my DVD players. When I put my hand
on it, I can feel it vibrating.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that my computer won't start
up. I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive and set the
drive to be the start-up device, and there was no happiness. No real
difference in what happened.

Crap.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old November 3rd 08, 03:28 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. 1.4...

I took the sides off, and started it up, trying to figure out which of
my
HDs the noise is coming from. Turns out it is not coming from my HDs,
the
clicking/grinding is coming from one of my DVD players. When I put my
hand
on it, I can feel it vibrating.

Loose or missing screw?

However, that still doesn't change the fact that my computer won't
start
up. I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive and set
the
drive to be the start-up device, and there was no happiness. No real
difference in what happened.

This is a long shot, but have you made sure your RAM A) is seated
properly and B) hasn't died? It can come loose/die, and when it does,
you'll only get as far as your BIOS on booting up.

--
Shelly

Old November 3rd 08, 03:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, "Shelly" wrote in
:

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
. 1.4...

I took the sides off, and started it up, trying to figure out which of
my
HDs the noise is coming from. Turns out it is not coming from my HDs,
the
clicking/grinding is coming from one of my DVD players. When I put my
hand
on it, I can feel it vibrating.

Loose or missing screw?

Don't think so, but I will check.

However, that still doesn't change the fact that my computer won't
start
up. I tried putting my Windows Installation disk in the drive and set
the
drive to be the start-up device, and there was no happiness. No real
difference in what happened.

This is a long shot, but have you made sure your RAM A) is seated
properly and B) hasn't died? It can come loose/die, and when it does,
you'll only get as far as your BIOS on booting up.

I will check that as well.

Thanks.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old November 3rd 08, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, " wrote
in
:

Open up the cover, boot it up, and listen closely for where the noise
is coming from. I've gotten similar symptoms from a bad CPU fan.

I tried that, like I noted below, and it turns out that the noise is coming
from my DVD drive. I can feel it vibrating as well.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old November 3rd 08, 03:50 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

in rec.pets.dogs.behavior, "Dale Atkin" wrote in

You'll (likely) need some kind of boot disc that can read NTFS, so
windows 95, 98, Me discs are out. I don't recall off the top of my
head if the WindowsXP boot has a rescue environment (something is
telling me it does, but I don't know how complete it is).

There is a Windows XP series of floppies that will allow you to install XP
from the CD if, for whatevere reason, you can't boot from the CD:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310994

I will have to try them to see if it works.

You could also try selecting "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" and see
if you can get anywhere (won't necessarily tell you what is wrong, but
at least you might be able to copy some files to your backup drive.

Tried that, same result as if I don't choose it. I also tried "Choose last
known functioning session" (Or whetever it is) and it also didn't work.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli
Old November 3rd 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Dale Atkin

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
I tried that, like I noted below, and it turns out that the noise is
coming
from my DVD drive. I can feel it vibrating as well.

Did you unplug your DVD drive to confirm? This is sounding more like a
software issue now than a hardware failure (DVD drives can make all kinds of
strange noises, especially with a DVD in)

Dale

Old November 3rd 08, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Marcel Beaudoin

"Marcel Beaudoin" wrote in message
I tried that, like I noted below, and it turns out that the noise is
coming
from my DVD drive. I can feel it vibrating as well.

Did you unplug your DVD drive to confirm? This is sounding more like a
software issue now than a hardware failure (DVD drives can make all
kinds of strange noises, especially with a DVD in)

I will be testing that tonight.

--
Marcel Beaudoin and Moogli