Question 3 in MA and Prop 2 in CA Good news

Old November 5th 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
pfoley

Default Question 3 in MA and Prop 2 in CA Good news

Thank you voters in MA for voting yes on Question 3. And a big thank you
to the Californians for voting yes on Prop 2.

https://community.hsus.org/humane/no...er_id=28844325

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...on_3_setu.html

Old November 5th 08, 09:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

pfoley wrote:

And a big thank you to the Californians for voting yes on Prop 2.

Geez - you cannot imagine how much you offended me with that remark.
You sure as heck can ****NOT**** thank me for that one - I was and
am very opposed to it and voted against.

We sensible Californians are now looking forward to having eggs
trucked in on a large scale from Mexico (NOT).

Dianne
Old November 5th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
(null) wrote:
We sensible Californians are now looking forward to having eggs
trucked in on a large scale from Mexico (NOT).

I expect that you're especially looking forward to PETA
getting search warrants sworn out on chicken farms, too.

The way food is produced and food animals are treated in the
US is a complete horror show but that three-ring circus
known as Prop 2 is just shifting around incentives to keep
treating animals badly while inflating costs and increasing
agriculture's already ginormous carbon footprint.

It would be nice to do something but at best this is a step
sideways. Between this and the passage of Prop 8
Californians got a few things wrong yesterday.

Old November 5th 08, 09:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Suja

"(null)" wrote in message:

Geez - you cannot imagine how much you offended me with that remark.
You sure as heck can ****NOT**** thank me for that one - I was and
am very opposed to it and voted against.

I for one was very disappointed that California actually voted Yes on Prop
8. Very, very sad.

Suja

Old November 5th 08, 11:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

Melinda Shore wrote:

It would be nice to do something but at best this is a step
sideways. Between this and the passage of Prop 8
Californians got a few things wrong yesterday.

Yeah, well, at least with 8 we have the hope that the Supreme Court
will strike it down again - after all, nothing has changed to make
it any less of a civil rights issue than it was however many months
ago now.

If you don't live in California, there's absolutely no way I can
convey how sleazy the tactics of the pro-Prop 8 people were. They
were absolutely Rove-ian in nature.

Finally, to paraphrase Gavin Newsome on the local news last night:
"This is the first time a constitution has ever been used to take
rights away from people rather than to protect them. I don't quite
know what to make of that." Me either.

Dianne
Old November 6th 08, 12:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

In article ,
(null) wrote:
Yeah, well, at least with 8 we have the hope that the Supreme Court
will strike it down again - after all, nothing has changed to make
it any less of a civil rights issue than it was however many months
ago now.

My employer is located in California. We have about 65,000
employees, and not only did some of them marry their
same-sex partner when it was legal, some of them rushed into
hasty weddings to get it done just in case it became
illegal. So those dumb-assed Mormons who pushed that mess
through inadvertently created incentives for same-sex
couples to be as hasty and casual about marriage as many
opposite-sex couples. And that's kind of funny.

Well, two steps forward and one step back. California may
have made much of the rest of the country throw up in our
mouths, but there's no taking away what happened yesterday.
Until the past month or so I would never have believed that
an African-American could be voted president of the US in my
lifetime, and to do it carrying Virginia and North Carolina
is incredible.

Old November 6th 08, 12:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kevin Michael Vail

In article ,
(Melinda Shore) wrote:

Well, two steps forward and one step back. California may
have made much of the rest of the country throw up in our
mouths, but there's no taking away what happened yesterday.
Until the past month or so I would never have believed that
an African-American could be voted president of the US in my
lifetime, and to do it carrying Virginia and North Carolina
is incredible.

This is what I am focusing on. I couldn't go to bed last night because
I was so wired (in a good way) by events. Even if I had tried, the
celebrations outside wouldn't have let me...people were driving around
honking their horns, shouting in pure joy, and the energy (at 1am on a
"school night"!) was tangible. 1200 people throwing a spontaneous party
in front of the White House at midnight???

I took Peanut out for a walk around 9:30 last night, and a homeless guy
with a cane was limping down the street toward us. I was prepared for
him to ask for money, but instead he said "Are you watching the
election?" and I said I was, and he said "Who's ahead?" When I told him
Pennsylvania and Ohio had gone blue, he said "All right!" very softly,
smiled, thanked me, and walked off.
--
Kevin Michael Vail* * | I would rather have a mind opened by wonder
* * * | than one closed by belief. * -- Gerry Spence
Old November 6th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Judy

"Terri" wrote in message
While I'm at it, we haven't had children this young in the White
House since Amy Carter. Well, Amy was 9 but Caroline and John Jr.
were much younger.
*This*, is going to be interesting in all sorts of new ways!

AND...... A puppy!

The first of the campaign promises to be kept.

Judy

Old November 6th 08, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Kathleen

Judy wrote:
"Terri" wrote in message

While I'm at it, we haven't had children this young in the White
House since Amy Carter. Well, Amy was 9 but Caroline and John Jr.
were much younger.
*This*, is going to be interesting in all sorts of new ways!

AND...... A puppy!

The first of the campaign promises to be kept.

I taught 5th grade today, at one of our district's western-most
elementary schools. Our district is enormous - 10 elementary schools, 5
middle schools and three high schools (well, 4, if you count Union, an
alternative high school that resides in the basement of one of the other
high schools). The variation in demographics and school cultures never
ceases to amaze me.

And the school I was at today is rural. Really rural. That school and
the middle school and high school that it feeds into practically have to
call an official holiday for the opening day of deer season.

About 25% of the student population, both male and female, suddenly fall
victim to a mysterious malady. Many of them return to school with skin
disorders resembling sunburn/windburn, poison ivy, chiggers and the
occasional tick bite. A few report ringing in the ears and difficulty
concentrating when you can see the woods right out the window. There is
a marked increase in the use of words like "pow", and "blam" during
conversations.

They held a mock election, and did an exit poll. The exit poll
predicted a landslide victory for McCain/Palin, which turned out to
accurately predict the actual results of the student election. I found
that mind boggling in a working class/agricultural community.

The consensus in my class, however, was that Obama's big win did have an
up side, in that his girls were going to get their puppy. You've got to
admire that kind of generosity of the spirit.

Old November 6th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

"Suja" wrote in message

I for one was very disappointed that California actually voted Yes on
Prop
8. Very, very sad.

And frightening, that the taking away of existing rights can be
constitutionally enshrined.

--
Shelly