Rescue Adventurer Leaves to Get a Job

Old January 13th 13, 05:38 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Default Rescue Adventurer Leaves to Get a Job

Back in September, our Border Terrier rescue got a waif from a shelter
in Arkansas. Before we could move him to a long-term foster in
Mississippi, we discovered two startling things about this 16 lb dynamo.
A four foot fence is no challenge. He can remove the tray from the
bottom of a wire crate with no problem.... and suck the throw rug from
beneath that crate and another occupied crate into his. We started to
think that he would need a home where he'd DO something... maybe
agility.

With his long-term foster mom, he was a pretty good boy.... but she got
called up as a Red Cross volunteer up in New York, and a friend of hers
who has been a hobby and club trainer for 30 years took the rascal on
for that time. Twice while he was with the substitute mom, he played
the crate game.... once when he was in a large crate.... that he moved
laterally for several feet, around a corner and over to the room's door.
Change that home to one with a Real JOB.

Out of the blue, we'd been contacted by a trainer of law enforcement
dogs (many from shelters) who needed a small dog for a specific agency.
His foster mom was a bit concerned about keeping him in the crate for
shipping.... because he also had shown her that he could "do things" to
a Vari-Kennel door mounting.... I think she used well over a dozen
zip-ties/cable ties on that crate, so he arrived safely in Boston, still
confined and he hadn't even eaten the Vari-Kennel or the absorbent pad
in the bottom.

In the morning, he'll meet his new tutor's SIX KIDS and 3 dogs. Foster
mom assures me that he'll ignore the 3 dogs and try to capture all six
kids' attention all the time.......

In a few weeks he'll move on to the final guvmunt agency for specific
training for an experimental project.... All concerned have been made
well aware of his problem-solving skills and climbing ability.... I am
praying for his handler's sanity..... {grin}

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old January 16th 13, 09:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
In the morning, he'll meet his new tutor's SIX KIDS and 3 dogs. Foster

mom assures me that he'll ignore the 3 dogs and try to capture all six
kids' attention all the time.......

In a few weeks he'll move on to the final guvmunt agency for specific
training for an experimental project.... All concerned have been made
well aware of his problem-solving skills and climbing ability.... I am
praying for his handler's sanity..... {grin}

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Sounds good but do you know exactly what the training involves?
I mean , goverment agency and experimental project ! Yikes !
Ali

Old January 17th 13, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

I do not know what his Job will be, but I am satisfied with the training
techniques that will be used.... very Positive, although probably not
with a clicker. More likely to be with toy.... and food.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old January 17th 13, 03:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
I do not know what his Job will be, but I am satisfied with the training
techniques that will be used.... very Positive, although probably not
with a clicker. More likely to be with toy.... and food.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

That sounds good My minds boggleing as to what he will be doing ,
some sort of search thing I expect !

Ali

Old January 18th 13, 10:58 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Possibly. With the miniaturization of everything these days, who knows?
But I really don't see him fitted with the armor coat with the camera
attached like the one that was used in the ben Laden operation....
{grin} And traditional law enforcement "take down" dogs really do need
to be larger than this little guy, but he could be trained to trip the
bad guys. The breed is certainly a convenient size to be strapped to a
parachutist, or drag wires through brush or tunnels.

The Navy uses Jack Russells as drug sniffers on ships.... and back
during Vietnam, used a few Cairn Terriers. The Agriculture Dept uses
Beagles to sniff out illegally imported fruit and meat.... So small
dogs are nothing new....

Border Terriers have qualified as SAR dogs, cadaver dogs, and I know of
one being trained to sniff out bedbugs.... Tracking has been easy for
the ones who's owners are into the outdoor world. They do very well in
the new sport of Nosework. And earthdog and Barn Hunt are naturals to
them. Agility likewise. Lure coursing, and rabbit and squirrel, even
some upland bird, hunting as well. A few have even been pretty good
duck dogs (retrieving in water), and a few have shown some herding
instinct. A couple have qualified as "hearing ear" dogs. One has
qualified for a Schutzhund 1.... but wasn't elegible to recieve the
title, despite doing the work. The Brits had started training some for
landmine detection just before the end of WWII. I know of BTs working as
asthma and seizure alert dogs, too. Versatile little twits.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old January 20th 13, 12:13 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Alison[_3_]

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
Border Terriers have qualified as SAR dogs, cadaver dogs, and I know of

one being trained to sniff out bedbugs.... Tracking has been easy for
the ones who's owners are into the outdoor world. They do very well in
the new sport of Nosework. And earthdog and Barn Hunt are naturals to
them. Agility likewise. Lure coursing, and rabbit and squirrel, even
some upland bird, hunting as well. A few have even been pretty good
duck dogs (retrieving in water), and a few have shown some herding
instinct. A couple have qualified as "hearing ear" dogs. One has
qualified for a Schutzhund 1.... but wasn't elegible to recieve the
title, despite doing the work. The Brits had started training some for
landmine detection just before the end of WWII. I know of BTs working as
asthma and seizure alert dogs, too. Versatile little twits.

Jo Wolf

They're a popular (terrier) breed here after Yorkies and JRts. I didnt
realise how versatile they are.
The hearing dogs in the Uk have generally been different breeds, usually
small , sometimes gifted or from rescues. I adopted Ginnie , a jap Chin
from hearing dogs after her owner died . Apparently, they are starting to
breed their own dogs now , though don't what breeds .
Alison

Old January 20th 13, 05:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jo Wolf

Many of the hearing dogs here are small mixed breeds, many of those
being terrier mixes. Most are rescues. Canine Companions for
Independence used to use mostly Pembroke Corgies, and they were the one
that trained the Border Terriers.... donated by their breeder who also
trained for that organization for some time.

Yeh.... we have about 900-1000 newly AKC registered Border Ts per year
here..... In England, it's been around 5000 per year for some time now.
A few in the US are registered with some of the "junk" registries that
cater to the puppy mill industry. There are very few in Canada. I'm
guessing under 500 per year. When I got my first one in 1983, there
were fewer than 300 new registrations.... and by '89-'90, I knew almost
all of the breeders by sight or had chatted with them on the phone as we
set up our rescue network (my breed mentor got me involved with rescue
from the time it was first mentioned.).

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 28th 13, 08:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Michael Savich

On 2013-01-13 04:38:39 +0000, Jo Wolf said:

Back in September, our Border Terrier rescue got a waif from a shelter
in Arkansas.

A Border Terrier Shelter? What is it called?

Pasado's safe haven/ New Orleans rescue, HSUS stiffs rescue groups hsus_stinks Dogs - general 0 October 14th 05 01:46 AM
rescue Paul Roberts Dog rescue 2 September 27th 05 05:48 AM
nursing mother leaves frequently Swede Dog behavior 0 May 15th 04 02:13 AM