New AKC Agility regs announced

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 23rd 05, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.activities,rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Default New AKC Agility regs announced

"cimawr" wrote in message
oups.com...

How does the scribe know what the fault was?? Or does the judge have
a different signal for each type of fault, rather than signaling points
(5, 10, 20, E) as they do in NADAC?

There are different hand signals for each fault. A refusal (sigh... ) is a
fist. A wrong course is a hand with fingers/thumb spread. An F is both
hands, fingers/thumb spread. A T (table fault, bouncing on and off the
table) is a T like the timeout signal, using both hands. E's will vary by
judge but is usually waving both hands at waist level. Some judges will have
a sign for "touched your dog" so the handler will know why they were E'd but
not whistled off, That usually happens in novice where the judges don't want
to further overwhelm a handler who is already having issues, when the touch
is minor/inadvertent but still against the rules.
Clear as mud?

And does the scribe actually write down the letter, or are there hash
mark columns for each type? (If the former, I can see where it could
REALLY slow things down when it got the score table, depending on the
scribe's handwriting. G)

The scribe writes the letter. There is a biiiiig empty box and you usually
get the hang of writing without looking. The only problems occur when there
is fault after fault after fault... at that point, I'll look down
occasionally to make sure I'm still writing in the box and not elsewhere on
the sheet - if I miss an R after five Fs, it isn't an issue. You do have to
make sure you are writing reasonably legibly, though, as in Nov/Open you can
still qualify with some faults, and if your F looks like an R or vice versa,
it can affect the results.

Erm. My brain parsed that as meaning that the scribe was writing down
the time when the fault occurred... then common sense took over, and
told me you meant the scribe writes down the dog's time at the end of
the run. :-D

Yup, sorry. Fortunately there isn't a requirement for documenting the exact
time each fault occurred, though I wouldn't have put it past AKC... hee hee.

Yes, that's extremely frustrating. Most of the time I know coming
off the course what went wrong, but every now and then I have a mystery
fault, which I *hate* - I don't like having a fault and not knowing
why.

Yep, and if you think you're clean and find out you were marked down as
NQing, and nobody remembers and no one saw it happen, well, it is
frustrating. Then again, going through a lovely JWW run and thinking you
Q'ed but maybe got a refusal, and asking friends if the R got called, and
finding out no, but the knocked last bar did.... ARGH. So hey, there's
always gonna be frustration!

Christy