How early for tooth decay?

Old July 24th 08, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Mike S.[_2_]

Default How early for tooth decay?

We have a 13-month old Maltese who we got from a breeder at age 5 months.
At 7 months we had him neutered; at the same time the vet suggested
removing 6 retained baby teeth. He was not happy camper immediately after
that day, but was back to eating his dry kibble in a about 2 days.

His diet consists of Eukanuba dry kibble (this is what the breeder
recommended) supplemented with various healthy people foods: lettuce,
broccoli, carrots, plain yogurt, and occasional scraps of meat. These are
never given at the table, so he does not beg for food. He almost never
gets sweets of any kind. He chews on Nylabone edibles and unflavored,
undyed crushed/pressed rawhide sticks.

My wife says he has "bad breath" but frankly his breath doesn't smell any
different from any other dog; usually the smell is from food scraps
carried in his whiskers; when we clean his face with a wash cloth his
breath is baby fresh.

We try to brush his teeth but he is very fussy and at most we usually have
to be satisfied with his chweing on the toothbrush saturated with enzyme
toothpaste. A few weeks ago we noticed that one of his teeth in the
middle, right side of his upper jaw (just barely covered by the angle of
the mouth) looked yellowish and mis-shapen. There is a dark brown
area of gum much higher up where this tooth us, which we have been
assuming is just pigment. We called the vet who recommended an exam and
cleaning under sedation.

Yesterday, he got hold of a purse with a string hanging out and was
chewing on it. As I retrieved it from his mouth, using almost no force, I
discovered a piece of tooth (with a very tiny bit of reddish looking edge)
hanging from the string. We looked in his mouth - of course there is a gap
where that funny tooth once was - but almost no detectable bleeding.
I put the fragment in a zip lock bag for when we bring him to the vet.

We're trying to get an appointment with the vet soon but in the meantime
this is burning us up. We've read that Maltese - and small breeds in
general - have problems with teeth, but assumed that this only became
critical after years of decay (8 or 9 in Wikipedia article). This little
guy is only 13 months! The rest of his mouth looks pretty good, so what on
earth could be going on here? Could this be a baby tooth that was "missed"
during the extractions earlier this year? If not - how can a dog so young
develop rotten teeth so quickly, and on a diet that includes things
supposed to help remove tartar?

Old July 24th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

(Mike S.) spoke these words of wisdom in news:g6a60o$nma
:
Your dog is still loosing baby teeth

Old July 24th 08, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Mike S. wrote:
We're trying to get an appointment with the vet soon but in the meantime
this is burning us up.

If there is a periodontal problem you will almost certainly
see inflammation along the gum line. I know that in humans
(ask me how! no, wait, don't) a retained baby tooth can
start to grow out in the way you describe later in life if
there are other changes in the mouth. That doesn't mean
that's what happened here, but I don't think it's
impossible.

I have a dog with a missing upper canine. Her previous
owner (the breeder) said "it just fell out one day."
Obviously there was something more to it than that but she
doesn't otherwise have periodontal or dental problems, so
I'm guessing injury (she plays rough).

The only one who can tell you for sure is the vet. There
are so many possibilities inside the mouth.

Old July 24th 08, 04:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Mike S.[_2_]

In article , diddy none wrote:
(Mike S.) spoke these words of wisdom in news:g6a60o$nma
:
Your dog is still loosing baby teeth

Guess that's still possible. After the 6 extractions earlier this year,
from the discussion with the vet we kinda "Assumed" there were no more
baby teeth as the idea was to ge them all while he was under anesthesia
for the neutering. Will post after the vet visit.

Old July 27th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Mike S.[_2_]

In article ,
Melinda Shore wrote:
In article ,
Mike S. wrote:
We're trying to get an appointment with the vet soon but in the meantime
this is burning us up.

If there is a periodontal problem you will almost certainly
see inflammation along the gum line. I know that in humans
(ask me how! no, wait, don't) a retained baby tooth can
start to grow out in the way you describe later in life if
there are other changes in the mouth. That doesn't mean
that's what happened here, but I don't think it's
impossible.

I have a dog with a missing upper canine. Her previous
owner (the breeder) said "it just fell out one day."
Obviously there was something more to it than that but she
doesn't otherwise have periodontal or dental problems, so
I'm guessing injury (she plays rough).

The only one who can tell you for sure is the vet. There
are so many possibilities inside the mouth.

Vet says there is gingivitis and lots of tartar. We brought with us the
tooth that fell out; she said there is a bit of root attached to it so
she's not sure if it's a baby tooth or not. Couldn't do a full exam because
of the tartar and lack of cooperation. Scheduled for cleaning and exam
under sedation on Thursday.

Old July 27th 08, 04:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Mike S. wrote:

Vet says there is gingivitis and lots of tartar. We brought with us the
tooth that fell out; she said there is a bit of root attached to it so
she's not sure if it's a baby tooth or not. Couldn't do a full exam because
of the tartar and lack of cooperation. Scheduled for cleaning and exam
under sedation on Thursday.

In humans, at least, sometimes it happens that the root of a baby tooth
fails to dissolve completely. My son had a baby molar that was loose
but didn't want to come out. Wiggling it caused pain and bleeding.

His sister (older by 4 years) got tired of listening to him complain
about it. She told him, "C'mere, lemme see, let's go in the kitchen
where the light is better." He really should have known better.

Next thing I knew, she had him in a headlock with her hand in his mouth.
She twisted, yanked, he yelped, and there was the tooth in her
fingers. It had a nasty, sharp little dagger blade of residual root on
one edge that had kept it anchored - no wonder it hurt to wiggle it.

Old July 31st 08, 04:43 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Jul 26, 11:18 pm, Kathleen wrote:
Mike S. wrote:
[...]

I know some dogs are prone to more tartar. I think there are some
drops you can put in the drinking water to help, otherwise it is all
maintenance.

good luck!
Old August 1st 08, 01:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior,rec.pets.dogs.health
Mike S.[_2_]

Mike S. wrote:
[...]

Exam and dental scaling done under sedation yesterday.

Sure enough, the tooth that popped out looked to be a baby tooth, and its
retained partner on the opposite side was extracted. This all puzzled us,
as 5 months ago the vet had told us she had extracted all 6 remaining baby
teeth under anesthesia. Perhaps these were impacted or not visible at the
time. In any case, he now has a full set of teeth with no extras, and they're
all pearly white.

The vet gave us some "perio" nuggets that are supposed to be effective in
scaping off tartar. Dog won't touch then unless hand-fed; frankly they
small like cardboard. Also a sample of similar stuff in powder form to
sprinkle in his regular food. We'll give that a try.

He gets all fussy when we try to brush his teeth; in retrospect maybe part
of that is due to his frantic efforts to lick the good-tasting doggie
toothpaste. Perhaps we should try brushing with no toothpase at all; it'd
be better than nothing or ineffective brushing.