click on link help for agent

Old June 6th 05, 09:09 PM
Janet B

Default click on link help for agent

hi Agent experts - I need help. I can't click on a link to open it.
Actually, I CAN click on it, but it doesn't open. Something about "no
application associated with http.....) Tells me to go to options,
general preferences URL types, which I do, but that's where I'm lost.

Can anyone walk me through this? Tired of C&P.

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com
Old June 6th 05, 09:14 PM

on 2005-06-06 at 16:09 wrote:

hi Agent experts - I need help. I can't click on a link to
open it. Actually, I CAN click on it, but it doesn't open.
Something about "no application associated with http.....)
Tells me to go to options, general preferences URL types,
which I do, but that's where I'm lost.

Can anyone walk me through this? Tired of C&P.

i know exactly what the problem is, but i need the program
in front of me in order to walk you through it. i'll check
when i get home and if no one has helped you out by then, i'd
be happy to give you a hand.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette
http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com/
http://letters-to-esther.blogspot.com/ (updated 4/3/05)
Old June 6th 05, 11:06 PM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 16:09:06 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

hi Agent experts - I need help. I can't click on a link to open it.
Actually, I CAN click on it, but it doesn't open. Something about "no
application associated with http.....) Tells me to go to options,
general preferences URL types, which I do, but that's where I'm lost.

Can anyone walk me through this? Tired of C&P.

okay. i'm using an older version of Agent than you are, but this should
be basically the same.

Options -- General Preferences

first, go to the URL Types tab
in the URL box, select "http: URL:HyperText Transfer Protocol."
check the box next to "Enable highlighting and launching."
click the radio button next to "Use Windows registry settings."

i'm assuming you want links to launch in your default browser. if you
want them to launch in a different flavor of browser, click the radio
button next to "Use Custom settings (below)." then go to the browse
window and search for the application you want to use.

click OK and you're done.

next, go to the URLs tab
in the "Launching URLs" section, make sure that "Double-click to launch"
and "Force web browser to open in a single window" are checked.
click OK and you're done.

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

H is for Hector done in by a thug.
-- Edward Gorey, The Gashlycrumb Tinies

Old June 7th 05, 01:19 AM
Janet B

wrote:

[...]

unfortunately, that's exactly as they have been and i even reset them
and nada.

Old June 7th 05, 01:59 AM

On Mon, 06 Jun 2005 20:19:55 -0400, Janet B
wrote:

unfortunately, that's exactly as they have been and i even reset them
and nada.

hmmm. i uploaded screen shots of the two windows, with the settings
i've been using, so that you've got a visual. maybe there's something
checked that *shouldn't* be checked?

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette/URLs.jpg
http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette/URLTypes.jpg

the only other thing i can think of is that a different browser usurped
the default status and somehow, Agent refuses to recognize the imposter.
you should be able to go into your preferred browser's preferences and
force it to check and reset it as the default.

if that doesn't help, i don't know what else to think. have you tried
right clicking on URLs? that should open a "what do you want me to do
with it" menu.

if it's any consolation, we had a sudden, nasty storm yesterday
afternoon. i managed to (barely!) get my computer shut down before it
hit, but something went wonky. when i restarted, Windows wanted to go
through scan disk, as if i'd shut it off in mid-thought. hmmm. when
Windows finally finished loading, it started at the profiles screen,
which i've never used. then, when i opened Firefox, all my bookmarks
were gone. i searched high and low, but *all* my profile settings were
missing. everything seems to be working fine hardware-wise, though.
(well, except for my scanner, which started making a grinding noise the
day before, then crashed my computer in a big way. *******! i was
hip-deep in work and didn't have the time or the energy to drop
everything and go scanner shopping.)

anyway, i hope something works for you!

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

Control-P-Print
-- Eddie Izzard

Old June 7th 05, 06:14 AM
Rocky

Janet B said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

unfortunately, that's exactly as they have been and i even
reset them and nada.

It's your operating system's job to interpret how a URL in Agent
is supposed to be interpreted. Probably.

Go to the Start-Run box and type in the complete URL (including
the http://). If what you want to happen happens, your original
problem is Agent's fault, otherwise it's Windows' fault.

Old June 7th 05, 12:50 PM
Janet B

On 7 Jun 2005 05:14:47 GMT, Rocky , wrote:

It's your operating system's job to interpret how a URL in Agent
is supposed to be interpreted. Probably.

Go to the Start-Run box and type in the complete URL (including
the http://). If what you want to happen happens, your original
problem is Agent's fault, otherwise it's Windows' fault.

looks like it's Windows (DH will say "of course it's *%&$ Windows -
f'ing Microsoft"). Now to try to figure out what to do about it.

Old June 7th 05, 04:27 PM
TomH

wrote:

hi Agent experts - I need help. I can't click on a link to open it.
Actually, I CAN click on it, but it doesn't open. Something about "no
application associated with http.....) Tells me to go to options,
general preferences URL types, which I do, but that's where I'm lost.

Can anyone walk me through this? Tired of C&P.

You are using Forte Agent 2.0/32.652 (Good for you!)

Navigate to:
Options General Preferences
URLs and MIME Settings URLs
Launching URLs: check 'Double click to launch'

[Helpfile: "Checking this box allows you to launch a URL
in a message by double-clicking the URL. If you uncheck
this box, double-clicking just selects the text (i.e.,
it does not launch the URL or copy it to the
clipboard)."

This should fix your launch problem. The URL content will
now be passed from Agent, and Windows will interpret the URL
as requiring Internet Explorer or Firefox or whatever you
have set as your default browser, and launch that program.

However, Agent can be configured to do unique things with
each type of URL (http, https, icq, gopher, ETC.) To
confirm your settings for HTTP. Follow the menupath as
above, going to "URL Types" instead of "URLs". In the 'URL'
drop-down list box, select "http: URL:Hyper Text Transfer
Protocol". You should see:

- Enable highlighting and launching. [Checked]
- How to launch the URL -- Use Windows registry settings.
(Custom Settings should all be grayed out.)

HTH, HAND, WTF,

Tom
--
+ TomH + antonomasia-at-canada-dot-com

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

Also: http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/gey_chr0.htm
Old June 7th 05, 05:29 PM
Rocky

Janet B said in rec.pets.dogs.behavior:

Now to try to figure out what to do about it.

It's probably a file association problem then. If you're not
comfortable fixing these directly, try this:
http://www.pc-tools.net/win32/setbrowser/

(Have you tried *double-clicking* on the link in Agent? This
is how it works in Xnews.)