Reaction to Advantage?

Old November 1st 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Janet B

Default Reaction to Advantage?

On Wed, 1 Nov 2006 09:11:40 -0500, montana wildhack
, clicked their heels and said:

Has anyone else had or seen a reaction like this?

I don't use the stuff, but have heard similar. Why not just treat the
new dog prior to bringing her home? Any self-serve dog washes? We
have 2 close to my house - handy if there's someone questionable to
bring home!

--
Janet Boss
Old November 1st 06, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

on 2006-11-01 at 09:11 wrote:

Has anyone else had or seen a reaction like this?

I used to use Frontline for ticks. Elliott really did not
like having drops applied. He'd run and hide whenever he saw
me get them out. That was *completely* out of character for
him. And, like Bella, he would run around like a crazy dog
after they were applied. I think he found the smell *hugely*
unacceptable, and I can't say that I blame him. That was
another reason I switched to using amitraz collars for ticks.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old November 1st 06, 03:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
www.wackerwhippets.com

Are you using Advantage or Advantix ? The differences is that Advantage
doesn't contain a certain chemical that is found in Advantix that gets rid
of tics (Pyrethrins). Advantix has been known to cause some issues with
tremors and stuff (it's all in the fine print), but not advantage.
Pyrethrins are one of the most widely used insecticides in today's flea and
tick products and have been used as insecticides for over 100 years.
Pyrethrins are natural extracts made from flowers of chrysanthemum plants.
These plants grow naturally in the Middle East, Europe, Japan, and most
importantly, Kenya. There are six different pyrethrins: pyrethrin I and II,
cinevin I and II, and jasmolin I and II. All six are found in flea and tick
products, but generally, the label only reads 'Pyrethrin,' regardless of
which of the six types is actually present in advantix.

If it was advantage that caused the issue, then simply switch to frontline.
If that does something similar, check with your vet, but I would switch to
Adams which is a spray that must be applied about once a week and it's not a
prescription.

TW

"Shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...

Old November 1st 06, 04:22 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

on 2006-11-01 at 09:47 wrote:

Are you using Advantage or Advantix ?

Neither. I used to use Frontline for ticks, but several years
ago I switched to amitraz collars. I'm very happy with the
results, but that doesn't help Montana, as her concern is
fleas, not ticks.

The differences is that Advantage doesn't contain a certain
chemical that is found in Advantix that gets rid of tics
(Pyrethrins). Advantix has been known to cause some issues
with tremors and stuff (it's all in the fine print), but not
advantage.

I wouldn't touch Advantix with a barge pole.

Pyrethrins are one of the most widely used insecticides in
today's flea and tick products and have been used as
insecticides for over 100 years. Pyrethrins are natural
extracts made from flowers of chrysanthemum plants.

Natural != equal "magically safe"

but generally, the label only reads 'Pyrethrin,' regardless
of which of the six types is actually present in advantix.

Pyrethroid toxicosis is a problem in cats. As I have an
elderly cat, I am careful about which tick products I use.

http://www.vetmedpub.com/vetmed/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=334605
http://www.dvmnewsmagazine.com/dvm/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=62240

If it was advantage that caused the issue, then simply switch
to frontline.

I *was* using Frontline. It proved unsatisfactory in
controlling ticks, for a number of reasons.

If that does something similar, check with your vet, but I
would switch to Adams which is a spray that must be applied
about once a week and it's not a prescription.

I believe Adams products contain pyrethrins, actually.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old November 1st 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

Yesterday I decided to put some Advantage on Bella, because she's been
itchy and because we may be getting a new dog who I'm pretty sure has
fleas.

A few dogs will have an uncomfortable feeling with the first application. If
you are concerned, call the toll free number on the package and talk to a
Bayer rep.

-Sharon

Old November 1st 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Lynne

on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:28:24 GMT, montana wildhack
wrote:

That would have made sense.

Since I know she reacts like this, I'll call before I use it again (or
call the vet). This is the first dog that had any reaction at all, and
I really wasn't sure what was bothering her - the smell or the feeling
of the drops.

If it's the drops, I can "baptize" her until she gets used to it.

if you aren't concerned about ticks, you may want to consider switching to
Frontline. There is very little to no odor, and I've had several people
tell me they think it does a better job of controlling fleas than
Advantage.

--
Lynne
Old November 1st 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

on 2006-11-01 at 12:24 wrote:

I think the drops felt weird and the smell is pretty bad. I
immediately washed my hands, but afterwards, we were in a
closed room and not only did I find the smell offensive, I
felt some numbness in my tongue. This is a similar to one of
the reactions I have to eucalyptus (a "natural" flea
repellant, by the way).

I noticed the same thing with Frontline. Numb lips, tongue,
and the smell made me headachy. I'm super sensitive to
smells, though, and I'm allergic to all sorts of environmental
stuff, so I tend to assume that when I have a reaction to
something, it's Just Me. (Don't get me started on the
vileness that is Lysol wipes. A coworker uses them
obsessively on her desk, and the smell is enough to make me
have a Linda Blair episode.)

I'm not worried about ticks, I'm just concerned about
potential fleas from the new dog.

I think Janet had the best suggestion, to take the new dog to
a wash-n-go place. Assuming there is such a thing in your
area, of course.

--
Shelly (Warning: see label for details)
Old November 1st 06, 08:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
sighthounds & siberians

wrote:

That would have made sense.

Since I know she reacts like this, I'll call before I use it again (or
call the vet). This is the first dog that had any reaction at all, and
I really wasn't sure what was bothering her - the smell or the feeling
of the drops.

If it's the drops, I can "baptize" her until she gets used to it.

if you aren't concerned about ticks, you may want to consider switching to
Frontline. There is very little to no odor, and I've had several people
tell me they think it does a better job of controlling fleas than
Advantage.

My experience is the opposite; Frontline hasn't worked as well for
fleas or ticks.

Mustang Sally

Old November 1st 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Teresa

now this is a post i like-we have had a big battle over here in new
zealand in the main veterinary services - Advantage or frontline....

well as i have seen many various products used on many different
breeds/sex/age.

i think personally frontline is better but...i think it all depends on
the dogs/cats themselves.

from what you are saying i would say an allergic reaction, i woodnt
recommand using this product again..but then it is your dog....dogs
dont 'need' to be flead unless they have fleas, and you should flea
both dogs together as the new dog could have other unseen little
creatures hiding somewhere else if you say you think she already has
fleas..... but you no this is only my opinion
montana wildhack wrote:
Yesterday I decided to put some Advantage on Bella, because she's been
itchy and because we may be getting a new dog who I'm pretty sure has
fleas.

From her reaction, you would have thought that I had dropped acid on
her back. She completely freaked out and was running around like a nut
for the rest of the day. Today she is behaving normally.

Now, Bella is a little princess and that may be part of it - it smells
and she's not used to it. I don't think she's had a flea treatment
since she was a puppy (hasn't needed it).

Has anyone else had or seen a reaction like this?

Old November 1st 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Shelly" wrote in message
arble.net...
on 2006-11-01 at 12:24 wrote:
I think Janet had the best suggestion, to take the new dog to
a wash-n-go place. Assuming there is such a thing in your
area, of course.

.........that would mean letting the dog dry and for Advantage, waiting two
days to apply.

buglady
take out the dog before replying