11-Month Old Baby, Any Problems with Getting a Puppy

Old May 7th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
[email protected]

Default 11-Month Old Baby, Any Problems with Getting a Puppy

My wife, 11-month old daughter, and I just moved from a condo to a
house with fenced yard. We delayed getting a puppy in the condo, since
we did not have a yard and thought it wouldn't be fair to the puppy to
have a readily accessable outdoor place for the dog to play.

One of our concerns is we don't know if we should buy a puppy while
our daughter is still so young. Should we should wait another a year
or so. Does anyone have any experience with introducing puppies into a
home with a baby?

We're looking at Labrador Retrievers, which are very friendly dogs. I
assume there shouldn't be too many problems, but would love to hear
others' experiences.

Thanks,

- Dave
Old May 7th 08, 10:31 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Handsome \Jack\ Morrison

On Wed, 7 May 2008 14:15:51 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

My wife, 11-month old daughter, and I just moved from a condo to a
house with fenced yard. We delayed getting a puppy in the condo, since
we did not have a yard and thought it wouldn't be fair to the puppy to
have a readily accessable outdoor place for the dog to play.

One of our concerns is we don't know if we should buy a puppy while
our daughter is still so young. Should we should wait another a year
or so. Does anyone have any experience with introducing puppies into a
home with a baby?

We're looking at Labrador Retrievers, which are very friendly dogs. I
assume there shouldn't be too many problems, but would love to hear
others' experiences.

That's one of those questions for which there is no "correct" answer,
Dave.

It all depends. It depends on whether you (you and your wife) are up
to the task of raising both a baby and a puppy at the same time.

Some couples can do it with absolutely no problems at all. But others?
Well, there's a reason that Prozac is so popular, if you know what I
mean.

If this is your first baby and your first puppy, you might want to
wait until the baby is a little older, say 3-5 years old, before
taking on the job of raising a puppy, too.

The Labrador retriever is a great choice, but they can sometimes be
rough on toddlers, because they love to roughhouse, and they're very
STRONG. A Labrador retriever's tail can clear off a coffee table
faster than you can blink your eyes. Make sure you get your puppy
from a reliable breeder, and not from a pet shop. You also might want
to check out any local animal shelters for Lab puppies, too.

And here's a book that should help you out even mo
http://www.amazon.com/Childproofing-.../dp/0446670162

And good luck!

--
Handsome "Jack" Morrison

Reality-based community comes out in support of religious extremism, provided it's the extremism
of the religious Left.
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0508/10126.html

The top ten list of things envirinomentalists need to learn (pay attention, Bozoman!).
http://depletedcranium.com/?p=368

The nanny state, explained.
http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/2...ate-explained/

The total witlessness of Obama apologists.
http://rightwingnuthouse.com/archive...ma-apologists/

Moment of Truth in Iraq: How a New 'Greatest Generation' of American Soldiers is Turning Defeat and Disaster
into Victory and Hope, by Michael Yon.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/pro...283155&s=books
http://www2.nysun.com/article/75405

A book that *every* American should read (and NYT #1 bestseller): Liberal Fascism, by Jonah Goldberg.
http://www.amazon.com/Liberal-Fascis.../dp/0385511841
Old May 8th 08, 02:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article
,
wrote:

Should we should wait another a year
or so. Does anyone have any experience with introducing puppies into a
home with a baby?

Existing dogs with babies are generally great. A new puppy is a recipe
for a ton of work. I used to do in home daycare along with puppy
sitting, fostering and raising. Talk about exhausting!

Toilet training the child before having to housebreak a puppy is a
REALLY good thing. So is having the child old enough to take direction
well, not be knocked over easily, and not be seen as a chew toy.

An adult dog is a better choice than a puppy. I *do* understand the
desire for a puppy, but keep in mind that baby toys and puppy toys are
very similar and a lot of work needs to be done to differentiate.
Puppies are very oral and diapers are very appealing. Puppies use their
mouths a lot (especially a retriever puppy) and baby skin can be easily
damaged. You'll be in teaching mode 24/7 between baby and puppy.

Is a parent home during the day? If so, the day will NOT have much down
time. Are both parents working and the kid in daycare? How will there
be time for child AND puppy once home? Will there be daycare for the
puppy too?

There are a huge number of considerations. Think very seriously about
your ability to commit TIME, not just space, before embarking on adding
a puppy.

--
Janet Boss
Old May 8th 08, 12:26 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

wrote in message
My wife, 11-month old daughter, and I just moved from a condo to a
house with fenced yard. We delayed getting a puppy in the condo, since
we did not have a yard and thought it wouldn't be fair to the puppy to
have a readily accessable outdoor place for the dog to play.

One of our concerns is we don't know if we should buy a puppy while
our daughter is still so young. Should we should wait another a year
or so. Does anyone have any experience with introducing puppies into a
home with a baby?

We're looking at Labrador Retrievers, which are very friendly dogs. I
assume there shouldn't be too many problems, but would love to hear
others' experiences.

Our daughter was adopted from China at 11 months into a house of three dogs.
As the subordinate "pack member" we had to watch her VERY carefully and work
VERY diligently on teaching both to leave food dishes, toys alone while
helping the dogs to transition to the idea that she was a person and not a
dog.

Frankly, right now as new parents you need a puppy like you need an newborn.
Not that it can't be don't, but unless your wife is a stay at home mother
and a dog person, you are in for a ton of work. Maybe you are up for it,
but if it were me, I'd wait a few years until your child is toilet trained.
Then I would consider adopting a dog from the shelter. JMO.

Kind regards,

(the)duckster

Old May 8th 08, 12:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

(the)duckster wrote:

unless your wife is a stay at home mother
and a dog person, you are in for a ton of work.

Maybe Dave is a stay at home dad. It's been known to happen.

--
Shelly
Old May 8th 08, 12:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

"Shelly" wrote in message
(the)duckster wrote:

unless your wife is a stay at home mother
and a dog person, you are in for a ton of work.

Maybe Dave is a stay at home dad. It's been known to happen.

Or grandma. Cousin Igor, the next door neighbor. Doesn't matter as long as
someone is there to monitor both dog and child. In our case, having worked
at home for years, I was the stay at home by default.

I have fond memories of the original three pack, Teddy, Hadji, Jessica and
then little Guo all packed into my office curled up in a pile asleep on the
floor.

One of the side benefits about lying down with dogs is to this day the kid
doesn't suffer from allergy one. She's also a total animal lover which the
world certainly could use a few more of. ThreePackTakeTwo absolutely love
her.

Kind regards,
(the)duckster

Old May 8th 08, 12:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior

(the)duckster wrote:

Doesn't matter as long as
someone is there to monitor both dog and child.

It was your assumption about Dave's domestic arrangements that I was
questioning.

One of the side benefits about lying down with dogs is to this day the kid
doesn't suffer from allergy one.

I've heard that, but I'm not convinced it's necessarily true. I was
raised with both cats and dogs and developed significant
allergies--to pets as well as mold, dust, pollen, and some foods--as
an adult.

--
Shelly
Old May 8th 08, 01:05 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Janet Boss

In article ,
Shelly wrote:

One of the side benefits about lying down with dogs is to this day the kid
doesn't suffer from allergy one.

I've heard that, but I'm not convinced it's necessarily true. I was
raised with both cats and dogs and developed significant
allergies--to pets as well as mold, dust, pollen, and some foods--as
an adult.

Hmmmmm - I've been holding the belief that being deprived of pets as a
child is the reason for my horrendous allergy problems!

Not really. I think it is more a matter of genetics as well as where I
live. Oh well, that's what they made good medicine for! I've been on
Xolair for a few years now, and the difference is quite remarkable. It
is expensive (for my insurance company) as all get out, and is not the
most comfortable medicine to get (3 big needles ever 2 weeks), but well
worth it all for the health benefit!

--
Janet Boss
Old May 8th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
\(the\)duckster

"Shelly" wrote in message
(the)duckster wrote:

Doesn't matter as long as
someone is there to monitor both dog and child.

It was your assumption about Dave's domestic arrangements that I was
questioning.

Just a figure of speech. I'm personally very liberated about child care
arrangements as long as there is a responsible human in charge.

One of the side benefits about lying down with dogs is to this day the

kid
doesn't suffer from allergy one.

I've heard that, but I'm not convinced it's necessarily true. I was
raised with both cats and dogs and developed significant
allergies--to pets as well as mold, dust, pollen, and some foods--as
an adult.

You are correct. The research on kids raised with animals suffering less
from allergies is anecdotal as far as I know. However, at least in the
case of my daughter it seems to be true.

I make this assumption knowing many native born Chinese along with their
American born kids living in this area (who would prefer eating a dog to
owning one), who suffer horribly from allergens born by pet dander. Many
can't even walk through my house without their eyes swelling and starting to
sneeze. And I keep a pretty clean house.

Kind regards,
(the)duckster

--
Shelly

Old May 8th 08, 01:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Jan, Kozzie Girl and Sylvie

On May 7, 5:15*pm, wrote:
My wife, 11-month old daughter, and I just moved from a condo to a
house with fenced yard. We delayed getting a puppy in the condo, since
we did not have a yard and thought it wouldn't be fair to the puppy to
have a readily accessable outdoor place for the dog to play.

One of our concerns is we don't know if we should buy a puppy while
our daughter is still so young. Should we should wait another a year
or so. Does anyone have any experience with introducing puppies into a
home with a baby?

We're looking at Labrador Retrievers, which are very friendly dogs. I
assume there shouldn't be too many problems, but would love to hear
others' experiences.

Thanks,

- Dave

Hi Dave,

We have always had a dog (s) in the house, even when we had our son.
If you love dogs anything can be done. I think puppies are more work
than a baby and puppies grow up faster than babies. If you are going
to get a puppy, this is the right time of year.

You will have to take the pup out during the night for awhile till the
pup can make it through the night. You may have just gotten over or
soon, the getting up with your daughter every night. There may be
crying and howling at night till your new pup settles in. Will you or
your wife get up during the night with the puppy? Figure that out
before you bring your puppy home.

Puppies love toys, be careful with some of the toys your daughter
has. Some stuffed animals have wire in them and the puppies could
swallow it. As your puppy grows they are nippy (mouthing) and do
jump on people and kids. Your daughter may not like that at first
most kids don't. I can go on forever with puppy antics. They are a
lot of work.

But, I'll never forget walking in to my son's room, he was maybe 6 or
7, and had gotten in trouble for so stupid thing. There he and his
dog (Cupcake his Golden Retriever) sat. Our son's arm around his dog
having that heart to heart talk. They were best friends, where ever
one when the other was there. I truly believe they were kinder
souls. Cupcake live for 15 years. Our son will never forget his time
with his dog.

Puppies are so much fun but lots of work, have open eyes going into
your decision. If I had to do it all over again, I would. If you
decide to get your new puppy it will be lots of work, but can be so
rewarding. The other responses here are right on too. When ever and
if you get a puppy right now, good luck in your family decision.

Good luck,

Jan
Specializing in Portraits of Seniors, Babies, and Pets!
http://www.thefineartcafe.com

my 5 month puppy has little bumps angeldove44 Dog health 1 August 14th 07 07:46 PM
8 month puppy Scoresby Dog behavior 3 March 11th 07 03:53 PM
10 Month old Doberman mix Liver problems [email protected] Dog health 7 December 31st 05 12:14 AM
8 month old new puppy housebraking Monkeyman Dog behavior 1 December 1st 04 07:36 PM
5 month Akita Puppy Travis Dog breeds 1 November 8th 04 06:46 PM