Not a Berner cross

Old April 2nd 05, 03:38 AM
Rocky

Default Not a Berner cross

My latest weekend guest signed in as a Berner cross. She's a
big girl, but I don't see Berner:
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Shylah01.jpg
http://www.rocky-dog.com/Daycare/Shylah02.jpg

She roughly measures in at 26", is 2.5 years old, is playful
outside, and very relaxed inside. I see predominately a Golden
Retriever and no Bernese Mountain Dog.

Any ideas?

Old April 2nd 05, 03:51 AM

On 2 Apr 2005 02:38:32 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Any ideas?

Golden x Collie?

http://home.bluemarble.net/~scouvrette || http://cat-sidh.blogspot.com

If I could say it in words there would be no reason to paint.
-- Edward Hopper

Old April 2nd 05, 03:53 AM
Tiger Lily

yeah...... that nose is narrow like a collie's nose is

but Golden is the dog...... NOT a Berner

Old April 2nd 05, 04:46 AM
Rocky

shelly said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Any ideas?

Golden x Collie?

The nose speaks Collie, and the size fits (if Mom and Dad were
both biggie-sized).

Old April 2nd 05, 07:04 AM
Liisa Sarakontu

shelly wrote in
:

Golden x Collie?

Yes, a very possible cross. Color fits, coat type fits and body and head
shape fit. I still wouldn't rule a Berner as a totally impossible parent -
Berner x Collie cross might give this kind of dog too although I would
expect to see more white on such a cross.

Liisa
Old April 2nd 05, 04:23 PM
Rocky

Liisa Sarakontu said in rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Golden x Collie?

Yes, a very possible cross. Color fits, coat type fits and
body and head shape fit. I still wouldn't rule a Berner as
a totally impossible parent - Berner x Collie cross might
give this kind of dog too although I would expect to see
more white on such a cross.

She's tall, but not very bulky. All of the Berners I know are
"thick" dogs, but I suppose that her slight (if such a large dog
can be called "slight") build may be from the Collie side.

Temperament-wise, I see more Berner in her than Golden
Retriever.

When she gets picked up tomorrow, I'll ask if they know the
cross for sure or if it was a guess.

Old April 2nd 05, 05:49 PM
Chris Jung

"shelly" wrote in message
On 2 Apr 2005 02:38:32 GMT, Rocky wrote:

Any ideas?

Golden x Collie?

Yea, I think I can see that. This dog is a sable (dark tipped hairs on it's
ears and tail) and I can see a faint widow's peak, which is common on sable
collies. And a Golden x Collie could have a minimal amount of white like
this dog. I would think a Berner x Collie would have a lot more white since,
on the whole, both breeds sport a lot of chrome.

I would also think a Berner x sable Collie would result in a dark (AKA
Mahogany) sable since it would be tri-factored (would have to have one tri
gene from a Berner parent). Pure-for-sables can be very light like this dog
but tri-factored sables often have a dark distinct widow's peak, dark ears
and a dark overlay on it's back, rump and down it's tail.

Chris and her snoozing smoothies,
Pablo and Lucy

Old April 2nd 05, 07:48 PM
Liisa Sarakontu

"Chris Jung" wrote in
:

I would also think a Berner x sable Collie would result in a dark (AKA
Mahogany) sable since it would be tri-factored

Heterozygous sables can have even much less black than the dog here. It is
true that sable Collies on average have more than this one when their
genotype is Ayat, but this dog is a cross. No matter if the other parent
comes from a breed with no sables, it still has genes which decide how much
black shading there is in a sable coat. This dog might have inherited lots
of "clear sable, no black" modifiers from the non-Collie parent.

Liisa
Old April 5th 05, 11:23 PM
Janet B

On 2 Apr 2005 02:38:32 GMT, Rocky wrote:

She roughly measures in at 26", is 2.5 years old, is playful
outside, and very relaxed inside. I see predominately a Golden
Retriever and no Bernese Mountain Dog.

Any ideas?

ooh - she's pretty. Could be a little chow in there (have seen very
similar chow/golden mixes), could be a little gsd?

--
Janet B
www.bestfriendsdogobedience.com