Help!

Old April 6th 05, 09:01 AM
Corinne

Default Help!

I have been thinking about getting a puppy for well over a year now.

I am considering a Yorkie, and was wondering if anyone in this group has
one, or knows someone who has one, and would you recommend one?

Thanks in advance.

Corinne
Old April 6th 05, 11:14 AM
Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:01:34 GMT, Corinne wrote:

I have been thinking about getting a puppy for well over a year now.

I am considering a Yorkie, and was wondering if anyone in this group has
one, or knows someone who has one, and would you recommend one?

Do a net search for a Yorkie rescue group near you, or visit
Petfinder.com. However, these are not likely sources for Yorkie puppies.
You'll need to locate a breeder. Do you homework regarding Yorkies, and
chose the breeder very carefully.

Practice safe eating - always use condiments.
Old April 7th 05, 09:49 AM
Corinne

Thank you so much Debbie.

This was very helpful, but for some reason I could not open the urls.

My vet has recommended a breedr, and I spent 1/2 hour with her on the
phone last week. She invited me out to take a look see, so I will take
her up on that.

The lady at the vet's office said so far, they have had healthy dogs
come from this breeder.

A big decision for sure.

Corinne

From: (Corinne)
I am considering a Yorkie,

Yorkies are great little dogs. You won't find many breeders doing
health testing. Take your time, and research breeders. Beware of
yorkies with cottony coats, they're very difficult to maintain. If you
get to the point of looking at pups, try to select one with a tiny spot
of white on the chest, as these will usually have proper coat texture.
If the pup looks a little fuzzier than the others, I wouldn't take it.

You'll probably have some dental concerns irregardless of what you feed,
their mouths are generally crammed with teeth, and liver shunts and
slipping patellas are a problem in the breed. Some can be barkers,
though I haven't had that problem with my own personal dogs. They're
still terriers, in fact, the dog in the second link below can make JRT's
and Border Terriers look like wimpy rookies at earthdog work. When she
was younger I used to enjoy taking her to earthdog practices, with
ribbons in her hair, freshly bathed and brushed, using a braided satin
ribbon leash. People only laughed at her once!

This dog had a cottony coat:
http://community.webtv.net/staffymom/Tina

This dog has proper coat textu
http://community.webtv.net/staffymom/Isis