Ivermectin (1%) ok for preventative heartworm treatment for dogs?

Old January 5th 05, 07:02 AM
HDTV-slingr

Default Ivermectin (1%) ok for preventative heartworm treatment for dogs?

I know the Ivermectin/heartworm thing is all over the Internet but I
have a specific question that came up due to one forum resonse I found
that said something to the effect of "don't give the 1%
over-the-counter solution for cattle and swine to your dog or it will
kill the animal" and I had to have some reassurance before doing this.

I bought some generic ivermectin (not the Ivomec brand) from an online
vendor and wanted to be sure before I administer a .3 cc monthly oral
dose to my 3 dogs (2 standard poodles and a shepard/chow mix) to save
$$$ while keeping my doggies healthy. This is the particular product
I purchased, btw:

http://www1.revivalanimal.com/index....2&Saved_ID=130

Last question I had, is it effective if I bury the ivermectin solution
within peanut butter, cheese, bread, or something like that to mask
the bad taste of the medicine, thus making it easier to sneak this
stuff to the dogs? It seems it would be but ya' never know 'til ya'
ask :-)

TIA -

Old January 5th 05, 12:54 PM
buglady

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
My vet always tests for heartworms before giving us the "all
clear" signal to use Ivermectin.
I guess, therefore, that Ivermectin should not be used
on a dog with heartworms.
Apparently the agent that protects is not the same agent
that destroys adult heartworms.

............ivermectin does have some effect on adult heartworms Marshall.
You can give it to dogs with heartworms, but if you have a heavy
microfilarial burden it can cause problems from quick die off.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old January 5th 05, 01:34 PM
Tee

"buglady" wrote in message
nk.net...

...........ivermectin does have some effect on adult heartworms Marshall.
You can give it to dogs with heartworms, but if you have a heavy
microfilarial burden it can cause problems from quick die off.

Yup. Went the Heartgard treatment route for Fancy because she was too
malnourished for Immiticide and she was only a stage 1. 12-18 months later
and she was returning negative hw tests.

--
Tara

Old January 6th 05, 04:33 AM
Marshall Dermer

In article et "buglady" writes:

"Marshall Dermer" wrote in message
My vet always tests for heartworms before giving us the "all
clear" signal to use Ivermectin.
I guess, therefore, that Ivermectin should not be used
on a dog with heartworms.
Apparently the agent that protects is not the same agent
that destroys adult heartworms.

...........ivermectin does have some effect on adult heartworms Marshall.
You can give it to dogs with heartworms, but if you have a heavy
microfilarial burden it can cause problems from quick die off.

buglady
take out the dog before replying

As usual thanks! --Marshall

Old January 10th 05, 07:09 AM
Dog Dude

"HDTV-slingr" wrote in message
[...]

The 0.3 cc (one cc equals almost exactly one mL) of 1% ivermectin you
are planning to administer would be enough for an 1100 (eleven hundred)
pound dog, so try to reduce the dosage.

I have used breaded chicken patties, torn biscuits, broken dog biscuits, and
torn hamburger buns to provide an absorbent surface for the ivermectin.
My dogs have always tested heartworm-free in the seven years I have been
using 1% ivermectin for cattle & swine.

I have posted the info below a few times to this newsgroup.

Joe

This addresses the issue of correct monthly dosage of
Ivomec (1% ivermectin) solution for PREVENTION of
heartworms in dogs. It is not about the much higher
dosages of ivermectin required to treat canine intestinal
worms or external parasites.

First, some abbreviations used in this post, posts by
others, and on websites containing heartworm and ivermectin
information:
one gram = one thousand milligrams = 1,000 mg
one gram = one million micrograms = 1,000,000 mcg = 1,000,000 ug
one thousand grams = one kilogram = 1 kg = 2.20462 pounds
one liter = one thousand milliters = 1000 mL
one milliter = 1 mL = almost exactly 1 cc (cubic centimeter)

From several websites, including ones that have Freedom
Of Information copies of the original ivermectin clinical
trials, the recommended dosage rate of ivermectin for
PREVENTION of heartworms in dogs is 6mcg/kg.

That's SIX micrograms of ivermectin per kilogram of dog.

The datasheet that came with the bottle of 1% (one percent)
sterile solution of Ivomec bought from a local feed store
indicates that if given to CATTLE at a rate of 1mL/110lb
(one milliliter of solution per one hundred ten pounds of
animal), that the CATTLE would receive a dosage rate of
200mcg/kg.

That's TWO HUNDRED micrograms of ivermectin per kilogram
of cow, bull, calf, etc., or 33.333 times the dosage rate
appropriate for dogs.

Therefore, to calculate the amount of 1% (one percent)
solution to give to my dogs I had to reduce the 1mL/110lb of
cattle down to 0.030mL/110lb (three hundredths of one
milliliter of Ivomec [1% ivermectin] solution per one
hundred ten pounds) of dog.

So "Lady", who weighs about 55 (fifty-five) pounds, needs
0.015mL (one and one-half hundredths of a milliliter) of
1% Ivomec solution each month.

The same answer to the dosage question can be achieved another
way. The Ivomec (1% ivermectin solution) label states in two
places that each mL of Ivomec contains 10 mg of ivermectin.
10 mg (milligrams) equals 10,000 mcg or ug (micrograms). The
correct dosage is only SIX mcg per kg (kilogram) of dog.
That's six mcg per 2.20462 pounds of dog. So the 55 pound
"Lady" mentioned above would need (6/10,000) X (55/2.20462) mL
or 0.015 mL of the 1% variety of Ivomec each month.

The pharmacy in the local Wal-Mart Supercenter sells tiny
disposable applicators (like syringes without needles) that
hold only one milliliter of solution, with a graduation for
each hundredth of a milliliter (Update: the last batch I
bought of this same brand of applicator has half as many
graduations, one for each two hundredths of a milliliter).
Removing one of these plastic applicators and the 1% Ivomec
solution from my refrigerator (where I keep both stored), I
found during the first test that 23 actual free-fall drops (as
opposed to the unreliable "dps" graduation scale included on
some of the aforementioned applicators) equaled 0.61mL of
solution, and during the second test that 33 free-fall drops
equaled 0.91mL of solution. Using the total of 56 free-fall
drops being equal to 1.52mL, each one of those drops of 1%
Ivomec calculated to be 0.0271428mL . Comparing this amount
to the desired dosage of 0.0300000mL of 1% Ivomec solution
per 110 pounds of dog (see paragraph seven, above), each one
of those particular drops was therefore the correct amount to
give to a dog weighing 99.5 pounds.

Keep in mind that free-fall drops can be different sizes.
Volume contained in each drop of 1% Ivomec is affected by
temperature of the solution, temperature of the applicator,
applicator material (plastic versus glass), how clean or dirty
the applicator is, and the size and shape of that portion of
the applicator which is close to the opening. For that reason
it is a good idea to do your own tests to determine the drops
per mL relationship, and to IGNORE any graduated scale (on
some applicators) which claims to represent "drops" instead of
hundredths or fiftieths of a mL.

It is easier for me to apply a single drop of 1% Ivomec
solution to an absorbent dog treat than to the back of a dog's
tongue. This also keeps the applicator clean enough to store in
a baggie in the refrigerator, instead of throwing it away. I
refrigerate the 50mL bottle of Ivomec also. I put the drug on
breaded chicken patties after they have cooled to room
temperature, to avoid any possible drug breakdown due to heat.

Note that a single drop of 1% Ivomec solution is almost a
2 to 1 overdose for "Lady", and more than a 2 to 1 overdose
for my several 45-pound dogs. In clinical tests even Collies
had to have an overdose of at least 15 to 1 before they showed
any ill effects. However, it would be reasonable to assume that
there are some dogs who are even more sensitive to ivermectin
than any of the relative few who were in the clinical trials.

A Heartgard Chewable for dogs 51 to 100 pounds delivers
272 mcg of ivermectin according to the label. One kilogram
equals 2.20462 pounds. Considering the recommended dosage
rate of 6 mcg per kilogram of dog, this means the Chewable
is formulated for 100 pound dogs, with 51 to 99 pound dogs
receiving a harmless overdose. I keep this in mind when
dealing with the difficulty of precise measurement of
small amounts of ivermectin solution.

Old January 11th 05, 02:09 AM
HDTV-slingr

On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 06:09:11 GMT, "Dog Dude"
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Joe! I didn't realize this would be an OD. Judging from
Internet postings, many people are indeed OD'ing their doggies on that
1% ivermectin stuff.

Old January 11th 05, 03:35 AM
Dog Dude

Thanks, Joe! I didn't realize this would be an OD. Judging from
Internet postings, many people are indeed OD'ing their doggies on that
1% ivermectin stuff.

You're welcome.

I forgot to mention a few things. The safe (when dosed within reason)
product
from Merial Limited is labeled "Ivomec (ivermectin) injection for Cattle and
Swine--1% Sterile Solution". It is their product number 41380, as labeled on
the outside of the box. Merial also makes another product called Ivomec
PLUS,
which contains extra drugs that will KILL dogs, I have been told.

You bought generic 1% ivermectin. I do not know if it comes with/without the
extra drugs that are in the dangerous Ivomec PLUS product. You could
compare the drugs in the ordinary Ivomec product (41380) with those
contained
in the Ivomec PLUS product to determine which ones to avoid when buying a
generic substitute for Ivomec.

Joe

Old January 14th 05, 06:32 PM
Brigitte

"Dog Dude" wrote in message
[...]

From several websites, including ones that have Freedom
[...]

Thank you very much for this informative post.

Brigitte