English Bulldog

Old November 5th 05, 09:52 PM
WhansaMi

Default English Bulldog

My husband and I are considering adding an English Bulldog to the clan (we
already have two CKCS, and two cats). I'm wondering if anyone in the group
has experience with the breed, as I'd like to get some additional
information. thanks!

Sheila

Old November 5th 05, 10:11 PM
culprit

"WhansaMi" wrote in message
My husband and I are considering adding an English Bulldog to the clan (we
already have two CKCS, and two cats). I'm wondering if anyone in the
group
has experience with the breed, as I'd like to get some additional
information. thanks!

Sheila

only second hand experience from friends.

as you know with CKCS, expect to pay a LOT of $ for a well bred, healthy
dogs. they can have some very serious health problems.
go to dog shows, meet breeders of winners, and ask them about good, ethical
breeders.
this is NOT a dog you want to get from a puppy mill, or even from rescue (i
can't believe i said that), unless from a breeder, or unless you want to
deal with a lot of expensive health problems down the line.
these dogs are not good in hot climates.
keep them exercised and don't overfeed, they get fat way too easily.

on the great side, they're incredibly sweet, very easy going, great with
kids and usually other animals. high threshold for pain makes them pretty
much immune to cat injuries. :-) i love the breed, but hey, don't i say
that about every breed?
they're not going to be nearly as energetic as your CKCS as adults, but as
pups, they're just great and will romp around everywhere!

with your clan, you might consider a frenchie, the attitude and energy level
might match better. plus, how cute!

-kelly

Old November 5th 05, 10:26 PM
WhansaMi

"culprit" wrote in message

"WhansaMi" wrote in message
My husband and I are considering adding an English Bulldog to the clan

(we
already have two CKCS, and two cats). I'm wondering if anyone in the
group
has experience with the breed, as I'd like to get some additional
information. thanks!

Sheila

only second hand experience from friends.

as you know with CKCS, expect to pay a LOT of $ for a well bred, healthy
dogs. they can have some very serious health problems.

Yeah, I know. I don't know why we keep find ourselves attracted to those
expensive breeds!

OTOH, our mixed breed rescue died in August, and in the last years cost
about 4K in vet bills... so you never know. You just deal with what you
have to deal with.

go to dog shows, meet breeders of winners, and ask them about good,

ethical
breeders.
this is NOT a dog you want to get from a puppy mill, or even from rescue

(i
can't believe i said that), unless from a breeder, or unless you want to
deal with a lot of expensive health problems down the line.
these dogs are not good in hot climates.

Our Cavs are weinies about extreme weather too -- hot or cold, or rain, for
that matter of fact, so that's not really a problem!

keep them exercised and don't overfeed, they get fat way too easily.

But... I have to say, part of the thing I love about them is their waddle!
They make me laugh every time I see one!

on the great side, they're incredibly sweet, very easy going, great with
kids and usually other animals. high threshold for pain makes them pretty
much immune to cat injuries. :-) i love the breed, but hey, don't i say
that about every breed?

Yeah, as DH said to me last night, "They are kind of like Cavs, only so ugly
they are cute!" We like the people-oriented, sweet-temperament breeds.

they're not going to be nearly as energetic as your CKCS as adults, but as
pups, they're just great and will romp around everywhere!

Well, our Cavs are pretty mellow. The tri has always been so. Our Blenheim
would love to be more active, but has two category 4 luxating patellas that
prevent her from doing so.

with your clan, you might consider a frenchie, the attitude and energy

level
might match better. plus, how cute!

-kelly

I love the Frenchies (gotta love those ears!) but DH is more partial to the
English.

Sheila

Old November 5th 05, 10:36 PM
WhansaMi

"WhansaMi" wrote in message

"culprit" wrote in message

"WhansaMi" wrote in message
[...]

Okay... going off on a tangent, but who in their right mind would think this
is an English Bulldog mix???

http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=5227869

Sheila

Old November 22nd 05, 11:07 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

One last thing, I raised purebred dogs for 40 years and spent at least
30 years as a ring steward in at least 40 AKC conformation dog shows, so
I do know that there are some breeds that are referred to improperly,
this is one of them. They are just Bulldogs, not English Bulldogs

That depends on which breed organization they're registered with,
actually - the AKC is far from being the be-all and end-all of
"official" breed names. The correct name with the UKC - since 1935 -
is indeed English Bulldog.

http://www.ukcdogs.com/breeds/compan...ldog.std.shtml

And I'll have to check my reference books at home to be sure, but I
seem to reacll that at one time the "correct" AKC name was also
"English Bulldog".