"Home alone"--how to handle

Old January 1st 07, 02:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

Default "Home alone"--how to handle

I went to NYC in October and had to leave my little dog
"home alone" for the first time. Usually, he travels with
me--by car--but this time I was flying. First time for
him not to be either with me or at home with my ex in six years.
(I live in Texas and he has been to Chicago many times,
New Mexico every summer, but NYC is just too far
to drive if you only have a week.)

At first I was going to take him to the local "country club"
for dogs, where he would be in a mini-suite for not that
much more than what they call the "bunkhouse"--a regular
kennel situtation. About $35 a day, complete with tv
(see below).

This little guy is accustomed to staying with me in
nice hotels when we are not at home.

Well, I decided to leave him at home and I had
two friends walk him and visit twice a day. It
worked great. However, I was careful to leave
a few lights on and also the radio.

Now I am arguing with one of the friends as
she is gone and I am going over there to
walk her dog and spend a little time twice
a day. I say, leave some lights on and
also have the television on. Or at least
leave some lights on. It's one thing to
sleep in the dark with your dog; it's
another to leave your pet in the dark
while no one is there. And in the winter
months, we have darkness twelve
hours a day!

She's aggravated with me for leaving
lights on.

What do you think?

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old January 1st 07, 08:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

On Mon, 01 Jan 2007 01:44:00 GMT, "A. Brain"
wrote:

Now I am arguing with one of the friends as
she is gone and I am going over there to
walk her dog and spend a little time twice
a day. I say, leave some lights on and
also have the television on. Or at least
leave some lights on. It's one thing to
sleep in the dark with your dog; it's
another to leave your pet in the dark
while no one is there. And in the winter
months, we have darkness twelve
hours a day!

She's aggravated with me for leaving
lights on.

I don't know whether the dogs care or not. It doesn't seem to bother
mine whether the lights are on or not when I am here. When I have
left them home with petsitter services much like your arrangements
with your friends, I haven't worried about leaving lights on and they
didn't seem to be unduly upset by it, but they don't speak English, so
I can't be absolutely positive.

Why don't you just offer to pay that portion of her electric bill and
chalk it up to helping out the dog if you feel it makes a difference
but she doesn't?

--
Paula
"Anyway, other people are weird, but sometimes they have candy,
Old January 1st 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Spot

Letting a light on will not run up the light bill it may cost 2 or 3 cents.
I always let a light on if I'm going to be away and it will get dark before
I get home. It's as much for the dogs as it is to make it look like someone
is at the house.

Celeste

Old January 1st 07, 07:48 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

"Paula" wrote in message

I don't know whether the dogs care or not. It doesn't seem to bother
mine whether the lights are on or not when I am here. When I have
left them home with petsitter services much like your arrangements
with your friends, I haven't worried about leaving lights on and they
didn't seem to be unduly upset by it, but they don't speak English, so
I can't be absolutely positive.

Why don't you just offer to pay that portion of her electric bill and
chalk it up to helping out the dog if you feel it makes a difference
but she doesn't?

Well, there is no way that you could determine what part of her
electric bill is due to having one or two lights on. Plus, what about
the dog's interest?

This particular dog is very co-dependent and while she does
not suffer from "separation anxiety" such that she tears things
up, I think having the tv on would be good for her.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.

Old January 1st 07, 09:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"A. Brain" wrote in message
"Paula" wrote in message

[...]

An incandescent 75 watt lamp uses less than 1 kW-H of electricity for 12
hours, and costs about 10 cents. If you have electric heat, the lamp is
just another heater, so there is no net cost. If the lamp is near a
thermostat, it shuts off the heat sooner and actually saves a lot of heat
expense (unless you change the setting). If you use fluorescent bulbs as I
do, a 75 watt equivalent uses only about 20 watts of power, so you can
leave it on for about 5 cents per day.

I think it is a good idea to leave a small light on in several areas. My
dog Muttley seems to just sleep in the bedroom while I'm gone, and the
lights I leave on are elsewhere. I don't think leaving the TV on is a good
idea. TVs use a lot more power than a light bulb, and the sound masks other
noises that might be good for the dog to hear (such as someone trying to
break in). Conversely, if there are lots of noises that cause your dog to
bark or whine, maybe some background noise is a "good thing". However, I
would suggest a 2 watt radio rather than a 200 watt TV.

Paul

Old January 1st 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paula

"A. Brain" wrote in news:THcmh.621654$QZ1.475818
@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Why don't you just offer to pay that portion of her electric bill and
chalk it up to helping out the dog if you feel it makes a difference
but she doesn't?

Well, there is no way that you could determine what part of her
electric bill is due to having one or two lights on. Plus, what about
the dog's interest?

This particular dog is very co-dependent and while she does
not suffer from "separation anxiety" such that she tears things
up, I think having the tv on would be good for her.

The dog's interest is exactly why I'd pay the whole bill for the month if
I really thought the dog needed it but the friend didn't want to pay.
But YMMV.

If she has that big of a problem being alone, why not have the dog come
to your house to stay or stay at her house while your friend is gone
instead of just going over there to check in with her a couple of times a
day?

Paula
Old January 2nd 07, 04:15 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"A. Brain" wrote in message:

This particular dog is very co-dependent and while she does
not suffer from "separation anxiety" such that she tears things
up, I think having the tv on would be good for her.

This is really dog dependent. I *have* a dog with Separation Anxiety, and
she doesn't care about the TV, one way or the other. It would definitely
have done nothing to help her with her anxiety.

Suja

Old January 2nd 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
A. Brain

"Paula" wrote in message
9.11...

If she has that big of a problem being alone, why not have the dog
come
to your house to stay or stay at her house while your friend is gone
instead of just going over there to check in with her a couple of
times a
day?

Her dog does not play well with others, or I'd have her here
with my little one or take mine over there.

--
A. Brain

Remove NOSPAM for email.