sweet potato chews

Old May 8th 07, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

Default sweet potato chews

Has anyone tried them with their dogs? I just got a bag
(recommendation of dexter's dermatologist) and they LOVED them! they
are expensive though. I was able to eat my fast food meal with no
begging.. they were too busy chewing on the new treat. I'm going to
see if a coworker can try to make them in his dehydrator. They are a
grated slice of a sweet potato and the finished chew is about 1/4 in
thick. The brand that I got was Dr. Chew. It is a decent alternative
for a allergy dog that can't chew on rawhide and can't see to find
nylabones.

Old May 10th 07, 02:47 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Lynne" wrote in message:

Let us know how your dehydrator experience goes. I'll try it if you are
successful.

Only tangentially relevant, but I made sweet potato and fish treats (canned
mackerel/salmon + canned sweet potato) over the winter, and the dogs LOVED
it. Even tried it with just plain canned pumpkin or sweet potato, and they
still loved it. I wonder if you can bake the sweet potato at a really low
heat for a really long time and get the same effect.

Suja

Old May 10th 07, 05:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
buglady

"Suja" wrote in message
I wonder if you can bake the sweet potato at a really low
heat for a really long time and get the same effect.

......you could probably put slices in the freezer and make them *freeze
dried!*

buglady
take out the dog before replying

Old May 10th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Judy

"Rocky" wrote in message
I've done that with yams on the BBQ with indirect heating set as
low as it can go. Works well with sliced beef heart, too.
Garlic powder is not optional.

I had a friend send me a recipe for liver treats. It starts out by saying
to blenderize the raw liver and then to add garlic "to taste".

I told her she must love her dogs a whole lot more than I loved mine. There
is no way on God's green earth that I'm "tasting" raw liver to see if the
garlic level is correct.

Judy

Old May 10th 07, 10:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"Judy" wrote in message:

I told her she must love her dogs a whole lot more than I loved mine.

There
is no way on God's green earth that I'm "tasting" raw liver to see if the
garlic level is correct.

They must've meant 'To Smell' instead. Come to think of it, I doubt there
is enough garlic in the world to cover the stench caused by cooking liver
cookies. BLECH!

Suja

Old May 10th 07, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

Suja wrote:
"Judy" wrote in message:

I told her she must love her dogs a whole lot more than I loved mine.

There

is no way on God's green earth that I'm "tasting" raw liver to see if the
garlic level is correct.

They must've meant 'To Smell' instead. Come to think of it, I doubt there
is enough garlic in the world to cover the stench caused by cooking liver
cookies. BLECH!

I've posted this recipe before. My daughter, aged 16 and totally
grossed out by the idea of eating liver, actually steals bites of this
stuff when it comes out of the oven.

http://webpages.charter.net/dhfm/hom...vertreats.html

Old May 11th 07, 02:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
bethgsd

"buglady" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Suja" wrote in message
I wonder if you can bake the sweet potato at a really low
heat for a really long time and get the same effect.

.....you could probably put slices in the freezer and make them *freeze
dried!*

buglady
take out the dog before replying

My guys love sweet potatoes. I personally think they are Satan's own root
veggie. You two have given me two good ideas, with the dehydrator for a
third, for some good snacks for these boys.

Thanks!

Beth

Old May 11th 07, 02:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Shelly

bethgsd wrote:

My guys love sweet potatoes. I personally think they are Satan's own root
veggie.

You spelled beets wrong. Just sayin'...

You two have given me two good ideas, with the dehydrator for a
third, for some good snacks for these boys.

If you have a mandolin, they (the sweet potatoes, not your boys!)
are easy peasy to slice and plop onto food dehydrator trays.

--
Shelly
Old May 11th 07, 04:15 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Suja

"bethgsd" wrote in message:

My guys love sweet potatoes. I personally think they are Satan's own root
veggie.

That's 'cause you haven't had Marcy's Sweet Potato Casserole. What I
learned from it is that if you throw enough butter and rum at anything, it
automagically becomes edible.

Suja

lab chews through the wall E Sears Dog behavior 1 September 20th 05 02:37 AM
Dog Chews Everything DaveR Dogs - general 7 July 31st 05 09:48 PM
Tripe chews Gwen Watson Dog behavior 0 March 3rd 04 06:05 PM
Alternative chews? Mick Dogs - general 1 December 11th 03 06:21 AM