BSL - 75 Breeds Listed (Even Goldens!)

Old June 5th 07, 06:29 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

Default BSL - 75 Breeds Listed (Even Goldens!)

You may have seen this before, but I thought it would be good to post it
here. I was surprised to see some of the breeds, such as Golden Retriever,
Lab, and Airedale. So, from now on, Muttley is just a Mutt!

Paul and MUTTley

May 22, 2007

List Of 75 Banned Or Restricted Breeds - Is Your Dog On The List?
The Responsible Dog Owners Of The Western States (RDOWS) has just updated
the list of breeds that have been banned or restricted in the U.S..

All you dog lovers out there may just be in for a shock. BSL - or
breed-specific legislation and breed discriminstion- isn't just for
pitbulls or Rottweilers anymore

The RDOWS has tracked a list of 75 breeds of dogs that have been banned or
restricted - yep - that's Seventy-five. That's 75!

Just who or what is behind this breed ban frenzy?

Is your dog on the list of banned or restricted breeds?

Here's the deal...............

Media Frenzy Equals Breed Bans

And just who is pouring gasoline onto the fire, whipping up the flams of
pit bull hysteria? Who is driving the onslaught of anti-dog legislation?

Your local paper, TV or radio station - with innacurate reports than use
inflammatory language ("vicious" Rottweiler, "marauding" pitbulls, etc.)
and show UNRELATED footage of dogfights supplied by the Humane Society of
the United States.

Across the country - and indeed around the world - cities, counties and
local town councils are busy banning or restricting breeds instead of
punishing irresponsible behavior.

Here's what is happening:

Breed bans - an outright ban on owning a specific breed of dog
Breed-specific sterilization - owners are forced to spay or neuter animal
Breed-specific
Breed-specific insurance requirements - forces owners to obtain the
unobtainable "vicious" breed insurance - in reality this forces owners to
surrender dogs or move
Weight or size restrictions - banning dogs over an arbitrarily determined
weight or size - as in Fairfield, Iowa where all dogs over 100 lbs are
banned (St. Bernard, Irish Wolfhound, Great Dane, etc.)
BTW - your insurance company is happily waiting in the background too -
waiting to exclude coverage of your dog, waiting to drop your policy, or
waiting to outrageously raise your rates.

So - without further ado, courtesy of the RDOWS, here is the list of 75 -
count 'em - SEVENTY FIVE - banned or restricted breeds

List of 75 Banned or Restricted Dogs

1. AIREDALE TERRIER
2. AKBASH
3. AKITA
4. ALAPAHA BLUE BLOOD BULLDOG
5. ALASKAN MALAMUTE
6. ALSATIAN SHEPHERD
7. AMERICAN BULLDOG
8. AMERICAN HUSKY
9. AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER
10. AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER
11. AMERICAN WOLFDOG
12. ANATOLIAN SHEPHERD
13. ARIKARA DOG
14. AUSTRALIAN CATTLE DOG
15. AUSTRALIAN SHEPHERD
16. BELGIAN MALINOIS
17. BELGIAN SHEEPDOG
18. BELGIAN TURVUREN
19. BLUE HEELER
20. BOERBUL
21. BORZOI
22. BOSTON TERRIER
23. BOUVIER DES FLANDRES
24. BOXER
25. BULLDOG
26. BULL TERRIER
27. BULL MASTIFF
28. CANE CORSO
29. CATAHOULA LEOPARD DOG
30. CAUCASIAN SHEPHERD
31. CHINESE SHAR PEI
32. CHOW-CHOW
33. COLORADO DOG
34. DOBERMAN PINSCHER
35. DOGO DE ARGENTINO
36. DOGUE DE BORDEAUX
37. ENGLISH MASTIFFS
38. ENGLISH SPRINGER SPANIEL
39. ESKIMO DOG
40. ESTRELA MOUNTAIN DOG
41. FILA BRASILIERO
42. FOX TERRIER
43. FRENCH BULLDOG
44. GERMAN SHEPHERD DOG
45. GOLDEN RETRIEVER
46. GREENLAND HUSKY
47. GREAT DANE
48. GREAT PYRANEES
49. ITALIAN MASTIFF
50. KANGAL DOG
51. KEESHOND
52. KOMONDOR
53. KOTEZEBUE HUSKY
54. KUVAZ
55. LABRADOR RETRIEVER
56. LEONBERGER
57. MASTIFF
58. NEOPOLITAN MASTIFF
59. NEWFOUNDLAND
60. OTTERHOUND
61. PRESA DE CANARIO
62. PRESA DE MALLORQUIN
63. PUG
64. ROTTWEILER
65. SAARLOOS WOLFHOND
66. SAINT BERNARD
67. SAMOYED
68. SCOTTISH DEERHOUND
69. SIBERIAN HUSKY
70. SPANISH MASTIFF
71. STAFFORDSHIRE BULL TERRIER
72. TIMBER SHEPHERD
73. TOSA INU
74. TUNDRA SHEPHERD
75. WOLF SPITZ

How's that for scary?

Old June 5th 07, 08:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
So, from now on, Muttley is just a Mutt!

I guess that means you are finished with dreaming up big, powerful,
rare breeds he might be? Anyway, I can't help but think that
misrepresenting your dog's breed(s) is cowardly.

--
Shelly
Old June 5th 07, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Suja

"Shelly" wrote in message:

Anyway, I can't help but think that
misrepresenting your dog's breed(s) is cowardly.

I don't know about that. Around here, veterinary offices often will turn
Pit mixes into something else. Isabelle is a Shepherd mix, for example -
the owner specifically tried to correct it, and was told that they'd prefer
if she was listed as another breed that might be in her, in case of BSL that
requires vets to turn over their records for the purpose of banning dogs of
a certain breed in the jurisdiction.

Suja

Old June 6th 07, 01:05 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007 18:58:15 -0400, "Suja" wrote:

I don't know about that. Around here, veterinary offices often will turn
Pit mixes into something else.

That's not exactly the same thing as playing coy with your *own* dog's
breed(s).

Isabelle is a Shepherd mix, for example -
the owner specifically tried to correct it, and was told that they'd prefer
if she was listed as another breed that might be in her, in case of BSL that
requires vets to turn over their records for the purpose of banning dogs of
a certain breed in the jurisdiction.

Obviously, folks will do whatever they have to to keep their dogs
safe. It seems to me, though, that in terms of the big picture, lying
about a dog's breed hurts more than it helps.

Then there's the question of how much it *would* help, if the breed in
question were banned. Most of the BSL I've seen has been along the
lines of "If the dog is or *looks* like it is breed X or a mix
thereof, then you are SOL." And short of producing breed registration
papers, there's not a whole lot the owner can do to prove that their
dog is *not* "breed X or a mix thereof."

--
Shelly
http://cat-sidh.net (the Mothership)
Old June 6th 07, 01:12 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
pfoley

"Suja" wrote in message

"Shelly" wrote in message:

Anyway, I can't help but think that
misrepresenting your dog's breed(s) is cowardly.

I don't know about that. Around here, veterinary offices often will turn
Pit mixes into something else. Isabelle is a Shepherd mix, for example -
the owner specifically tried to correct it, and was told that they'd

prefer
if she was listed as another breed that might be in her, in case of BSL

that
requires vets to turn over their records for the purpose of banning dogs

of
a certain breed in the jurisdiction.

Suja

=============
Yes, I have seen that done with Pittie mixes quite a bit, and I am sure it
is done only for the good of the dog.

Old June 6th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Paul E. Schoen

"diddy" wrote in message

Regardless of the breeds or no breeds (And I think that list is largely
ficticious, someone just went through lists of breeds over 100 pounds so
they could make the list look longer for the legislation in IOWA(?) that
had breed bans in one "City" over 100 pounds. If a source has to make up
breeds to validate their position, they aren't very credible anyway.

If Muttley's city decides to instill breed bans over 100 pounds, Muttley
is
still probably SOL regardless of non-breed status

Except that he weighs just 76 pounds, and he's probably finished growing,
unless he gets fat. He doesn't eat a whole lot for a dog his size, and I do
hope to get a fence put up soon so he can run around safely and play. He
has no idea what to do with a ball or a frisbee, but he is quite agile.

Paul and half-sized Anatolian Muttley

Old June 6th 07, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

On Wed, 06 Jun 2007 00:12:25 GMT, "pfoley"
wrote:

Yes, I have seen that done with Pittie mixes quite a bit, and I am sure it
is done only for the good of the dog.

Oh, ferpetesake! They are Pit Bulls, not pitties. Ugh. Anyway,
people do awfully funny things "for the good of the dog." I seem to
recall Ingrid Newkirk bloviating at great length about how Pit Bulls
should be exterminated, for their own good.

Old June 6th 07, 01:37 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:10:14 -0500, diddy
wrote:

If Muttley's city decides to instill breed bans over 100 pounds, Muttley is
still probably SOL regardless of non-breed status

Or 75lbs or 50lbs.

But I wasn't addressing the list of supposedly band breeds, because
it's irrelevant. Breed bans suck, period, no matter what breeds they
are aimed at, and anyone who really, truly cares about dogs and about
responsible dog ownership ought to be able to figure out why they
suck. *Your* dogs will never be threatened by BSL.

Paul's smug answers, as always, gross me out. I admit that I've got a
low tolerance for assholishness on the subject of breed bans. I know
just how tenuous the line is between allowed and not allowed, once you
allow that line to be drawn. But, since you own magical Elkhounds, I
don't expect you to understand.

Old June 6th 07, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
diddy

in thread : Shelly
whittled the following words:

wrote:

If Muttley's city decides to instill breed bans over 100 pounds,
Muttley is still probably SOL regardless of non-breed status

Or 75lbs or 50lbs.

But I wasn't addressing the list of supposedly band breeds, because
it's irrelevant. Breed bans suck, period, no matter what breeds they
are aimed at, and anyone who really, truly cares about dogs and about
responsible dog ownership ought to be able to figure out why they
suck. *Your* dogs will never be threatened by BSL.

Paul's smug answers, as always, gross me out. I admit that I've got a
low tolerance for assholishness on the subject of breed bans. I know
just how tenuous the line is between allowed and not allowed, once you
allow that line to be drawn. But, since you own magical Elkhounds, I
don't expect you to understand.

Magical? Or well behaved? Your passive aggression seems almost like
jealousy.
anyhow.

IF that list were "real" and I can't believe it is, It shows breeds that
don't even google as actual breeds with breed standards or stud books. How
odd.........
It shows how nothing is too obscure to be exempt from the radar screen.
And if they keep peeling off the top of the threat lists, another breed
then rises to the top thus hitting the radar.
HOW many breeds does the AKC recognise? Without looking it up, I think it's
something like 137 breeds. Doesn't take very long to peel off the top
until "ANY" breed hits the radar. And therein lies the problem.

I hope my breed stays under the radar and unpopular for many years to come.
Did I ever mention they SHED!!!!!!
Old June 6th 07, 01:53 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Shelly

On Tue, 05 Jun 2007 19:44:53 -0500, diddy
wrote:

Magical? Or well behaved?

I said magical. I don't know your dogs, so I don't know whether or
not they are well behaved.

Your passive aggression seems almost like
jealousy.
anyhow.

Over the years, you've made repeated allusions to how your breed is,
and will never be, on any BSL list. Good for you.

IF that list were "real" and I can't believe it is, It shows breeds that
don't even google as actual breeds with breed standards or stud books. How
odd.........

I DO NOT CARE. That is why I did not address it. Why you replied to
my post with a comment on *Paul's* original post is a mystery to me.

Doesn't take very long to peel off the top
until "ANY" breed hits the radar. And therein lies the problem.

There is a problem, for sure, but I do not think you truly understand
it. If you did, you would not support BSL.

NEW BREEDS Dee Dog breeds 10 September 26th 06 02:22 PM
GDI is a "Top 50" Inc500 Listed Company...Are You Tired of Working Hard to Make Someone Else Rich? [email protected] Dog behavior 0 September 13th 06 11:00 AM
Saw two new breeds White Monkey Dog breeds 7 October 3rd 05 01:18 PM
Lab-like breeds?? Marcel Beaudoin Dog breeds 19 May 14th 05 01:10 AM
Goldens, colors and genes Darby Wiggins Dog breeds 22 January 21st 05 05:18 PM