Which breed should I get???

Old December 1st 08, 04:39 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sighthounds & siberians

Default Which breed should I get???

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008 15:46:53 GMT, Robin Nuttall
wrote:

sighthounds & siberians wrote:

I got Robin the Whippet for agility, shortly before I became unable to
do anything involving, or even resembling, the word "agile". But I've
not seen many Whippets competing in agility, and I've always wondered
why. Have you? I guess you must have, or you wouldn't say that.
They certainly have the drive to run/chase and do well in lure
coursing and amateur racing.

There are a couple in my area that are incredible. Some are what we call
"Princess Whippets," soft and also very finicky about things. One of my
best friends has a whippet from racing lines and he's just starting.
He's got a lot of potential but he's a soft, serious dog.

I don't think they're all princesses, but I've never met a Whippet
that isn't soft. They are incredible athletes, which is what made me
want to do agility with Robin. I think it takes a special trainer to
channel the drive in a soft dog.

Mustang Sally

Old December 7th 08, 03:40 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
Frank Morris

Howdy Mah,
What do you want to do with the dog? If you just want a companion for
the Min Pin at least the Basenji is closer to the same size than the
others. The Saluki doesn't like in your face dogs. Salukis are usually
very calm indoors. When they get outdoors they will run for their play
and the MP won't be able to keep up. The Saluki will get bored with the
normal fetch and run games rather quickly. One other thing; If you don't
want a chunky Greyhound, get a skinny one (just kidding) :-) Hope this
helps.

Frank X. Morris http://community.webtv.net/Sulkhalil/ChimeandFriends

Old December 7th 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
John

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
On 30 Nov 2008 20:03:07 GMT, Rocky wrote:

sighthounds & siberians said in
rec.pets.dogs.breeds:

Silly and clownlike aren't the first characteristics that
come to mind when I think Basenji. They're a handful, with
a capital hand.

I agree. The adjectives I'd associate with Basenji are
confrontational, loud, and independent.

The OP needs to identify more closely the activities s/he wants
to do with the dog. My personal preference in sighthounds for
what I'm involved in is Whippet.

I got Robin the Whippet for agility, shortly before I became unable to
do anything involving, or even resembling, the word "agile". But I've
not seen many Whippets competing in agility, and I've always wondered
why. Have you? I guess you must have, or you wouldn't say that.
They certainly have the drive to run/chase and do well in lure
coursing and amateur racing.

Mustang Sally

Consider Greyhounds. There are a lot of them, and they're very easily
domesticated. Actually, they're quite lazy.

Old December 7th 08, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
John

"Judy" wrote in message
wrote in message
Thanks for your help... NOT. I honestly wanted help and you two are
just chating with each other.

You seem to misunderstand the purpose and function of this group.

This is a discussion group.

We get to discuss whatever we want. You can't control the direction the
discussion may take after your original statements. You ask a question
and you may get answers. You may get questions. You may get no response
whatsoever. Your question may trigger a question on someone else's part -
which is sort of what happened here - that may or may not be related to
your question. (In this case it is.)

In this case, the discussion IS about one of the breeds you are - or could
be - considering. It IS discussing some factors of the personality of the
breed. It may not be in the form you expected but there is information
there for you.

You did get some answers. As it happens, from people who are
knowledgeable about the subject. Certainly more knowledgeable than you.
Maybe you didn't like the answers but you did get some. This is a Usenet
discussion group, not a website with volunteers or professionals standing
by waiting for you to ask a question.

Judy

You're really NOT very helpful to the op

Old December 7th 08, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds

In article ,
John wrote:
You're really NOT very helpful to the op

I think extended discussions of what a breed's really all
about by people with long involvments with the breed tend to
be more informative than not. Perhaps you'd be more
comfortable with someone cutting and pasting breed standards
from club websites.

Old December 7th 08, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
sighthounds & siberians

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 14:11:35 -0500, "John" wrote:

"sighthounds & siberians" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm assuming you're addressing the OP; I already have 3 greyhounds.
An ex-racer was suggested to the OP, but she says they're too chunky
for her.

But, ?? I'm not sure what you mean by "easily domesticated". They
are already domestic animals.

Old December 11th 08, 06:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

I'm not a girl. Some people have been very helpful, but you have been
rude, arrogant, and stupid about the whole topic. I do not appreciate
your posts or you condescending tone. I have talked with many
sighthound people and all of them agree with me, greyhounds are not
very sighthound-like. They don't act like other sighthounds, they are
sissified dogs and I personally don't like them and I don't want one.

Old December 11th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.breeds
[email protected]

On Dec 11, 1:55*am, wrote:
I'm not a girl. Some people have been very helpful, but you have been
rude, arrogant, and stupid about the whole topic. I do not appreciate
your posts or you condescending tone. I have talked with many
sighthound people and all of them agree with me, greyhounds are not
very sighthound-like. They don't act like other sighthounds, they are
sissified dogs and I personally don't like them and I don't want one.

I know I really should ignore this post, because I suspect you're a
troll. I'm nearly always willing to take responsibility for my
behavior, and I'd like to suggest you do the same. I may have been
rude; I don't think I was arrogant, and I'm quite sure I wasn't
stupid. Here's what's stupid: to go on a discussion group and expect
it to be some sort of magic free help service. Here's something else
that's stupid: to expect strangers to suggest what dog breed would be
suitable for you when you haven't provided information as to what, if
any, activities you plan to participate in with the dog. Here are a
couple of things that are rude: to complain when people have a
*discussion* about dog breeds (remember, this is a discussion group)
instead of devoting all their attention to your question; to insult
particular dog breeds, which may be the breeds of choice of people who
frequent that discussion group.

I'm relieved to hear you're not a "girl". I got that you don't want a
greyhound - that's why I didn't suggest one to you; their
characteristics don't fit what you initially said you were looking
for. I've owned sighthounds, and that's both multiple sighthounds and
multiple breeds of sighthounds at the same time, for over 13 years,
and I bet I know more sighthound owners than you do. I don't care if
every person you've ever talked to says greyhounds are sissified; it's
not true, and if you'd ever seen them run, you'd know that. I'm glad
you don't want a greyhound, because you don't deserve one. Here's a
suggestion for you: go to a dog show, talk to owners of breeds you
admire, and then do your own research on those breeds to find what
breed suits you best. I hope it's not a sighthound.

[...]

are already domestic animals.- Hide quoted text -