Raw food advantages / dangers

Old March 25th 09, 08:14 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

Default Raw food advantages / dangers

I've been feeding raw beef hearts as well as marrow bones and other raw
bones to Muttley for a while. He really enjoys them and I think it is
healthy and natural. But a friend says that I should cook them to eliminate
the possibility of him getting worms. However, she also gives her dog
cooked chicken bones, so I think her advice is a bit suspect. Also, she
claims that raw beef can make a dog aggressive.

I did a little research and came up with some conflicting advice. There are
some that advise feeding raw beef hearts and liver as part of a cure for
heartworms, and others that recommend cooking all meats.

http://www.heartwormfree.com/support.htm
http://www.fluther.com/disc/5050/is-...-beef-to-dogs/
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_eating_raw_beef_harmful
http://www.medterms.com/script/main/...ticlekey=12322
http://www.animalfood.com/rttinfo.htm

Paul and Muttley

Old March 26th 09, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
I've been feeding raw beef hearts as well as marrow bones and other raw
bones to Muttley for a while. He really enjoys them and I think it is
healthy and natural. But a friend says that I should cook them to eliminate
the possibility of him getting worms. However, she also gives her dog
cooked chicken bones, so I think her advice is a bit suspect. Also, she
claims that raw beef can make a dog aggressive.

It's a rare thing to get worms from human grade meat these days.
Especially in dogs, the food is digested a lot faster than in humans and
their stomach acid is also stronger.

Anyone that says eating raw would make a dog aggressive hasn't a clue.

I did a little research and came up with some conflicting advice. There are
some that advise feeding raw beef hearts and liver as part of a cure for
heartworms, and others that recommend cooking all meats.

I know several people who have totally raw fed dogs that don't use
heartworm "preventative" at all and have done so for many years, even
here in Florida.

Be careful with the liver though. It can cause loose stools. Balance it
out with some bone, like some beef or pork ribs or some chicken.

Old March 26th 09, 01:08 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
I know several people [ ... ]

It's like science, only completely different!

Old March 26th 09, 08:03 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen

"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...
Paul E. Schoen wrote:
I've been feeding raw beef hearts as well as marrow bones and other raw
bones to Muttley for a while. He really enjoys them and I think it is
healthy and natural. But a friend says that I should cook them to
eliminate the possibility of him getting worms. However, she also gives
her dog cooked chicken bones, so I think her advice is a bit suspect.
Also, she claims that raw beef can make a dog aggressive.

It's a rare thing to get worms from human grade meat these days.
Especially in dogs, the food is digested a lot faster than in humans and
their stomach acid is also stronger.

Anyone that says eating raw would make a dog aggressive hasn't a clue.

That's what I thought. However, I have heard that animals are often fed
hormones and other chemicals that may remain in raw meat. Perhaps
testosterone and other steroids, or adrenaline that may have been pumped
into the animal's blood system enroute to being slaughtered. But I have not
noticed Muttley being aggressive, except that he loves the raw beef hearts
so much I need to remind him to take it gently if I hand feed him. He gets
rather excited, and I have felt his teeth, but he has good bite inhibition.

I did a little research and came up with some conflicting advice. There
are some that advise feeding raw beef hearts and liver as part of a cure
for heartworms, and others that recommend cooking all meats.

I know several people who have totally raw fed dogs that don't use
heartworm "preventative" at all and have done so for many years, even
here in Florida.

Be careful with the liver though. It can cause loose stools. Balance it
out with some bone, like some beef or pork ribs or some chicken.

I have not given him liver, as it is more expensive, and actually I enjoy
eating it myself (although not raw). I often give him beef marrow bones,
which I get for about $1 to $1.50/lb, but there is not much marrow, and he
only gnaws off some of the bone. Yet they give him long-term satisfaction
for his need to chew on something. I gave him some beef bones that had a
lot of meat on them, and he was able to eat all of that.

I usually get ribs and chicken already cooked, or I cook it myself, so the
cooked bones are probably not safe. I have given him chicken bones in the
past, with no problem, as he tends to chew things thoroughly, but I'd
rather not take a chance.

Thanks for your perspective. We can agree to disagree on some items but
hopefully maintain mutual respect, which is something that is beyond the
narrow-minded abilities of most people who infest this newsgroup. Give my
regards to Jerry. I really *don't* yank and choke Muttley anymore, and his
prong collar has been unused for two years!

Paul and Muttley

Old March 27th 09, 08:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Iain Bishop wrote:
Make sure Muttleys also getting his veggies! If you're going to give him raw
or natural dog food you need to give him other things besides meat and bones
for him to get all his nutrients. http://naturaldogfood.com.au/ says 15%
fruit and veg. If he won't eat fruit and veg you could think about giving
him dog vitamins instead. http://www.vitaminsforthedog.com explains all
about dog vitamins and dog supplements.
I feed my dog raw meat and bones and fruit and veggie scraps from our own
cooking. She loves it A LOT more than commercial dog food.

Dogs can get all their nutrients from meat, bones and organ meat. They
don't need fruit and vegetables. Indeed, many dogs develop allergies
when fed such things. They wouldn't need vitamins and supplements
either. Those are for kibble fed dogs which really don't get good
nutrition from kibble.
Old March 27th 09, 08:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Mar 26, 8:08*am, (Melinda Shore) wrote:
In article ,

--
* * *Melinda Shore - Software longa, hardware brevis -

* * * Prouder than ever to be a member of the reality-based community

What is the "science" behind your bitterness? What is the "scientific"
reason that you are a lesbian?
Old March 27th 09, 08:06 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Paul E. Schoen wrote:
[...]

I buy beef ribs for them. Good recreational chewing there.

Thanks for your perspective. We can agree to disagree on some items but
hopefully maintain mutual respect, which is something that is beyond the
narrow-minded abilities of most people who infest this newsgroup. Give my
regards to Jerry. I really *don't* yank and choke Muttley anymore, and his
prong collar has been unused for two years!

Paul and Muttley

Good for you Paul! I agree, respect is sorely lacking in this group.
Instead of exchanging ideas and information it's all about personal
attacks and venom.
Old March 27th 09, 11:55 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

What is the "science" behind your bitterness? What is the "scientific"
reason that you are a lesbian?

Hi - "science" is process/methodology. I don't really
understand your comment - could you explain what you mean?

Old March 27th 09, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Melinda Shore wrote:
What is the "science" behind your bitterness? What is the "scientific"
reason that you are a lesbian?

Hi - "science" is process/methodology. I don't really
understand your comment - could you explain what you mean?

You don't understand that everyone sees you as being a bitch? How could
you miss that?
Old March 27th 09, 12:46 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
chardonnay9 wrote:
You don't understand that everyone sees you as being a bitch? How could
you miss that?

No, your first statement is incorrect on the facts. But I'm
not sure how he connects that to "science," particularly
since he doesn't seem to understand what "science" actually
is, so I'm curious about what he sees as the connection.