Dog yelping in pain but can't identify why?

Old June 10th 09, 09:16 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
diddy[_2_]

Default Dog yelping in pain but can't identify why?

spoke these words of wisdom in
:

But Regardless... no dog in my house is going to act that way. So I had a
little Come to Jesus meeting with him, and put the proper fear of god

into
him, and Tuck can walk by his bowl all he wants, and i can take anything
from him that I want to.

Whatever was starting with him, finished right then..

He thought he was going to die.

I thought he was too.

Taking out faces is a ZERO TOLERANCE proposition.

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. No, the ESS is not too young for
this. And if he is genetically extremely assertive, and it's not just
an owner or leadership problem, which can rather easily be corrected,
you will be tested again and again. I don't know what the
circumstances were here, but it sounds like you may have a real
problem on your hands.

Nope.. It's solved. It was not neurological.

It was lack of bite inhibition and lack of respect for his elders.

Tuck is not the pack leader. "I" Am, and he decided to take charge.

I have news, as pack leader, I have the right to assign who I want to
lead.. And it's ME.

It's ALL about ME.

And I made it pretty clear if he wants to live life on this planet, his
behavior HAD to change.

And no.. I wouldn't have him put down.

If he ever thinks of touching Tuck again, I'll kill him on the spot. And I
think the message was sent loud and clear. There was no mistaking that in
his little springer mind.

In the meantime... He's not trying to get away with anything, the two
snuggle up and cuddle together, and I make sure their food bowls are now
touching when they eat, so they must eat cheek to cheek.

And I'm ready to take out the dog who twitches a whisker.

All of a sudden there are zero resource guarding issues. And we do a lot of
resource guarding tests around here too.

He's wonderful around children. He's now wonderful around other dogs. He
just needed things put in a little different perspective.

His only problems now, are he's not the sharpest tool in the shed, and
incredibly BUSY.. night and day, and night, and day..

He's a very sweet dog. The incident with Tuck was so sudden and savage,
that the vets did not expect such savagery from such a young puppy.

So they instantly labeled him with Springer Rage..

And that was so wrong.

This was a young puppy, who was very assured that he was cute, loveable,
and could do no wrong. He decided to stake his territory.

He IS very assertive. He doesn't take no for an aswer. He's not easily
disswayed.

But he also learned his place in the pack, and also was bright enough to
know that you don't mess with MY dog.

They are favorite buddies. Tuck won't go out without him. Tuck has forgiven
him completely.

And he adores Tuck

You might want to consult with an experienced
behaviorist, especially if small children could ever be involved. I
don't think you will ever be able to trust him with small children, or
possibly even with strangers, again. I would check with your breeder,
and if there were any signs of this behavior with his siblings or
close relatives (two generations), you may want to consider having him
put down.

http://www.essfta.org/health_research/aggression.htm
“Rage Syndrome” is an old term, essentially a misnomer that should be
dropped from the behavior vocabulary. Rage implies a violent,
emotional reaction. While this may apply to sudden outbursts of
violence in people, it really doesn’t help us determine why a similar
incident occurred in dogs. The records of many dogs previously
diagnosed with “Springer Rage Syndrome” were reviewed, and various
forms of aggression were actually displayed. As part of my own
behavior practice, I frequently evaluate dogs with so-called “Rage
Syndrome”. So far, all of these dogs have been diagnosed with another
form of aggression, including dominance aggression, fear-related
aggression, resource guarding, and territorial behaviors. Dominance
aggression was the most common diagnosis, when current diagnostic
criteria were applied.

Old June 10th 09, 09:37 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 15:16:16 -0500, diddy none wrote:

[...]

I hope you are right. But neurological soundness has nothing to do
with being genetically extremely assertive. And if he is the latter
(hopefully he isn't), you will see this behavior again, but he'll pick
his opportunities more carefully, particularly after he's fully
matured. But let's go with your hunch and hope that it's not genetic.
I'd talk to the dog's breeder though, and check out his background,
just to play it safe.
Old June 11th 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

diddy wrote:

But Regardless... no dog in my house is going to act that way. So I had a
little Come to Jesus meeting with him, and put the proper fear of god into
him, and Tuck can walk by his bowl all he wants, and i can take anything
from him that I want to.

Whatever was starting with him, finished right then..

He thought he was going to die.

I thought he was too.

Taking out faces is a ZERO TOLERANCE proposition.

Even more violence by the regulars here. All I can do is cry and hope
that dog escapes or manages to end up with someone much more
compassionate. Spare me the details....
Old June 11th 09, 03:11 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

diddy wrote:
[...]

You are a sick and twisted bitch!
Old June 11th 09, 03:20 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

chardonnay9 wrote:
diddy wrote:
[...]

Funny.

Weren't you just bllyaching that people
weren't being civil to you?

You reap what you sow.
Old June 11th 09, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
[email protected]

On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 22:08:40 -0400, chardonnay9

I'm sorry to hear about your dog. No, the ESS is not too young for
this. And if he is genetically extremely assertive, and it's not just
an owner or leadership problem, which can rather easily be corrected,
you will be tested again and again. I don't know what the
circumstances were here, but it sounds like you may have a real
problem on your hands. You might want to consult with an experienced
behaviorist, especially if small children could ever be involved. I
don't think you will ever be able to trust him with small children, or
possibly even with strangers, again. I would check with your breeder,
and if there were any signs of this behavior with his siblings or
close relatives (two generations), you may want to consider having him
put down.

Yeah, lets kill any dog that objects to physical and mental violence and
acts out because of it, that's the ticket!

What physical or mental violence? He apparently seriously attacked a
dog simply for coming too near him while he was eating. If this
actually is a genetically extremely assertive dog, as described in
that article written by a behaviorist familiar with the problem of
canine aggression, and other dogs in his pedigree have shown similar
behaviors, euthanasia, rather than passing the problem along to
others, may be the best, and safest, option. Do you have small
children? Some behaviors can't be changed. Our shelters are currently
filled to the brim with dogs that have never bitten anyone, dog or
man, and most of them will be euthanized there. No one enjoys having a
dog put down, but culling genetically unstable dogs from the gene pool
can only help prevent the accidents we hear about everyday in the
news, and will also reduce, over time, the overall number of dogs that
need to be put down in shelters. This dog's owner appears to think
he's not genetically predisposed to such behavior, so maybe this was
just a onetime affair. I hope so.
Old June 11th 09, 04:02 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Kathleen

diddy wrote:
[...]

I hope you're right. Truly I do. But given only the info you've
provided here, the bottom of my heart, the pit of my stomach and the
back of my neck are telling me that this is not the last of it. Will
you be able to live with yourself if you're wrong?

As a dog owner with BCs and a JRT, as a parent, a teacher and captain of
a flyball team full of gonzo personalities, I routinely make judgements
that affect the safety and well being of my animals, loved ones,
friends, teammates and the public. And sometimes, no matter what we do,
no matter how hard we work and try and rehab, to my deep and abiding
disappointment and dismay, I have to say, "Oh hell no. Get that dog out
of here right now."

Old June 11th 09, 01:58 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Alex wrote:
Hi,

My pup is 6 months old and has been yelping in pain for about 2 weeks.
He has visited the vet twice, had two physical exams and an x ray but
the vet has not identified anything physically wrong with the dog.

He has been taking a pain reliever and something to reduce swelling.
The pup is not yelping all the time just occasionally making it
difficult to isolate it to any one area of his body. He seems to yelp
more when he is moving then when he is lying down.

One minute he is playing with a Kong ball the next he is walking
around yelping in pain.

Any ideas?

Pet communicator.

Research it before you dismiss it.

Trying to identify my dog mix for training ... buzzsaw Dog breeds 55 September 20th 05 05:22 PM
Trying to identify my dog mix for training ... buzzsaw Dog rescue 2 September 16th 05 01:17 AM
can someone help us identify the breed(s) in this pup dixie Dog breeds 20 June 6th 05 04:16 AM
Help Identify the breed Q Dog breeds 7 February 3rd 05 08:31 PM
Help Identify Breed Of My New Pup JD Dog breeds 1 October 29th 03 03:32 PM