What's the best food for your Dog?

Old June 30th 09, 05:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil L

Default What's the best food for your Dog?

chardonnay9 wrote:
Phil L wrote:

Yes, carnivorous means meat eater, but if you feed any meat eater
nothing but meat, it will eventually starve to death,

What planet does that happen on? I know people who have fed nothing
but meat to their pets for decades and the pets certainly didn't
starve to death.

Earth, and that's because they didn't feed them entirely on meat, or their
animals had to scavenge for vegetable matter, which is essential.

people have tried feeding
reptiles on nothing but meat and offal because they disagree about
the furry animals thing, but they have killed their pets instead

Furry animals *are* meat.

And inside the furry animal is corn, oats, rice, carrots, peas, broccolli
and seeds, which is what keeps the snakes alive (snakes can't chew)

Even lions and tigers make a bee-line for their prey's digestive
system, which is normally full of hay, roots, leaves and other
vegetation, as do wolves, which I presume you are making your
assumptions on.
Are you sure of that? Cuz it's not true.

It is true, and the 'lions share', meaning what the pride leader
gets, before any of the cubs or females get, is just this - the
entrails, the most nutritious part of the kill, which may be
responsible for the high mortality rates of lion cubs.

Entrails are not stomach content and this has nothing to do with high
mortality rates of lion cubs.

They eat the stomach contents of their prey:

Characteristics of carnivores
Characteristics commonly 'associated' with carnivores include organs for
capturing and disarticulating prey (teeth and claws serve these functions in
many vertebrates) and status as a predator. In truth, these assumptions may
be misleading, as some carnivores do not hunt and are scavengers (though
most hunting carnivores will scavenge when the opportunity exists). Thus
they do not have the characteristics associated with hunting carnivores.
Carnivores have comparatively short digestive systems as they are not
required to break down tough cellulose found in plants.

Plant material
In most cases, some plant material is essential for adequate nutrition,
particularly with regard to minerals, vitamins and fiber. Most wild
carnivores consume this in the digestive system of their prey. Many
carnivores also eat herbivore dung, presumably to obtain essential nutrients
that they could not otherwise obtain, since their dentition and digestive
system do not permit efficient processing of vegetable matter.

The above passage is from wiki's carnivore page :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnivore

Even though it's debatable as to whether dogs are true carnivores,
facultative carnivores or omnivores, either way they cannot live on meat
alone, because it's already been shown that pure carnivores (lions, tigers
etc) *have* to eat some vegetable matter regularly, so even if you lump dogs
in this class, you have yo agree that dogs need vegetation to thrive

--
Phil L
RSRL Tipster Of The Year 2008

Old June 30th 09, 11:38 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
chardonnay9

Phil L wrote:

Even though it's debatable as to whether dogs are true carnivores,
facultative carnivores or omnivores, either way they cannot live on meat
alone, because it's already been shown that pure carnivores (lions, tigers
etc) *have* to eat some vegetable matter regularly, so even if you lump dogs
in this class, you have yo agree that dogs need vegetation to thrive

Actually you haven't shown that they *have* to eat vegetable matter at all.
Old June 30th 09, 11:40 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Melinda Shore wrote:

exasperate your reputation

This is my new favorite phrase.

If I could just figure out how to work int
into a sentence....
Old July 1st 09, 12:23 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

exasperate your reputation

This is my new favorite phrase.

If I could just figure out how to work int into a sentence....

Isn't there some literature you should have read that would answer this for
you?

Old July 1st 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Tara Green

Sharon Too wrote:
exasperate your reputation

This is my new favorite phrase.

If I could just figure out how to work int into a sentence....

Isn't there some literature you should have read that would answer this for
you?

Well, the only thing I've been reading lately
is my several hundred page medical text. And
that doesn't say word about it ;-)
Old July 1st 09, 06:45 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"Tara Green" wrote in message
Sharon Too wrote:
exasperate your reputation
This is my new favorite phrase.

If I could just figure out how to work int into a sentence....

Isn't there some literature you should have read that would answer this
for you?

Well, the only thing I've been reading lately is my several hundred page
medical text. And that doesn't say word about it ;-)

Exasperate means to frustrate or make angry. Can that be applied to one's
reputation?
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exasperate

Exacerbate means to irritate or make worse. Which apparently happened to
FurPaw
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/exacerbate

If aspirate means to breathe or inhale, then exaspirate would mean to stop
breathing? I suppose one's reputation could do that...
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aspirate

Paul and Muttley

Old July 1st 09, 07:27 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Sharon Too

If aspirate means to breathe or inhale, then exaspirate would mean to stop
breathing? I suppose one's reputation could do that...
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aspirate

Then there's masturbate........

come on... it was only a matter of time

Old July 1st 09, 07:43 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Paul E. Schoen[_3_]

"Sharon Too" wrote in message
If aspirate means to breathe or inhale, then exaspirate would mean to
stop breathing? I suppose one's reputation could do that...
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/aspirate

Then there's masturbate........

come on... it was only a matter of time

Do you really mean "cum on"? Hey, you got it started...

There was a guy in my drafting class in HS whose name was Rocky Bates. The
instructor insisted on addressing him by the salutation "Master".

Paul and Muttley

Old July 1st 09, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

In article ,
Sharon Too wrote:
come on... it was only a matter of time

With Paul, you can be sure it was already happening.

Old July 1st 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Steve[_4_]

"chardonnay9" wrote in message
m...
Steve wrote:
My labrador likes to eat vegetables from our garden. I know it's not
because she's hungry because she has done it when there has been meat in
her bowl. So far she has eaten carrots, a capsicum, part of a butternut
pumpkin and several corn on the cob.... Strange behaviour for a
carnivore.... Oh I almost forgot.. she has eaten about 40lbs of pine wood
that used to be part of our deck

Eating wood is definitely a strange behavior. Obviously the dog has some
issues. Some dogs eat rocks. Some dogs eat socks.

What is your point?

There needs to be a point? Ok to satisfy your request for a point, the point
is this:

Sharing for the sake of sharing and having a giggle. Being light hearted and
having fun. As for the eating wood, she's no longer teething so she stopped
at the 40lb mark. It would appear that some our K9 counterparts behaviour
would be in conflict with your ideas on their eating habits.. Ooh another
point! lol.