Gates

Old September 4th 12, 07:41 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mr Pounder

Default Gates

Probably off topic, but I'm getting a bit desperate.
We are getting no younger and have a small kitchen with no door. Our Westie
is always getting under our feet.
I'm looking for some sort of telescopic gate to keep her out.
Something that will just fold up when pushed back.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Steve

Old September 5th 12, 11:21 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Steve, the folding baby gates we used to use for kids don't work well
for dogs the size of a Westie.... they can squeeze through or get heads
caught. I have Border Terriers.... same body size range, just taller.
I use a mounted baby gate that sits flat to the floor (just a bar across
the bottom, and has a center section that swings like a door.... I also
teach my dogs to "wait" or "stay" so they don't follow me through.....
The gate I mention has verticle rails and is metal. It fastens to the
door frame with pressure thingies with rubber ends. About 27 inches
tall. I THINK I found it in a baby supply section somewhere.... but it
might have been a pet supply store (chain). The pet supply catalog
http://www.petedge.com has a variety of gates. I don't get a
kickback... just a happy customer.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 5th 12, 02:53 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mr Pounder

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
Steve, the folding baby gates we used to use for kids don't work well
for dogs the size of a Westie.... they can squeeze through or get heads
caught. I have Border Terriers.... same body size range, just taller.
I use a mounted baby gate that sits flat to the floor (just a bar across
the bottom, and has a center section that swings like a door.... I also
teach my dogs to "wait" or "stay" so they don't follow me through.....
The gate I mention has verticle rails and is metal. It fastens to the
door frame with pressure thingies with rubber ends. About 27 inches
tall. I THINK I found it in a baby supply section somewhere.... but it
might have been a pet supply store (chain). The pet supply catalog
http://www.petedge.com has a variety of gates. I don't get a
kickback... just a happy customer.

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Thanks for the reply Jo.
I may have expressed myself badly.

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/car-w...-at-home-13687

This is the sort of thing I am looking for. Something that will just fold
back.
I have seen this sort of thing somewhere but can't remember where.

Steve

Old September 6th 12, 10:04 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Yep, that's the kind I thought you meant. When I was growing up, we
used these for Kids! However! They are scarce today. The safety gurus
have made them "unsafe" for kids.... pinched fingers, heads caught,
etc.... so they are barely findable. In canine sports, we use sections
of these that will stretch out to about 10 feet, with hooks on the ends
that latch to flat panels to make our rings for shows and trials... but
I haven't seen one made to use as a regular gate in umpteen YEARS.

I've had the ones for car windows..... Nice....

I have various sizes of the pressure gates that will expand for various
uses around the house and the one I mentioned previously, that you can
walk through. The catalog I mentioned, even has some in sections for
wide archways/doors that have rollers on the bottom....

One thing I've used.... a long time ago.... was a piece of plywood with
L bars on both sides to make feet and screen door hooks to hold in teh
doorway.... Covered the wood with glued-on fabric on one side and
leatherette stuff on the other..... That was for a wider doorway than I
could find an expandable gate for in those days (1987-88?) I needed
something my dogs couldn't climb!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 6th 12, 03:32 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mr Pounder

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

I'll keep trying, if I was any good with wood I'd try to make one.
You seem to be very clued up. Or Westie is now 2 years old. When we have a
visitor she gets very excited and wees everywhere. Any ideas?

Thanks for all of your help.

Steve

Old September 7th 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Oh, yeh..... That piddling when excited usually has gone away by the
age of 2. The more fuss you make over it, the longer it will last, it
seems.

When you know someone is coming, pop Her Royal Majesty into a room and
close the door, then when your visitor is inside and settled, bring her
out on her leash! Let her say hi, politely, then you take her with you
to sit down. Once she's calm, unfasten the leash.

Another things you can do is keep a leash (I use an inexpensive puppy
leash) hanging from the doorknob or near the door. I tell the visitor
just a minute, get the dog on leash, and a bit behind me.... sitting if
the dog knows the command.... then I open the door.

Actually, this kind of piddling is called submissive piddling. It
starts when the dog is excited (did you dash around and put a few things
away before you went to the door?) and teh visitor reaches down, usually
right into the dog's face, to pet the head.... breaking all sorts of
dog-manners rules learned from mom-dog.

So it's worth it to train repeat visitors to ignore the dog while
coming in, and until seated and settled.... then let a hand hang down
and the dog will investigate the fingers. Petting should start with an
Under the Chin scratchie, then the neck, then the top of the head.... or
start with the dog's back or side, coming from the side, not the front.

Here's something we teach school kids about dog safety.... Hold your
hand like a claw. Bring it from above your head right into your face
from in front. YUCK! That's what the dog sees! And some dogs piddle
submissively standing up and some flop onto their backs and piddle....
and some nip at the fingers. Or dash away.

Another sneaky trick is to keep a small jar with GREAT treats near the
door. When you go to the door, just before you open it, show Her
Royalness the treat and toss it across the room! Darn few terriers
ignore food!!!!!!!!! Get your visitor in, door closed, and sitting....
You can always toss another treat or two....

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 7th 12, 05:02 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mr Pounder

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for your expertise and effort. Much appreciated
I may have found a dog gate thing.
Expanding trellis as used in the garden. It just folds away. We are going to
have a look at one tomorrow.

Steve
Lancashire, England

Old September 8th 12, 06:35 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

SUPER!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

Old September 8th 12, 03:45 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Mr Pounder

"Jo Wolf" wrote in message
SUPER!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA

£3.95 ----- round about $3?
Sort of a stand on each end, it just sits in front of the kitchen. So far
the dog has not tried to breach the barrier.

Old September 9th 12, 05:48 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Jo Wolf

Boy, that's a winner at that price!

Jo Wolf
Martinez, Georgia, USA