Strange behavior (seizure?)

Old July 2nd 13, 07:41 PM
Alison Genet Alison Genet is offline
Junior Member

Default Strange behavior (seizure?)

I have a yorkie male 1yr 1/2 he will suddenly start running around the house absolutely scared to death, ears back tail down. During this time can be anywhere from 2 hrs to 9 hrs long, he will not eat,drink,won't go to the bathroom until he can't hold it and urinates as he is running around. When he was a puppy around 3 months he started doing this, they were not as severe and not as often as he is doing now. As he got older they were coming about every 4-6 wks, recently they have been about every three wks, until last week every other day for the past 8 days one lasting 16 yrs of running and whining for the whole time. Last night was pretty bad the vet (which has no clue) gave us Xanax to give him we did and after the episode was over he ran around like a mad dog hungry, thirsty running faster than in his episodes. Please if anyone has any suggestions in what causes this and anything that might calm him down I'm desperate in finding a solution it's a sad thing to watch and I can't help him
Old July 2nd 13, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health
Phil L

Alison Genet wrote:
[...]

Find a different vet immediately and take your dog there ASAP, I'm not a vet
but it sounds like it could be Canine epilepsy, which needs tests performing
and possibly (probably) medication.
Google for canine epilepsy and see if any of the symptoms fit your dog.
CE can be caused by many things, brain injury, encephalitis, poisoning, heat
stroke, abcesses etc etc, which is why he needs tests performing at the
earliest opportunity.
It sounds like it's getting worse, so why your vet gave you Xanax without
testing him is beyond me.

Strange Behavior teleflora Dog behavior 19 September 20th 07 08:50 PM
suden odd seizure like behavior [email protected] Dog health 3 October 25th 06 03:27 AM
Strange behavior Remondelli Nicholas Dog health 0 June 22nd 05 12:02 AM
Strange Dog Behavior Pelufo Dog health 2 February 22nd 05 09:47 AM
strange dog behavior [email protected] Dog behavior 3 January 14th 05 10:07 AM