healing time for bone fracture

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 10th 05, 09:18 AM posted to rec.pets.dogs.health

Default healing time for bone fracture

I suspect my shepherd might have either a hair line fracture of one of
the bones in her foot or possibly a soft tissue injury. (I think she
might have caught her toe on something when she was running.) A week ago
she began walking on three legs. She had a very small amount of
swelling in the foot of her rear leg. I rested her (walking only on a
leash). After about a day and a half she was walking on all four
without any apparent problem. After a couple days she ran some with a
couple sprints; 20 minutes later she went back to walking on three legs.
An hour or so later she was back on four.

I have tried to keep her from running the past week, and for the most
part I have been successful. This morning she thought she saw something
in the yard that needed chasing so she sprinted after it. She started
using only three legs again. Less than an hour later she was fine.

So...how long does it generally take for a slight fracture to
heal...soft tissue injury? She is a very active/physical 3 year old
German shepherd dog.

rec.pets.dogs: Australian Shepherds Breed-FAQ Randy 'n Monica Barger Dog info 0 November 18th 05 06:36 AM
White Bull Terrier Admin Dog breeds 27 September 6th 05 01:53 PM
Dogs, disappointment...and maybe voodoo? dh@. Dog health 19 July 12th 05 03:38 PM
Arthritis in my lab Bob Dog health 8 March 5th 04 04:38 AM
My Dog is getting more agressive every time Alfonso Moran Dog behavior 0 July 25th 03 09:12 PM